Cancelled Sailing - Celebrity Constellation 11/21 - Dry Dock

Celebrity Cruises

If I were you, I would report this to Celebrity.

And please, please use a credit card in the future. DEFINITELY time for a new travel agent!

Good luck!

Thank you. I wasn't sure if this was something I should contact Celebrity about, or if we should just try to hash it out with the TA ourselves.

We definitely learned our lesson! We will always use a credit card in the future!

On the bright side, we still have our two transatlantic cruises with Celebrity to look forward too. :)

Little Amma...this is an unfortunate situation, I truely hope it can be resolved.

About every three or four years a crazy TA situation comes to light. I do wish there was a way on CC the agency could be known on CC so others could be forewarned. I realize the rules do not allow this.

Oracle..you are such a great help on the boards, it warms my heart to see your posts. Happy cruiser..great suggestion reporting it to Celebrity.

Over the past 18 years we have been on 27+ cruises with 3 different lines. Traditionally we just booked ourselves directly with cruise lines to get exact cabin we want, etc. and had been happy with various loyalty program incentives received/earned. We book our own air, hotel, transportation, excursions, etc. But recently we have either used a travel agent to book or transferred booking to a TA as we were lured by OBC and the opportunity to combine benefits. However, my experience today has certainly got me reconsidering. I can't help but feel if I had been dealing directly with Celebrity, I would have been able to book the exact cabins I wanted, which were available on my first call but gone by the time I finally was able to complete the actual rebooking. It took me literally hours to accomplish what should have taken moments. All in all, a rather unsettling experience. It should not be so hard to try to have some fun. So I probably will return to booking our cruises myself directly with the cruise line as I feel that I will have more control of my own bookings that way. Truthfully, I have never experienced as many problems nor as much confusion as I have today at the hands of the travel agency, the supposed professionals. My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

We now only book direct. We have 24-7 celebrity access. Not worth the little perks we get from a TA or Big Box super store. I assume that the ship is building the suite dining room and perhaps updating the decor.

I'm also on that cruise and not concerned at all. On another TA on Silhouette the Captain had a Q and A session. One passenger asked if the ship will stop during the crossing so that we could swim in the Atlantic. The exchanged that followed was quite entertaining.

HA! Best laugh this morning!!! What a picture in my mind!!!:D

I'm also on that cruise and not concerned at all. On another TA on Silhouette the Captain had a Q and A session. One passenger asked if the ship will stop during the crossing so that we could swim in the Atlantic. The exchanged that followed was quite entertaining.

HA! Best laugh this morning!!! What a picture in my mind!!!:D

I think the only stop they make is to let people out the back of the ship for the "Water Ski the Wake" excursion. :rolleyes:

Thank you. I wasn't sure if this was something I should contact Celebrity about, or if we should just try to hash it out with the TA ourselves.

We definitely learned our lesson! We will always use a credit card in the future!

On the bright side, we still have our two transatlantic cruises with Celebrity to look forward too. :)

Well, Celebrity is making people whole for airline change fees, so I don't know why they wouldn't cover this rogue TA's fees. Which are totally bogus, by the way. Celebrity may decide it doesn't want to accept any more bookings from this agent if it's going to end up costing Celebrity money. Good luck!

Little Amma...this is an unfortunate situation, I truely hope it can be resolved.

About every three or four years a crazy TA situation comes to light. I do wish there was a way on CC the agency could be known on CC so others could be forewarned. I realize the rules do not allow this.

You can't post the agency on here but if you have a Facebook, Twitter or any other type of social media account, I would highly encourage you to share that way. This is totally unacceptable gouging. Do let Celebrity know too as others have stated.

You can't post the agency on here but if you have a Facebook, Twitter or any other type of social media account, I would highly encourage you to share that way. This is totally unacceptable gouging. Do let Celebrity know too as others have stated.

I would urge caution before posting a name. Give them an opportunity to do the right thing. As I've been saying: Celebrity seems highly committed to making the situation right for all of their customers. The poster has been told how to contact Celebrity and Celebrity Cruises monitors these boards. Now, if the TA refuses to make a complete refund in a timely way, the gloves come off. I don't know the local or State laws in New Mexico that would apply, but can guarantee that they have a Consumer Protection Department at the State level. Local media tend to employ a Consumer Reporter who just lives for stories like this one. Would any business believe the so much negative publicity and ill will was worth such a small amount? I doubt it. We don't know if this is a small local agency or a large TA office. That could make a difference. Patience and a positive attitude can help one to resolve a problem. I might even suggest a possible way out for the TA. If the poster has another cruise booked with them , and it should be the last, they might agree to apply the booking fee to the final payment if it hasn't been paid. They could also apply it as a refundable OBC for the Transatlantic Cruise. Gives the Agent a way to save face.

