help- which port not to visit main attractions

fragilek

Hi - I have to decided which of the amazing places on our cruise not to do

Back ground - family trip me dh and 2 dds 22yrs (cruise is graduation gift) and 18yrs (cruise is her 18th birthday gift)- I have MS so due the heat(summer cruise) and my mobility issues I will have to limit the amount of sightseeing we can do (although I will use my chair/scooter where I can and sticks when I need to). That's where the problem lies our cruise is Barcelona,Cannes, Livorno for Florence, Civitavecchia (Rome), Athens, Kusadasi, (for Ephesus) Santorini Salerno (for Pompeii).

My DH and I have been to Barcelona, Rome and Ephesus in the past (before MS) but the girls have not but we have no problem redoing them with the girls.

Now I will not manage the pace of doing all these places full on so will need to miss a few of the main sites out and do more relaxing things instead. We have discussed the possibility of the girls doing tours of Rome, Ephesus and Barcelona without us - but we have decided we would rather stick together as we live in the UK they will have chances in the future to revisit anything they miss.

Now the big question what should we do and what should we miss- Also what else can we do near by that is more relaxing if we miss a main site out.

So far we will probably hire a car in Cannes and drive to a few small towns- st Paul de vence and Antites.

Would like to do either Florence or Rome (Rome may be favorite with the girls)- What else can we do near Livorno- can't hire a car for full day at either as its sat car 9-2pm) (Livorno) and sun for Civitavecchia.

We like the look of Cinque terre but not sure if this is easy to get to from that port.- If not easy what else would people recommend for either Livorno or Civitavecchia

Need to choose to relax in either Athens or Kusadasi -which should we miss the main sites at - what else to do at each

How easy is getting about Athens in a wheelchair- What about Ephesus - are there paths now - I went in 1989 so has probably changed a lot.

We plan to do Pompeii - may hire a car for a morning (sat so only open unit 2pm) to make getting there as easy a possible for me so that I can struggle around the site at my own pace/ sit out instead of trying to keep up with a tour- and then fall into the car for the return - does any know if there is any parking

Thanks for any help

You've packed a dozen or so questions into a single post!

I will try to answer a few of them in bits and pieces, starting with the end -- Pompeii.

Many people have reported that it is very easy to take a special express bus to Pompeii and return. It leaves from near the port and is easier than the train (closer, and less crowded -- on the train you may not get a seat).

Rather than try to rent a car in Naples, I'd suggest you investigate taking this bus to Pompeii. As I'm sure you realize, the site isn't very friendly to those with mobility issues, but the main areas can be managed.

Ephesus would be difficult to do in a wheelchair. Since you have been before, would you consider sending your daughters on one of the ship tours here -- a half day tour there isn't a ton of money so that they don't miss it? It is such a stunning site, and a surprise to lots of people....

Regarding Athens, much of the main area around the Acropolis is now pedestrian-only with pretty good sidewalks.

There is a lift to the top of the Acropolis that can be accessed by those who can demonstrate disability -- people have said that you can pre-reserve this but others have reported they simply checked in with the ticket desk. (It may depend on availability of an operator, as it is not a standard lift but rather one that looks like a bit of an adventure straight up the side of the cliff....)

Next to the Acropolis but at ground level is the new Acropolis Museum which is very mobility-friendly, interesting, and has a terrace with great views over to the Acropolis.

Easiest way to get into Athens and back is taxi (about 20 euro each way, not sure if 4 can fit but probably with a bit of a squeeze). The metro is cheap but a fair distance from where the ships dock.

Alternatively, there is also a Hop on Hop off bus that leaves from the port and circles around to most of the key sites in Athens. This, on reflection, would be a very easy day if you need to limit your sightseeing.

Edited by cruisemom42

We just did some of these ports with my Mother in Law last October. She is not very mobile and we took a travel wheelchair and used it a lot !

