Flowers, Chocolates, Qtips missing Oh My..

waterlizard

On board the Eclipse in Norway September 2014. Gone are the fresh flowers, we are in Aqua Class. The nighlty chocolates on our pillows are no where to be found. Also missing are the Qtips and Cotton balls. The bath products have also changed. No rose from the Captains Host/Hostess on formal nights, we are Elite Plus. Has anyone else experiened the recent Celebrity cutbacks? Our last cruise was in April 2014, Solstice Australia, it appears so much has changed in 4 months. Where is Celebrity headed?

On board the Eclipse in Norway September 2014. Gone are the fresh flowers, we are in Aqua Class. The nighlty chocolates on our pillows are no where to be found. Also missing are the Qtips and Cotton balls. The bath products have also changed. No rose from the Captains Host/Hostess on formal nights, we are Elite Plus. Has anyone else experiened the recent Celebrity cutbacks? Our last cruise was in April 2014, Solstice Australia, it appears so much has changed in 4 months. Where is Celebrity headed?

Obviously right down the rat hole.

Can't be long 'til they expect us to bring our own oars.

I will take beautiful ships, good service and food and good itineraries over a little chocolate on the pillow, a flower or cotton balls. I can bring my own chocolate and cotton. Sure they were nice "little" touches but not going to make me jump overboard and react like the sky is falling.

I will take beautiful ships, good service and food and good itineraries over a little chocolate on the pillow, a flower or cotton balls. I can bring my own chocolate and cotton. Sure they were nice "little" touches but not going to make me jump overboard and react like the sky is falling.
Ditto on that. Now, if they tell me I have to cook my own meals and do my own dishes, I will have an issue and will abandon ship LOL. Edited by NLH Arizona

I forget where i saw it but they mentioned the amount of waste involved in those chocolates - unused and having to be tossed - they were throwing away a ton of money.

Personally I always bring my own Qtips as theirs were the cheap bendy kind lol.

The only cutback that has upset me so far - is the loss of the a cappella group. It was a large reason I stayed with X in the beginning, now they are no more. :(

We must have disembarked the same day that you got on board. We didn't have an Aqua class cabin but did have Qtips & cotton balls. We are also Elite and did get a Rose in a vase. I agree about the chocolates - we only got a couple of mint chocolate style biscuits but we've never eaten the pillow -chocs on other cruises so this didn't matter. I would have a word with your Cabin attendant as you should have the other things. Everything else was up to standard.

Enjoy your cruise - I hope you have nicer weather than we did.

I never used the q tips or cotton balls, didn't eat the chocolates, didn't care about the small flower arrangement and it depends on the CC host/ess whether you get a rose or not.

As others have said I would rather have good service, a clean room and good food, and pay a fair price :)

We did not have Q-tips, cotton balls or nightly chocolates. We did have a rose and other flowers from the Captains Club on our July Millennium cruise. While these cut backs might seem small, check out the uproar over the changes on Azamara for their loyalty program, sparkling wine, free internet and free laundry have gone the way of Q-tips, cotton balls & chocolates on Celebrity. Not saying that Celebrity will follow suit but cuts are cuts IMO.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

I miss these things. And if people didn't want chocolate then opt out like with the canopies and ice buckets.

The q tips were pretty bad, I agree.

Also folks this is the second or third thread where a lot of people keep saying how these small things mean nothing, when does it stop? I guess robes will be next.

These small things, like flowers, bathroom niceties, belgian chocolate, Ice buckets are some of what set cheaper hotels from the nicer ones. There is also a change in dining staff and quality of food over a few years. Entertainment costs are also cut.

If all anyone cares about is someone making the bed, there really are less expensive cruises.

Since the stock is at an all time high, I expect the issue is to make more money, not stay in the black.

Am I sweating no, but I do notice.

Probably in the area of staying in the black ink! But if I were you I would have gone to Guest Services and demanded a free cruise for the inconvenience, because "Gosh darn it I am Elite+ and I deserve it!" (It is sarcasm folks)

It is not sarcasm. I find it quite insulting to all those who are Elite Plus. A cruiser comes back and reports changes to what used to be the norm before "Modern Luxury".

It is not about the stuff you can get on any cruise line. It is about the continuos cuts, no matter how small to the cruise line that offered more than good service, a clean room and good food.

For those with a memory and Celebrity cruising experience the ambiance is slipping.

For those with a memory and Celebrity cruising experience the ambiance is slipping.

We can all look back and remember when it cost $5.00 to get into a movie, $1.50 to buy a gallon of milk - but times change. The economy changes, businesses have to show a profit. What hasn't changed in the past 10 years? Everything has changed. To think that the cruise experience will stay the same for all time isn't rational. The essence of the cruise experience is there. So pack some Qtips and cruise on - the never ending complaining of those small things gone bye - dims the joy of the experience in MHO.

we can all look back and remember when it cost $5.00 to get into a movie, $1.50 to buy a gallon of milk - but times change. The economy changes, businesses have to show a profit. What hasn't changed in the past 10 years? Everything has changed. To think that the cruise experience will stay the same for all time isn't rational. The essence of the cruise experience is there. So pack some qtips and cruise on - the never ending complaining of those small things gone bye - dims the joy of the experience in mho.

what she said!

