When to pay tips if we change to MTD

We're booked on Navigator next week and we're currently assigned to traditional early dining. If we decide after we board the ship that we would prefer MTD, how do they handle gratuities? I know if we had MTD before boarding that tips would be charged to our credit card in advance...but what happens if you change during the cruise? How do you tip your original DR waiter for the first day or two, before you switched?

We're booked on Navigator next week and we're currently assigned to traditional early dining. If we decide after we board the ship that we would prefer MTD, how do they handle gratuities? I know if we had MTD before boarding that tips would be charged to our credit card in advance...but what happens if you change during the cruise? How do you tip your original DR waiter for the first day or two, before you switched?

Im pretty sure they will just add them on to your Seapass account. Im not sure if it would be added as a lump sum or daily.

I would try and switch immediately upon boarding though if you think you want MTD. It can get totally full I do believe?

And be ware that mtd doesnt mean you can pick whatever time you want.They will tell you if that time is available.We had that on navigator a couple cruises ago and just about everyday the time we wanted was full.We have mtd on oasis in nov and we were able to pick our time on the rccl website for each day.Idk if they do that for the lower class ships or not.

I've dined MTD on most of my cruises and I've only ever reserved the first night and turned up whenever I was ready on the following occasions. The most I've had to wait has been maybe 10 minutes.... once.

They will charge the whole amount to your account when you tell them on board that you want to change over.

MTD they usually require you to prepay your tips. I like this, done and over with. Also, on VOS, we never made a reservation, and only had a 5 minute wait once. On BOS, we made a reservation the first nite but never again. We were seated immediately.

If you change to MTd you will automatically be charged prepaid gratuities

If you want to give more then depends if you are trying to get same waiter as can pay extra at end if you do

Otherwise if paying extra do each night as you see fit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So how do the wait staff get their tips in MTD? Do you show a sea pass card so it goes to the right person or is it divided evenly among them?

Everyone who uses MTD has prepaid their gratuities. $6.80 out of your prepaid gratuities goes to Dining Service and is split according to position.

Everyone who uses MTD has prepaid their gratuities. $6.80 out of your prepaid gratuities goes to Dining Service and is split according to position.

Not my question.

I know the tips for MTD are prepaid. How does MY server each night get HIS/HER share? Do they scan my sea pass card or are the tips split evenly? How do they keep track of who eats where so the proper person can get their fair share?

Not my question.

I know the tips for MTD are prepaid. How does MY server each night get HIS/HER share? Do they scan my sea pass card or are the tips split evenly? How do they keep track of who eats where so the proper person can get their fair share?

Your server is paid tips for each person they serve. The management keeps track of how many guests a waiter serves each night.

Not my question.

I don't know if it's possible.

There are many folks that select MTD and rarely step foot into MDR. I know because we seldom go and have found out that there are plenty of folks like us.

Our last 14 day cruise, we went to lunch once (salad bar). Never went for breakfast, dinner, or lunch other than the one time.

So I have no idea how they would know who to tip. I just know we are covered for everywhere we eat on the ship.

Dawn

Not my question.

When you walk up to the Maitre D's station at the MTD dining room, the person takes your cabin number and enters it into the computer. S/he then enters the table assignment to which you are conducted. Thus, the "system" knows who and how many were sitting at each waiter's tables.

:)

Anything that is charged to your shipboard account, whether it's posted daily, or in a "lump" sum, is not actually put on your credit card until the END of the cruise.

With MTD, those who serve you get the appropriate tips. No worries on your part.

If I have a large amount of OBCs, I prefer that RC uses those to pay my daily service charge. Can Ihave them do that if I choose MTD?

Only if you are able to switch to MTD from traditional once onboard.

If you book MTD pre-cruise, then you pay tips pre-cruise.

When you walk up to the Maitre D's station at the MTD dining room, the person takes your cabin number and enters it into the computer. S/he then enters the table assignment to which you are conducted. Thus, the "system" knows who and how many were sitting at each waiter's tables.

:)

This is the info I was looking for. I knew it had to be tracked, I just didn't know how.

Thank you very much.

Only if you are able to switch to MTD from traditional once onboard.

If you book MTD pre-cruise, then you pay tips pre-cruise.

If you're not able to switch on board, then a person would either have to eat at their preassigned dining time or not eat in the dining room at all?

If I have a large amount of OBCs, I prefer that RC uses those to pay my daily service charge. Can Ihave them do that if I choose MTD?

If you pay your grats with OBC you are only paying cost price not actual price!

Tips and gratuities are not cost price they are dollar for dollar value, OBC is a company stated dollar value for cost price goods excluding mark up price.

If you pay grats with OBC you are paying dollar stated value minus mark up profit from cost.

Paying gratuity with OBC is similar to tipping a waitperson with a 2 for 1 meal voucher and expecting their employer to give them the full dollar value of that voucher in cash!

If the cruiseline had for instance a 50% average mark up on goods then by paying grats with OBC you are paying 50% less grats, unless of course you believe RCI makes up that difference out of their profits to pay the staff the correct gratuity!

Once Dynamic Dinning is fully implemented all gratuities will be pre paid as is for MTD now and all non refundable OBC will have to be be spent onboard or lost.

Its a loophole that is very fast tightening:)

If you pay your grats with OBC you are only paying cost price not actual price!

Tips and gratuities are not cost price they are dollar for dollar value, OBC is a company stated dollar value for cost price goods excluding mark up price.

If you pay grats with OBC you are paying dollar stated value minus mark up profit from cost.

Paying gratuity with OBC is similar to tipping a waitperson with a 2 for 1 meal voucher and expecting their employer to give them the full dollar value of that voucher in cash!

If the cruiseline had for instance a 50% average mark up on goods then by paying grats with OBC you are paying 50% less grats, unless of course you believe RCI makes up that difference out of their profits to pay the staff the correct gratuity!

Once Dynamic Dinning is fully implemented all gratuities will be pre paid as is for MTD now and all non refundable OBC will have to be be spent onboard or lost.

Its a loophole that is very fast tightening:)

If I have a lot of OBC and choose traditional dining, I use that OBC to pay my gratuities. What is the difference if I use it to pay gratuities daily or switch to MTD onboard and pay it all at once?

If I have a lot of OBC and choose traditional dining, I use that OBC to pay my gratuities. What is the difference if I use it to pay gratuities daily or switch to MTD onboard and pay it all at once?

None. They will charge all gratuities to your card; actually there is something of a difference.... if dining MTD you cannot ask for them to be removed as you can with the daily grats.

Nothing until the loophole is closed but there may be a moral issue with some staunch tip advocates especially with the USA style tipping culture and over and above tippers realizing they are in fact not being quite so generous when they have used OBC for grats:)

If you are swapping from Trad to MTD just to avoid the pre paid grats for choosing MTD then that is the moral loophole re grats & OBC.

I come from a non tipping culture so I dont care if you pay full reduced or even zero tips:)

Edited by fishtaco