Will try to address those ports we visited with her (altho we have been to all of the ones you are going to except Cannes)

Rome: Our cruise began and ended in Civitavecchia so we flew in to Rome and spent 3 nights in an apt. before boarding the ship. We pushed her around a bit and the cobblestones were problematic in places but we went slow. We also did a golf cart tour one afternoon so that she could see the main sites up close without even getting out of the cart. They can go in the pedestrian only areas so it worked out great. Trevi fountain, Pantheon, Campo di Fiori, colosseum and others were visited. It is not cheap but it allowed her to see so much more than she would have if we had not done it. The Vatican is fairly accommodating altho we had to do a different section of the museum than the most popular rooms……

Athens: we did a private tour and while the guys went up the Acropolis us two girls stayed below at a nice restaurant with a wonderful view. We then did the museum and a few stops with our guide/driver. Very doable with a wheelchair.

Kusadasi: this will be your most challenging I think. We did a private tour again but while the guys toured Ephesus we went to the carpet factory and saw the demonstration and looked at some rugs. Then the guys joined us, we bought 2 rugs and then had lunch (all included in the tour price) Ephesus cannot be done with a wheelchair for sure and I would not recommend it for anyone with mobility issues. Just too slick and steep.

Sorrento: Have not docked here (Naples instead) but not sure I would try Pompeii in a wheelchair or with mobility issues either. Just too much ground to cover - no place to sit - or really even get out of the sun. But there is a cafe area outside where you could sit while they did a 2 hr tour….then you could continue your day either on the Amalfi coast (mostly riding) with a nice lunch or in Sorrento shopping etc.

I have private tour companies I can recommend (they were very accommodating of the wheelchair etc) but can only post them IF you ask for the names……

hope this helps.

cruisemom always gives excellent advice. I especially concur with the idea of the girls taking a ship's tour of Ephesus. It is very safe and they will be just fine in the group. That will be a good day for you to rest.

The lift at the Acropolis accommodates a wheelchair perfectly well. It is mostly flat on top, so it will not be a problem. The short walk across the street to the museum will be easy to navigate. That will make for an excellent outing. The rest of Athens could be harder to navigate. You do not need to reserve the lift. A friend of ours had sprained an ankle during the cruise and was using a cane and he was allowed on the lift with no problems and no previous booking.

For Livorno, you could consider going to Pisa. The tower-duomo area is flat and it is a lot closer to the port than Florence. Maybe a 40 minute drive. You would find Cinqueterre hard to get around.

In Barcelona, you could look into a taxi to the Sagrada Familia which is accessible. If you go to their website, you could become a "friend" ("amics") which gives you access without queuing. Else, you can book a specific entry time. I believe EU residents may have some special rates for students. The basilica is accessible to the handicapped (excluding the elevators to the towers!) That would be a couple of hours outing that gives you the rest of the day to rest.

Unfortunately, not much to do in Civitavecchia and not very attractive if you decide to stay on board.

Edited by marazul

Are you saying you have a cruise that only stops at Livorno from 9 AM to 2 PM? If that's the case almost everything, including Cinque Terrre, is out of the question. You get to either Pisa or Lucca in that amount of time, however.

Frankly, I think Cinque Terre would be very difficult for you unless you go by boat, which you can pick up at La Spezia. You may not be able to walk very far up into the towns from the docks but you'd get a good sense of each place.

Also, why would you think a car isn't a possibility at Civitavecchia on a Sunday? I think a car service is your only reasonable option for Rome.

Actually, a car service might be a must for you in most of these ports due to the heat. My brother has MS and is barely able to function after 15 minutes outdoors in extreme heat, a full day would be unthinkable. The AC provided in mass transit doesn't do the job for him, so a private car where he can regulate the coolness level is critical for him on high heat days.

Edited by euro cruiser

Frankly, I think Cinque Terre would be very difficult for you unless you go by boat, which you can pick up at La Spezia. You may not be able to walk very far up into the towns from the docks but you'd get a good sense of each place.

It could be very hard to disembark from the ferry in all towns except Monterosso if the seas are rough. Been there during rough weather and it was an adventure getting off the boat. Not to mention that they may cancel one or two stops if that is the case.

My mother had mobility problems as she aged but loved to travel. She would go with us, but then find a place to sit and people watch while we did the touring. And the very best place to do that is in Europe!

