Fast Times on Norwegian Jade (time lapse cruise video)

hdarby

Hey all!

I made a time lapse video of my cruise out of Miami on the Epic in March of 2013 that went over pretty well, so decided to do the same on my Jade cruise out of Venice in August this year. It's a video that shows a speeded up view of port arrivals and departures, plus life on the ship. I thought I'd post it here to whet the appetite of those looking forward to their cruise:

By the way, be sure to maximize the window and view in 720p or 1080p for best quality.

I'll post a link to the Epic video as the first reply to this post for those that might be interested.

Nice what frame rate were you using?

Depends on the clip. Most of the port clips were created with 2 seconds between frames, and the onboard clips were 1 second. Then the video created at 30 frames per second.

Thank you for posting! I'm on that itinerary in October and it was fun to get a 3-minute view of the experience. :D I've never done this itinerary nor been on this ship, so I really enjoyed it.

A question for you, the bridge viewing room...can any passenger go there and watch the activity on the bridge or do you need to make arrangements of special permission?

Thanks!

Thank you for posting! I'm on that itinerary in October and it was fun to get a 3-minute view of the experience. :D I've never done this itinerary nor been on this ship, so I really enjoyed it.

A question for you, the bridge viewing room...can any passenger go there and watch the activity on the bridge or do you need to make arrangements of special permission?

Thanks!

We were on the Jade earlier this year and our stateroom was close to the bridge viewing room. It is open to everyone. Port side on deck 11. There are maps and position tracking monitors in the room. They do close the window shade to the bridge when coming into ports. The behind the scene tours went to the viewing room vs. the bridge for the tour and it was crowded with all those people there at the same time. So we just went back after the tour moved on.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Enjoyed both videos!!! Thank you! I bought a GoPro for my upcoming cruise and have been playing with the time-lapse feature. Your videos have inspired me further.

I hope it's not too much to ask, Hdarby, but how did you secure your camera on the balcony? There are many options, but whatever you did worked well. (I did purchase a fairly lightweight tripod and mounts, but am concerned about wind or ship movement.)

Thanks in advance. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
... how did you secure your camera on the balcony?

Smokie, I used a tripod. Mine is a pretty sturdy one, and I had the outside legs slightly lower than the inside one so it tilted over the railing a bit. It wasn't that windy, so I never had problems with that. Good luck with it.

very cool. Did you enjoy the Jade?

Thanks. Yes, we enjoyed the cruise. I didn't think the Garden Cafe was as good as the Epic or the buffets on some other cruises that I've done, but we ate there quite often. We missed O'Sheehan's from the Epic, and hopefully they'll get one during the next dry dock. We normally don't bother eating at the fee restaurants, but this time tried Le Bistro and Shanghai's due the getting tired of the Garden Cafe, and both were very good (Le Bistro was our favorite). We mainly go for the ports, so that was the main highlight of the cruise.