Cinque Terra with NCL

We would love to hear from anyone who has done Cinque Terra with NCL. Our cruise is in October, and we are thinking of doing this excursion. With NCL, does the group walk from one village to another, and if so, which villages? Is there free time in each village? Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you.

We did it a few years ago aboard the epic and it was 1 of my favourite place I have ever visited. We took the bus to the first village and boat to the others. There was the option of walking to the second village for those who chose but seemed pretty far. We had free time at every stop. One thing to note this is probably not the best excursion for people afraid of heights. For me it didn't bother me but it might for some. On the bus ride you drive on narrow roads with step cliffs to the ocean. We're going back next September and might actually go back to Cinque Terre

We took this tour from the Spirit in June. The bus took us to the top of the first village, Manarola. From there, we took the ferry to Vernazza, where we had an hour or so to wander around. Then another ferry to Monterosso, where we had maybe two hours. We did a wine tasting there, then wandered around and had lunch (great sangria, pizza margherita, pesto). Finally we caught the train from there to Levanto, I believe, where we caught our bus back to the ship.

You can buy decorative bottles of Limoncello, and Cinque Terre wine, both of which are very good.

I don't think the trail is open thru all the villages. Last I read on the park web site, portions were still closed from the washout. So check on the current conditions.

We did Cinque Terre on our own; my favorite experience was riding the boat from Monterosso to the last village, Riomaggiori. Seeing the villages from the water provides a unique perspective, such an incredible view. We walked to the next 2 villages then caught the train back to monterosso.

I don't think the trail is open thru all the villages. Last I read on the park web site, portions were still closed from the washout. So check on the current conditions.

We did Cinque Terre on our own; my favorite experience was riding the boat from Monterosso to the last village, Riomaggiori. Seeing the villages from the water provides a unique perspective, such an incredible view. We walked to the next 2 villages then caught the train back to monterosso.

It is a shame to go to Cinque Terre without doing the walk between at least a village or two. You are right about the closure in fact the route between Riomaggiori and Corniglia that you did is the section that is currently closed.

We did this tour with NCL off the Spirit (from Livorno) in April 2013. We will be returning in October 2015 and docking in La Spezia. Could you please give me more information on how you did this on your own? We would love to return and also feel the bet way to see these wonderful towns is by boat but I'd love some help in planning! Thanks-Kade

We did this tour with NCL off the Spirit (from Livorno) in April 2013. We will be returning in October 2015 and docking in La Spezia. Could you please give me more information on how you did this on your own? We would love to return and also feel the bet way to see these wonderful towns is by boat but I'd love some help in planning! Thanks-Kade

We were north of Cinque Terre, so we took the train from Genoa to Monterosso then picked up the boat.

Couldn't you take the train from LaSpezia to Monterosso ? it's only 20-30 minutes way. Or there are boat trips to Cinque Terre from La Spezia that allow you to hoho between the villages, ie http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/

I generally rely on Rick Steves books for my planning or stop by his store.

Yes from La Spezia it is very easy to do on your own. It is less than 10 minutes to the first Cinque Terre town from La Spezia. You can then walk, train or boat between the towns before taking the train back from the last town (Monterosso).

Get a train schedule as there are a few times during the day when the trains run infrequently.

Edited by DipBrat

Yes from La Spezia it is very easy to do on your own. It is less than 10 minutes to the first Cinque Terre town from La Spezia. You can then walk, train or boat between the towns before taking the train back from the last town (Monterosso).

Get a train schedule as there are a few times during the day when the trains run infrequently.

Fantastic! Thank you!!

We would love to hear from anyone who has done Cinque Terra with NCL. Our cruise is in October, and we are thinking of doing this excursion. With NCL, does the group walk from one village to another, and if so, which villages? Is there free time in each village? Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you.

We did it on our own with the trains, it was such fun & very beautiful.

Great gelato too

• 6 months later...

Easy. Look at the trenitalia schedules for trains out of "Genova" (the Italian way to say/write Genoa) to Monterosso, Vernazza, etc. Use the "tutti staziones" mode to see all Genoa stations with trains to CT. About 1.5 hours from Genoa to Monterosso (the northernmost)… That will give you a starting point. You'll have to find out how to get from your dock to the appropriate train station (never been to Genoa, so I can't help).

Edited by slidergirl