At the Livorno port, you can take one of the cruise buses into town and then while the girls stand in line for all the sites, you can find a cafe and have a cappuccino! We did Florence on our own last time and between 2 bus rides and 1 hour on the train, I was exhausted and only had less than 2 hours in the city.

In Athens, the steps leading up to the Parthenon were very slippery. If you climb up, please be careful.

In Turkey, I agree with the others about sending the girls on their own. I didn't see where it would be possible for a wheelchair to navigate the dirt paths. You can meet them back at the port area after the tour.

I have boys the same age and they love to explore on their own. My older son went on a 3 week backpack tour of Europe all by himself.

When you mentioned St Paul de Vence (one of our favorite places in that part of France) all kinds of alarms went off in our little brain. This is not a particularly good place for somebody in a chair or on "sticks" as it is all walking (no tour vehicles allowed in the walled city) and there are various slopes throughout the city. Antibes is certainly a better choice with a chair as would be the Flower Market in Nice.

Hank

From Livorno, there are several private companies that you could hire for a scenic drive in Tuscany and possibly a winery tour, for a nice relaxed day. Ship tours often have something like that too. We did a private tour to Volterra (where you can buy some gorgeous alabaster pieces), a winery, and a lovely Tuscany drive and really enjoyed our day.

From Civitavecchia, you could also do private or ship tours to small towns like Tarquinia, or Lake Bracciano. Much less crowded. You could hire someone for the number of hours you feel up to doing a drive and perhaps people-watch at a cafe or vinoteca! Castel Gandolfo is also a lovely town, but a fair amount of uphill walking. Not crowded unless the pope is there.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

In Athens, the steps leading up to the Parthenon were very slippery. If you climb up, please be careful.

This is not a concern if the OP takes the handicapped lift up to the top. She can go up in her wheelchair if she chooses. The top is 70% flat and she will be able to enjoy looking at all of the monuments and the wonderful setting.

Hank- I'm with you on St Paul de Vence. Antibes and Nice are the better choices. Also nearby and flat in the tourist areas are Villeneuve-Loubet and Biot.

I do think your girls would love some shopping time in the Plaka in Athens. The cotton clothes are just wonderful - such a rainbow of colors and styles, and the sandals are to die for! Just park yourself at a sidewalk cafe and let them enjoy and explore.

If the idea of the Parthenon itself is too challenging for you, maybe they could go there first and you could meet them in the museum afterward. I can't imagine anyone who would not love that museum.

Thanks everyone-

We have taken on board what has been said - so now

We will probably still go to st paul de vence for the girls to have a quick look, I will just find a cafe near the car to sit in while the others explore more (or if none just chill in the car reading for 1hr. But most of our day will now be in Antibes.

I have found a company that will hire us a car for a full day a Livorno delivered to the pier - so now investigating if we will try and drive to Florence or instead to Pisa and then Lucca or the Pisa and the beach - but best thing is I will be able to decide on the day depending on how I am feeling (driving in Italy is not an issue for my dh - we have family there and driven in it many times- although having been there we would not drive in the center of Rome!!).

I need to investigate parking in Florence/ Pisa/ Lucca.- I have a blue badge so that may help park closer to things.

Rome - given the advise here we will probably bite the bullet and just pay for a private tour (especially as we will have saved money in Cannes and Livorno by hiring a car.)

Athens - seems like I can wait until we get there and see how I feel. goo know about the lift at the Parthenon - thanks

Ephesus - I will not go as advised - rest day for me (I will probably be quite happy to chill- Are there any beaches to go too near by).

Salerno- I know as suggested I should give Pompeii a miss- but I can't its on my bucket list and the reason we choose this itinery-and its probably now or never for me - But I may look at doing the other site Herculaneum if its flatter- But I will do one of them!! - Its the last day of site seeing so if I need to I can spend the next see day in bed- But I am going even if I need to crawl lol

We will probably still go to st paul de vence for the girls to have a quick look, I will just find a cafe near the car to sit in while the others explore more (or if none just chill in the car reading for 1hr.

The perfect place is the Cafe de la Place, right between the parking garages and the gate to the town. You can sit outside in the shade and watch the perennial game of petanque (or boules) that seems to be always going on.