I would urge caution before posting a name. Give them an opportunity to do the right thing. As I've been saying: Celebrity seems highly committed to making the situation right for all of their customers. The poster has been told how to contact Celebrity and Celebrity Cruises monitors these boards. Now, if the TA refuses to make a complete refund in a timely way, the gloves come off. I don't know the local or State laws in New Mexico that would apply, but can guarantee that they have a Consumer Protection Department at the State level. Local media tend to employ a Consumer Reporter who just lives for stories like this one. Would any business believe the so much negative publicity and ill will was worth such a small amount? I doubt it. We don't know if this is a small local agency or a large TA office. That could make a difference. Patience and a positive attitude can help one to resolve a problem. I might even suggest a possible way out for the TA. If the poster has another cruise booked with them , and it should be the last, they might agree to apply the booking fee to the final payment if it hasn't been paid. They could also apply it as a refundable OBC for the Transatlantic Cruise. Gives the Agent a way to save face.

All good points, yes. I mentioned social media only because it sounded like this particular TA had no intention of refunding their booking fee, despite Little Amma being a regular client with four booked cabins on this cruise. And despite Little Amma having nothing to do with the cancellation. I think that is inexcusable on the part of the TA and has nothing to do with Celebrity.

All good points, yes. I mentioned social media only because it sounded like this particular TA had no intention of refunding their booking fee, despite Little Amma being a regular client with four booked cabins on this cruise. And despite Little Amma having nothing to do with the cancellation. I think that is inexcusable on the part of the TA and has nothing to do with Celebrity.

Social media is a food suggestion as a near to final step. I really believe that once Celebrity investigates it will be resolved. As I've said previously, Celebrity wants to keep passengers happy. Yes, the TA is responsible for the situation from what has been presented.

it is not uncommon for travel agents to charge a transaction fee (or other service providers, travel industry or otherwise). I deal with this on a daily basis (industry), and is the norm; especially in leisure where people request brochures, information, lots of info back and forth and oftentimes don't make a booking.

At any rate, that money sure adds up--and it is a shame the cruiseline cancelled the sailing (not YOUR fault OR the agencies)..in my opinion, it would be a very nice gesture for them to allow you to use the fee for rebooking next time, at no charge, something like that?

Best of luck on this!

Just an update...I have contacted the travel agency and Celebrity and am awaiting replies. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Once again, I truly appreciate the support from the Cruise Critic community.

Hi there,

If your TA is unable to assist, please feel free to email us at concerns@celebrity.com with your reservation number and a phone number you can be reached at.

I want to thank Celebrity for their efforts to make up for the booking fee issue we have been dealing with. While I don't think it was Celebrity's responsibility to do so, they still generously offered an on board credit on our next sailing, to cover the money we lost.

Our first sailing with Celebrity will be a transatlantic this November. Celebrity, you just won yourself two new loyal customers!

I want to thank Celebrity for their efforts to make up for the booking fee issue we have been dealing with. While I don't think it was Celebrity's responsibility to do so, they still generously offered an on board credit on our next sailing, to cover the money we lost.

Our first sailing with Celebrity will be a transatlantic this November. Celebrity, you just won yourself two new loyal customers!

Thought that would happen. I've found Celebrity to always be fair. Now you just need to find another TA. Obviously they are not interested in doing business with you. Look forward to meeting you on Constellation TA.

Happy to hear Celebrity worked this out for you. As mentioned, you need a new TA!

Enjoy your cruise!

I am a travel agent, and I have to admit I would have wrestled with the issue of whether to refund the $60 per cabin fee for the cancelled cruise. It is not the client's fault that Celebrity cancelled the cruise, but it is not the fault of the travel agent either! If they return the booking fee they are going to have worked entirely for free for this client (most travel agencies do not pay any kind of salary, the agents are commission based so are paid a portion of the commission, plus any booking fee they charge) I know from experience that it can take just as long to book a 3 day cruise as a 30 day cruise, so if the agent did not charge a booking fee they would have made very little money. The cruise lines pay commission on the base cruise fare, which is often less than half the total cruise cost after taxes, fees and port charges are taken off. I have made as little as $3 commission for booking a short cruise!

The ironic thing is that in the case of cancelled cruises, it is usually even more work for the agent as they are usually the ones calling Celebrity (and usually waiting on hold!) to make arrangements for either switching to another cruise or getting a refund - and if the client does not rebook, the commission is not protected. I had clients booked on a Pacific coastal cruise on the Millenium that was cancelled due to mechanical issues, and I had already spent a great deal of time helping them decide to book that cruise vs. many other options they considered. When it was cancelled I spent a lot of time trying to find another cruise that might work for them, but in the end they just decided to cancel and get a refund. I had not charged a booking fee, and I ended up making absolutely nothing for hours of work.

So contrary to what other posters said, I think it was Celebrity's responsibility to compensate the client for the money that was lost for the booking fee, since the cruise line, not the travel agent, cancelled the cruise!

Edited by sbinbc
Spelling correction

I am a travel agent, and I have to admit I would have wrestled with the issue of whether to refund the $60 per cabin fee for the cancelled cruise. It is not the client's fault that Celebrity cancelled the cruise, but it is not the fault of the travel agent either! If they return the booking fee they are going to have worked entirely for free for this client (most travel agencies do not pay any kind of salary, the agents are commission based so are paid a portion of the commission, plus any booking fee they charge) I know from experience that it can take just as long to book a 3 day cruise as a 30 day cruise, so if the agent did not charge a booking fee they would have made very little money. The cruise lines pay commission on the base cruise fare, which is often less than half the total cruise cost after taxes, fees and port charges are taken off. I have made as little as $3 commission for booking a short cruise!

