Hals New Formal Night Policy

tgetz

well my mother was adopted... so you never know :-)

Ok, on my itinerary, I have the estimated high and low temperatures, the time difference from at home, what ships will also be in port and their passenger count, of course the times we are in port or a sea day, the guide we have hired and how to phone them and if we have to pay by cash check or credit card, the type of currency we will need, as well as the out fit.

The outfit, Jewelry, shoe, and purse and where I packed the jewelry , is on another 'outfit' list. I do keep the lists so I know what goes with what.

And I really do have a life... I help my husband at work, we play a lot of bridge and entertain, often, and up until a few months ago, we have been raising our grandchildren for the past 7 years. They have just turned 13 and 15 and I still help a lot with running them here and there to sporting events and practices and doctor and dentist appointments. But we still cruised and took them with us. I didn't list their outfits, but I did pack a pant and three shirts for them in one Ziploc baggie. I told you I am nuts.... They say I should have bought stock in the Ziploc company.

OH my! I too make lists & also write which suitcase each article is in.. I keep a list when we cruise & write down which outfit I wore for each night.. Get my 2 gal Ziplocks at Target..

Tried to limit my outfits on our 68 day cruise, as we shipped 4 bags (one 29 inch & three 26 inch) ahead to the port & took two rolling carry-ons..

Limited myself to 7 Formal outfits & 19 smart casual outfits.. Wrote down which shoes, purse, & jewelry I would wear each time..Realized some would have to be worn more than once..At the last minute I quickly put another formal outfit into a shipped suitcase.. Free Laundry was a godsend for us..

Packed 8 pairs of shoes to wear in the Evening & 4 different evening purses..

Many sweaters, jackets & shawls..Had to pack for cold as well as hot weather..

P.S. Realize I overpack but I wore every outfit! ;)

totally understand. we are taking a 58 day cruise on Holland and then staying in Sydney for 5 days and boarding a celebrity ship for 12 days around New Zealand. We will be in Vancouver for a few days before and one day in Auckland after so there are a total of 79 days. I have tried to plan to wear each pair of pants at least three times with three different tops. But then there is all the other 'stuff' besides clothes that I like to take. This trip we will be gone for Halloween so taking a costume and jewelry for that, as well as decorations , I take every silly thing I have seen on list on this site- and I usually end up needing most of them. We like to host parties so I even take invitations usually. that is one thing that may not make the cut this trip. I think you did great to get it in 4 suitcase for two people. I know I will need more than 2 this trip for me.

I know it is very odd in this day and age to take several purses, but I like pretty purses and I use them to pack the jewelry. What is odd, but I never said I wasn't odd, I rarely if ever change purses at home. I am also odd in that I have a chart of outfits and what goes with what and what purse or shoe or jewelry. I normally, also, on my itinerary list code what I will wear each day and mark each outfit as I pack it as to what day I will wear it. Of course, there are always last minute changes, but as much as I love dressing up, I hate deciding what I am going to wear each day. I know, I know, I am very strange- my children tell me that and my friends and husband confirm it. They call me the "bag" lady because I pack everything in Ziploc baggies and I write what goes with them or what day or evening I am wearing them on the bag.. I know it sounds like I have way too much time on my hands. But I don't watch TV at all, like never. I don't even know how to turn ours on, so this is what I do in the evenings before a cruise instead of reading. Each of us has an oddity, I just have several... Not even get me started on the info I have on my itinerary sheets. IT is way too much info, but I love the planning almost more than the cruise. I said almost....I'm not that odd. :-)

Well you sound fun to me!

I always take an evening purse, or two, or three. It has to be the right size - to hold my camera and keycard, etc., as I don't have pockets in my evening duds. During the day, I don't use a purse, I use an old HAL bag so I can carry around all my stuff, reader, notes, Sudoku book, pens, camera, needlework, etc.! So I take more evening purses than daytime ones.:)

Me too. only one day purse. and I justify the evening purses because I pack the jewelry for anything I wear with that purse in that bag so it is easy to find. I can justify just about anything if I have enough time to come up with an excuse... oops I mean justification.

This thread has turned into a lot of fun and I have meet several of you that make me feel not so far out there. Way off topic, but such a nicer thread than many of them talking about formal wear.!!!

Me too. only one day purse. and I justify the evening purses because I pack the jewelry for anything I wear with that purse in that bag so it is easy to find. I can justify just about anything if I have enough time to come up with an excuse... oops I mean justification.

This thread has turned into a lot of fun and I have meet several of you that make me feel not so far out there. Way off topic, but such a nicer thread than many of them talking about formal wear.!!!

