Cancellation possible based on revoked benefits

pacheco18

My TA went to bat for me -- and I am able to cancel

Here is a portion of the email he received from an executive at Azamara (note: he is NOT dealing with Guatemala on this one -- he went way up the food chain).

It has been decided that we will not be providing free internet to Le Club Voyage Members. It was a hard decision but we feel that with the new enhancements that has been added to the program it is offering more value overall. There are discounts being offered pending the membership level to the internet packages.

If your client wishes to cancel due to the affects of the new Le Club Voyage program we will allow them to cancel with no penalty if they booked their voyage prior to 9/1/14 and they have until 12/31/14 to cancel without penalty. The waiving of penalties does not include any penalties associated with ChoiceAir reservations.

I will be on Quest in 3 weeks for what I am sure will be a wonderful 7 day cruise to Croatia (with the old benefits in place). Unfortunately it will be my last Azamara cruise. I simply do not understand the logic of this latest move but I am not alone.

Good luck to any of you who also choose to cancel.

I know I commented on the thread you started yesterday, but am pleased Azamara came through for you on this one. Hopefully others in the same position and with similar feelings will be as successful.

For the moment I'm keeping my April 2015 Azamara cruise because I have committed to it with other people. I will be on Journey in about three weeks doing a b2b of sort with Celebrity Equinox. I hope I enjoy the latter cruise which will also get me double points as a single and further toward some real benefits on the next rung up the tier ladder. I'm very sad about the whole LCV debacle though.

Enjoy your cruise on Quest.

Phil

I will show this to my TA.

Laraine, have a great time in italy and Croatia. We did that cruise in july and the itinerary was fine. Our review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2080062

When you sail off from Venice and sip your sparky we will be in Spain tasting the the tintos from Ribeira del Duero:). Will have ten days in the wine country. Love Tuscany and Umbria as well, but that will be next year.

I will show this to my TA.

Laraine, have a great time in italy and Croatia. We did that cruise in july and the itinerary was fine. Our review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2080062

When you sail off from Venice and sip your sparky we will be in Spain tasting the the tintos from Ribeira del Duero:). Will have ten days in the wine country. Love Tuscany and Umbria as well, but that will be next year.

Thanks

So may places left -- so little time

If your client wishes to cancel due to the affects of the new Le Club Voyage program we will allow them to cancel with no penalty if they booked their voyage prior to 9/1/14 and they have until 12/31/14 to cancel without penalty. The waiving of penalties does not include any penalties associated with ChoiceAir reservations. [/b]

I will be on Quest in 3 weeks for what I am sure will be a wonderful 7 day cruise to Croatia (with the old benefits in place). Unfortunately it will be my last Azamara cruise. I simply do not understand the logic of this latest move but I am not alone.

Good luck to any of you who also choose to cancel.

Those in the US who have booked Choice Air tickets from January 2015 will be out of luck, unless they booked business class or first, or any tickets with no cancelation penalties with the airline.

Those in the US who have booked Choice Air tickets from January 2015 will be out of luck, unless they booked business class or first, or any tickets with no cancelation penalties with the airline.

Could that be why Choice Air would not be included in the cancelation?

"The waiving of penalties does not include any penalties associated with ChoiceAir reservations" If you still have penalties with air you might have to keep the cruise. So Azamara still has you stuck to them for that cruise?

Glad you were able to cancel. I was very angry when I read the "enhanced" benefits. I really appreciated the free internet and laundry and I was ready to cancel our 2015 cruise too. But cooler heads (my DH and friends who are going with us) prevailed. I also could not find a comparable itinerary with another cruiseline (we are very much itinerary focused) So we'll keep our cruise and hope that, between now and then, Azamara will come to its senses.

However, like a lot of other posters, I am very concerned for Azamara's future. They are alienating a fair number of loyal repeat customers. Once you've lost loyal customers, you've likely lost them forever and they will tell their friends, their travel agents, etc. Unless things change, I expect next year's cruise will be our last with Azamara. Very sad as we love the on board experience.

I am not encouraging anyone to cancel -- just wanted to show that it is possible so that those who do want to cancel will know.

We are also itinerary driven -- I found another option that works for us -- combing two cruises -- including one on a mega ship which we have been dying to try just for fun. We are sandwiching Allure between Oceania Nautica and Seabourn Odyssey -- talk about a change of atmosphere!!!

There are a lot of choices out there.

Azamara seems to have forgotten that fact.

I am not encouraging anyone to cancel -- just wanted to show that it is possible so that those who do want to cancel will know.

We are also itinerary driven -- I found another option that works for us -- combing two cruises -- including one on a mega ship which we have been dying to try just for fun. We are sandwiching Allure between Oceania Nautica and Seabourn Odyssey -- talk about a change of atmosphere!!!

Wow, what a combination of cruises! Should be very interesting. Do report back on your experiences.

Could that be why Choice Air would not be included in the cancelation?

"The waiving of penalties does not include any penalties associated with ChoiceAir reservations" If you still have penalties with air you might have to keep the cruise. So Azamara still has you stuck to them for that cruise?

Seems to me that choice air is part and parcel of the passengers contract with AZ. The fact that AZ has issues with the airlines is not the passengers problem. They sold a product that in many cases included air. When they changed the terms of the transaction; they have the issues- not the passengers who purchased in good faith.

