Cruise Fares are too low !!!

Cruise lines are the hardest and most complex business to be in. The costs are huge and returns are small. Airlines are loosing money but cheapest flight by Qantas from Sydney to Adelaide is $160 each way for a total of $320. A Celebrity cheapest cruise 8 nights return to Adelaide is $247 plus tax. (CC member inside cabin) Which one is better value and which one has higher running cost?. Yes cruises are to cheap.

Edited by burchan

Cruise lines are the hardest and most complex business to be in. The costs are huge and returns are small. Airlines are loosing money but cheapest flight by Qantas from Sydney to Adelaide is $160 each way for a total of $320. A Celebrity cheapest cruise 8 nights return to Adelaide is $247 plus tax. (CC member inside cabin) Which one is better value and which one has higher running cost?. Yes cruises are to cheap.

That isn't an accurate comparison. The airline price is the standard entry price. Whereas the cruise price is close to one of the cheapest ever, and as far as I can tell, and as suggested by the question from woodyren not accurate. FYI, I'm getting a price for an inside of ~$920 as a member on the AU site. Further accentuating the difference, as you stated your comparison price does not include tax for the cruise, whereas the flight cost does.

The two markets are completely different as well, which means their pricing patterns are different. People fly for transport, not as a holiday itself. So as a result, as travel plans keep being made up to the same day, bookings keep being made more frequently up to travel day.

OTOH, cruises are holiday items. So people often book at least a few months out, even 2 years out - which you can't even do with flights. Thus, bookings there are made earlier. As perishable items, the cruise line needs to get people onboard, so pricing actually falls if there is still availability close to sailing date. So, comparing a near term cruise with a near term flight are opposite ends of the market.

As that's not normal pricing by the cruise line, and the comparison is not balanced, it's not an example justifying that cruises are too cheap.

Edited by The_Big_M

I am amazed to read that Royal are saying the Chinese are becoming very discerning so need to have newer ships - does that mean that in Australia/New Zealand we are not so get all the old ships! Wonder how we can achieve the new ships too.

I am amazed to read that Royal are saying the Chinese are becoming very discerning so need to have newer ships - does that mean that in Australia/New Zealand we are not so get all the old ships! Wonder how we can achieve the new ships too.

Increase our population about 50 times as much... while still have a GDP per capita not far off where we are now.

Edited by The_Big_M

We have always had hand me downs in aus

I was told they don't like putting new ships here as the weather and itineraries are much harder in the ships here

We've also always been a tiny market as well.

Lately we're only small instead of tiny... but also don't have the capacity for the new, larger ships.

Easy to say.

Commercial lines are a little more realistic. :D

Yes, I was playing on the "Build it and they will come" adage. :cool:

I am sure we could fill them for a season and if not, at least the prices will need to be lower to fill them for every cruise. win win for us maybe not for the cruise line.:D

Yes, I was playing on the "Build it and they will come" adage. :cool:

I am sure we could fill them for a season and if not, at least the prices will need to be lower to fill them for every cruise. win win for us maybe not for the cruise line.:D

It may be win win in the short term , but if its lose lose for the cruise lines , they will just go away. They dont have generous taxpayers propping up their losses , like Qantas.:eek:

It may be win win in the short term , but if its lose lose for the cruise lines , they will just go away. They dont have generous taxpayers propping up their losses , like Qantas.:eek:

True, even in the heartland of the US, where everyone claims they get better ships than us, there are many ports that have actually been served by older ships... e.g. Houston, San Diego, New York. And when demand pipes up elsewhere, the cruiselines have at times just sent their ships on to where they believe pickings are better.

Not saying I expect them all to leave, but people aren't looking at the bigger picture when they complain that we're behind.

True, even in the heartland of the US, where everyone claims they get better ships than us, there are many ports that have actually been served by older ships... e.g. Houston, San Diego, New York. And when demand pipes up elsewhere, the cruiselines have at times just sent their ships on to where they believe pickings are better.

Not saying I expect them all to leave, but people aren't looking at the bigger picture when they complain that we're behind.

They are already limiting the (US) pacific coastal cruises.