The ironic thing is that in the case of cancelled cruises, it is usually even more work for the agent as they are usually the ones calling Celebrity (and usually waiting on hold!) to make arrangements for either switching to another cruise or getting a refund - and if the client does not rebook, the commission is not protected. I had clients booked on a Pacific coastal cruise on the Millenium that was cancelled due to mechanical issues, and I had already spent a great deal of time helping them decide to book that cruise vs. many other options they considered. When it was cancelled I spent a lot of time trying to find another cruise that might work for them, but in the end they just decided to cancel and get a refund. I had not charged a booking fee, and I ended up making absolutely nothing for hours of work.

So contrary to what other posters said, I think it was Celebrity's responsibility to compensate the client for the money that was lost for the booking fee, since the cruise line, not the travel agent, cancelled the cruise!

Perhaps this should be a different thread? I use a large online TA that doesn't impose a booking charge. I know a few who do and it's no more than $10 per reservation. Don't know if there are differences in standard charges in US and Canada. IMHO, any business that creates ill will for a client and potential clients over a relatively small amount is taking a very myopic view. Giving something that you are not strictly required to give to maintain a customer is called "goodwill". Not only is this customer, who apparently takes a number of cruises upset to the point of dropping the TA, but they have friends and family who will most likely avoid doing business with the Agency. May be fair, may not be fair, but it's business. I know that TAs work on small margins and their income is based on the number of bookings. There is also a cost to acquire business. There are circumstances when losing time and money may actually result in higher profits with less effort in the future. I have first hand experience with this concept. I know we all see things with our own filters and interest.

I do not personally charge booking fees, and most of the agents I know do not not charge booking fees for cruises (at least here in Canada) although some do for flights as there is generally little or not commission for air bookings. If I did charge a fee, I would likely have refunded it in this case, but I was just saying I could see where the agent might have been coming from in declining to do so here. There are not many jobs where you can end up doing so much work for nothing as is the case in the travel business. Some agents now charge "research fees" which are applied to the booking if the clients goes ahead, and that is pretty tempting as it is so frustrating to spend ages trying to find the best possible holiday for a client only to be told that they have booked online, or their friend or relative booked it elsewhere.

In this case it sounds like Celebrity is being fair with clients, but not necessarily with travel agents. I think that if a cruise line cancels a cruise, and a substitute cruise can not be found for the clients, that the cruise line should still pay the travel agent the commission they would have received since they still did the work (and probably a lot more work in trying to find a replacement cruise). I have lost a lot of commission over the years from cruises and other vacations cancelled due to mechanical problems, swine flu, civil unrest, etc., and it is just not fair that I have ended up doing that work for free! I already spend large amounts of time trying to ensure that my clients get the best deal, and I constantly check to see if prices have dropped to get my clients a lower price or at least an upgrade. My husband jokes that I make 10 cents an hour, and sometimes that is true! Fortunately I love doing it, and the money is not my main motivation for being in this industry.

I do not personally charge booking fees, and most of the agents I know do not not charge booking fees for cruises (at least here in Canada) although some do for flights as there is generally little or not commission for air bookings. If I did charge a fee, I would likely have refunded it in this case, but I was just saying I could see where the agent might have been coming from in declining to do so here. There are not many jobs where you can end up doing so much work for nothing as is the case in the travel business. Some agents now charge "research fees" which are applied to the booking if the clients goes ahead, and that is pretty tempting as it is so frustrating to spend ages trying to find the best possible holiday for a client only to be told that they have booked online, or their friend or relative booked it elsewhere.

In this case it sounds like Celebrity is being fair with clients, but not necessarily with travel agents. I think that if a cruise line cancels a cruise, and a substitute cruise can not be found for the clients, that the cruise line should still pay the travel agent the commission they would have received since they still did the work (and probably a lot more work in trying to find a replacement cruise). I have lost a lot of commission over the years from cruises and other vacations cancelled due to mechanical problems, swine flu, civil unrest, etc., and it is just not fair that I have ended up doing that work for free! I already spend large amounts of time trying to ensure that my clients get the best deal, and I constantly check to see if prices have dropped to get my clients a lower price or at least an upgrade. My husband jokes that I make 10 cents an hour, and sometimes that is true! Fortunately I love doing it, and the money is not my main motivation for being in this industry.

Celebrity did give something if there was a rebooking, but I agree with you that they should have done something for Agents who had clients who could not rebook. Just as Agents need to show goodwill toward clients, Celebrity should show goodwill towards agents. Agents are in the front line promoting business for Celebrity.

Celebrity did give something if there was a rebooking, but I agree with you that they should have done something for Agents who had clients who could not rebook. Just as Agents need to show goodwill toward clients, Celebrity should show goodwill towards agents. Agents are in the front line promoting business for Celebrity.

Well said!

Sheila