Seems to me that choice air is part and parcel of the passengers contract with AZ. The fact that AZ has issues with the airlines is not the passengers problem. They sold a product that in many cases included air. When they changed the terms of the transaction; they have the issues- not the passengers who purchased in good faith.

The Choice Air promo is a discount off of the cruise fare when one purchases through "Choice Air"/through RCCL, which are often non-refundable flights.

I have said this many times, but if a company is going to make changes it should be 11-12 months out so as not to run into issues with non-refundable air (or hotels).

HAL is changing policies regarding smoking and also recently regarding bringing wine on-board, and notice given was about a year.

Let me say it one more time- choice air is an integral part of one's decision to book a cruise and it is part of the total cruise fare. If you change the rules mid- stream it is subject to a refund of fees paid if one cancels.

I agree -- but someone else is going to have to fight that battle. I had not booked air. Azamara will need to be "pushed" on that one.

Thanks for the cancellation info. I have 3 back to backs booked, where laundry and internet mean a lot to us, so I have booked an alternative (and cheaper) cruise and am now looking to cancel my B2B's.

The other thing I am curious about, but have not looking into is whether my 2 open passage certificates are refundable or not -I doubt it, but again, I bought those in good faith based on expected perks, which mean a lot to us and the likelihood is I will not be rushing back to Azamara.

Thanks again for posting!

Linda:)

Edited by Lobbylin

I have said this many times, but if a company is going to make changes it should be 11-12 months out so as not to run into issues with non-refundable air (or hotels).

Great point.

Since the announcement was so delayed, then the implementation date should be altered as well.

i just popped over to the azamara site to see if there was anything interesting ...

wow ... had no idea the changes made ...

we booked our first azamara cruise this past may over Oceana because of the internet minutes we receive as ELITE on celeb.

We NEED to be able to communicate with home while away. With the internet access so slow and spotty WHO would want to PAY for it. If they were offering a better product in that department maybe it wouldn't be so annoying

Thanks for the cancellation info. I have 3 back to backs booked, where laundry and internet mean a lot to us, so I have booked an alternative (and cheaper) cruise and am now looking to cancel my B2B's.

The other thing I am curious about, but have not looking into is whether my 2 open passage certificates are refundable or not -I doubt it, but again, I bought those in good faith based on expected perks, which mean a lot to us and the likelihood is I will not be rushing back to Azamara.

Thanks again for posting!

Linda:)

They refunded open passages certificates when they changed the program, made Azamara "bespoke", added alcohol.took away the discount on the shore excursions and raised prices (all brilliant ideas). There is precedent . Have your TA push on this.

They refunded open passages certificates when they changed the program, made Azamara "bespoke", added alcohol.took away the discount on the shore excursions and raised prices (all brilliant ideas). There is precedent . Have your TA push on this.

I too wonder if open passages certificates will be honored as stated with a $200-$600 discount. I would hope so, but one never knows so it is nice to know there is precedent for full refunds.

Pacheco18/Laraine

Thanks for all the info and advice. We have now cancelled our 3 Azamara 2015 cruises without penalty. Haven't fully decided on what to do with the open passage certificates, as we bought them in another currency, so need to contact a different Azamara office about possibilities there.

Many will probably think we are being impetuous, but when news of the new Le Voyager policy changes broke, first you feel aggrieved, you then start looking for an alternative. We were then pleasantly surprised that we actually found another cruise itinerary we liked, going to the same part of the world, so we have booked that.

My distrust and disappointment of Azamara and how they reward loyalty will sadly take a long time to go away. I still cannot believe they really thought the new policy was better and would be readily accepted by customers. It is the worst case of 'not doing your homework' that I have ever come across.

Maybe the financials forced them into this, but even so, I am sure they could have found a way to compromise somehow on the things they knew they loyal customers loved.

Good luck and happy cruising!:)

[ QUOTE=Lobbylin;43993611]Pacheco18/Laraine

Thanks for all the info and advice. We have now cancelled our 3 Azamara 2015 cruises without penalty. Haven't fully decided on what to do with the open passage certificates, as we bought them in another currency, so need to contact a different Azamara office about possibilities there.

Many will probably think we are being impetuous, but when news of the new Le Voyager policy changes broke, first you feel aggrieved, you then start looking for an alternative. We were then pleasantly surprised that we actually found another cruise itinerary we liked, going to the same part of the world, so we have booked that.

My distrust and disappointment of Azamara and how they reward loyalty will sadly take a long time to go away. I still cannot believe they really thought the new policy was better and would be readily accepted by customers. It is the worst case of 'not doing your homework' that I have ever come across.

Maybe the financials forced them into this, but even so, I am sure they could have found a way to compromise somehow on the things they knew they loyal customers loved.

Good luck and happy cruising!:)

Glad it worked out for u as well

My ta is handling a bunch of cancellations

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Loraine, we just sailed on the Allure and with the exception of "too many kids" we loved the ship. The entertainment was fabulous. We also really enjoyed the Italian specialty restaurant. The main dining room was just ok. There is so much to see and do on these "monsters" that we were never bored.

We just cancelled our Nov 2015, Azamara booking and will be getting a full refund. I really don't like the Azamara attitude. Seaborne, Oceania, Crystal and Viking will be our choices for the near term with a Celebrity cruise thrown in when the schedule is right.

By the way how is the "Rolex" working?