So right! Much better than those that tout packing for 6 weeks in a carry-on! Our trips are usually 2 - 4 weeks total and we manage with two checked 25 - 27" bags and a carry-on each. I'm always on the lookout for lightweight wrinkle free clothes that I can layer and mix and match. Porters are great but not always available especially if a road trip is involved.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

You guys are making me feel awful!!!

I don't organized enough or plan enough! I don't have the hi/low temps or the ships in port or the time at home!!

I do, however, use zip lock bags, so I guess I'm on the way to being semi- organiazed.

To tell the truth, way back when we started cruising I did do the ships in port and other things like that, but found I either never used the info or forgot to consult my notes!!

Happy Planning to you all!!!!!

As a Guy, I can tell you that most of us don't notice if a lady wears the same dress more than once, even our mates. And from the comments on this thread, it seems to me that it is other women who keep track and notice.

So guys, now we know. Women don't dress to please us men, but rather to impress other women! ;)

Greg

As a Guy, I can tell you that most of us don't notice if a lady wears the same dress more than once, even our mates. And from the comments on this thread, it seems to me that it is other women who keep track and notice.

So guys, now we know. Women don't dress to please us men, but rather to impress other women! ;)

Greg

Yep! That's how it is and its been that way for a long time!

My hubbie has been my education that way: would he notice if I wore a potato sack? Only if it were short and low-cut!

Of course, I notice when a guy has a red bow tie one Formal night and a purple one the next night. I mean, how could you miss that??? Goes for cumberbunds, too.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Wow..........I thought it was just me!

My family think I'm seriously weird.........spreadsheets for just about everything, including outfits, excursions (or possible excursions), number of ships in port, weather averages, detailed itinerary etc etc...........

Nice to know I'm not alone.

Hi

Nothing goes in my suitcase that is not in a zip top bag with my address on it. Inside what is in the bag. My shoes are also in those bags you get newspaper in(delivered). I put all small stuff in them. Extra meds in case I lose my pills. sharp stuff cissors and such. I then out the shoe in a large sock and then plastic bag. Also has my adress in it.I use those bags you let the air out of. Never had a problem when I asked the steward to use his vacumn. A nice tip helps. On top of my suitcase is where I am going hotel , ship. flip over My address. I put the pahe in those plastic sheets. I also line my suitcase with plastic bafbottom and top.. Had a friend open her suitcase only to fine all her clothes were ruined by someone's broken bottel of wine. Plus I heard suitcases are not water proff. So if your bag sits outsside in rain you know what will happen. I am also a bag lady. (not pocket book. I loves bags and boxes.

I don't speak spreadsheet! (It's a family joke!) All my lists are written out. First thing I do is get DH to print out the itinerary. Then I start to fill in the blanks - temps, other ships, tours, etc. That's half the fun. I've told DH the first best part of the trip is the planning, the second best part is getting home safely, and the third best is the trip itself! They all think I'm mad, but it's the way I am. I live to plan!:D

I learned my lesson on our recent 30-day vacation. I brought along my 6-page spreadsheet (hotel addresses & phone numbers, flight info, weather, currency, excursion details and info, even the possible days to Face Time with our grandbaby, etc. etc.) and accidentally threw it out in the trash at the end of our 4th day onboard the ship :eek:

I forgot to send a copy to my email....lesson learned!

The good news is that I had printed out every confirmation we would need from hotel bookings to excursions, drink packages and pre-paid laundry. Losing the rest wasn't the end of the world, just would have made things easier.

Hi

Nothing goes in my suitcase that is not in a zip top bag with my address on it. Inside what is in the bag. My shoes are also in those bags you get newspaper in(delivered). I put all small stuff in them. Extra meds in case I lose my pills. sharp stuff cissors and such. I then out the shoe in a large sock and then plastic bag. Also has my adress in it.I use those bags you let the air out of. Never had a problem when I asked the steward to use his vacumn. A nice tip helps. On top of my suitcase is where I am going hotel ' date=' ship. flip over My address. I put the pahe in those plastic sheets. I also line my suitcase with plastic bafbottom and top.. Had a friend open her suitcase only to fine all her clothes were ruined by someone's broken bottel of wine. Plus I heard suitcases are not water proff. So if your bag sits outsside in rain you know what will happen. I am also a bag lady. (not pocket book. I loves bags and boxes.[/quote']

Great idea. The luggage is handled on a cruise ship poorly. Be hind the scenes, they toss them around and pile them up about 6-8 suitcases high. I can see why a wine bottle would break.