We can all look back and remember when it cost $5.00 to get into a movie, $1.50 to buy a gallon of milk - but times change. The economy changes, businesses have to show a profit. What hasn't changed in the past 10 years? Everything has changed. To think that the cruise experience will stay the same for all time isn't rational. The essence of the cruise experience is there. So pack some Qtips and cruise on - the never ending complaining of those small things gone bye - dims the joy of the experience in MHO.

Agreed.

I am sure when I am on my next Celebrity Cruise, that I too will be NOSTALGIC for the ways used to be (and in my case, my " it used to be" only spans back 2 years on Celebrity)

Truth is given the last 10 years in the economy... I am just thankful that we can afford to cruise (and haven't lost our jobs altogether).

There are souls who's situation is far off worse than ours...

I believe I can find a way to live without the QTips & Chocolates, although I would be fibbing if I said I won't miss em

It is all a matter of perspective and attitude... I CHOOSE to go on my vacation with a positive frame of mind... Cause I am a big believer that:

A change in latitude works best with a change in attitude.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Since the stock is at an all time high, I expect the issue is to make more money, not stay in the black.

I am with you. Changes since the new CEO took over and promised to raise profits, many things have changed. After all, prices for many/most cruises not booked as last minute deals have risen. As an example, our next cruise with a similar itinerary, same room category and #nights rose more than $400 pp within the last year. That, to me, covers any "extra" expenses the cruise line would endure with price increases for me. Extra charges for things like zumba and lack of some amenities that formerly were provided (none were that expensive but a nice touch IMO), decrease in wait and activity staff (that was verified on our last cruise in May), abolition of the brunch etc certainly has allowed Celebrity to recoup most of their increases - with the addition of increased fares, they MORE than came out even.

It is not sarcasm. I find it quite insulting to all those who are Elite Plus. A cruiser comes back and reports changes to what used to be the norm before "Modern Luxury".

It is not about the stuff you can get on any cruise line. It is about the continuos cuts, no matter how small to the cruise line that offered more than good service, a clean room and good food.

Am not elite, let alone elite plus and never intend to be, but the cuts have impacted everyone. The constant decrease in small items such as the chocolates just indicates how deeply Celebrity is cutting corners without seeing cuts as a problem. Does one minor item ruin my experience? Nope. However, the drastic number of constant cuts and changes decreasing service etc have become more than tiny and inconsequential within the last few years. We have one more trip to Europe scheduled for next year but we and friends are giving serious consideration regarding alternatives to cruises in the future.

Edited by d4m

These small things, like flowers, bathroom niceties, belgian chocolate, Ice buckets are some of what set cheaper hotels from the nicer ones. There is also a change in dining staff and quality of food over a few years. Entertainment costs are also cut.

If all anyone cares about is someone making the bed, there really are less expensive cruises.

I'm paying for less kids.

I am with you. Changes since the new CEO took over and promised to raise profits, many things have changed. After all, prices for many/most cruises not booked as last minute deals have risen. As an example, our next cruise with a similar itinerary, same room category and #nights rose more than $400 pp within the last year. That, to me, covers any "extra" expenses the cruise line would endure with price increases for me. Extra charges for things like zumba and lack of some amenities that formerly were provided (none were that expensive but a nice touch IMO), decrease in wait and activity staff (that was verified on our last cruise in May), abolition of the brunch etc certainly has allowed Celebrity to recoup most of their increases - with the addition of increased fares, they MORE than came out even.

Am not elite, let alone elite plus and never intend to be, but the cuts have impacted everyone. The constant decrease in small items such as the chocolates just indicates how deeply Celebrity is cutting corners without seeing cuts as a problem. Does one minor item ruin my experience? Nope. However, the drastic number of constant cuts and changes decreasing service etc have become more than tiny and inconsequential within the last few years. We have one more trip to Europe scheduled for next year but we and friends are giving serious consideration regarding alternatives to cruises in the future.

What many see as cuts, only see it from their side. I'm sure it has been mentioned, but I'm sure X did some research from their cruises. X number of ships x X number of passengers per ship x X number of nights cruised x X number of pieces of chocolate.

I'm willing to bet the savings is in the millions per year. Maybe that savings helped to kick off a new promotion or prevent prices from going any higher than they have.

Look at the difference in prices between Celebrity and Carnival....all in...$5k difference? $3k? $7k? Is that worth some flowers and chocolate?

What many see as cuts, only see it from their side. I'm sure it has been mentioned, but I'm sure X did some research from their cruises. X number of ships x X number of passengers per ship x X number of nights cruised x X number of pieces of chocolate.

I'm willing to bet the savings is in the millions per year. Maybe that savings helped to kick off a new promotion or prevent prices from going any higher than they have.

Look at the difference in prices between Celebrity and Carnival....all in...$5k difference? $3k? $7k? Is that worth some flowers and chocolate?

On another thread, Celebrity came on and posted how much in chocolate gets thrown away, it was tons. Those left in the cabins, can not be reused, thus they are thrown away. They are giving an alternative by having chocolates available at Cafe al Bacio, as reviewers have reported.

Arno - I agree. (The "not sarcasm" comment was actually insulting.) The cut backs (however minuscule to some) are starting to pile up, and to me, they are noticeable. Those small things are what used to help Celebrity stand apart from the rest. They still have excellent staff, but the other things - food included - are on the decline. Sad to see, especially with the cruise prices continuing to climb!