Tips for Baltimore Port and Check In

karkee8807

Hello there,

After a very long seven years without a cruise, I am finally taking one next month for my honeymoon. This will be my fiance's first cruise and my first time leaving from Baltimore. We will be going to Bermuda on a 6 night cruise!

Since it has been so long and I am leaving from a new port what are some tips you may have for Baltimore.

I am doing the online check in.

Thank you!

Hello there,

After a very long seven years without a cruise, I am finally taking one next month for my honeymoon. This will be my fiance's first cruise and my first time leaving from Baltimore. We will be going to Bermuda on a 6 night cruise!

Since it has been so long and I am leaving from a new port what are some tips you may have for Baltimore.

I am doing the online check in.

Thank you!

No tips really, it's probably the easiest port to sail out of. if you are travelling south on 95 make sure to stay to the right as you go through the tunnel just before the exit as the exit is immediately after you get out of the tunnel.

They are very organized. Pull into the parking lot, stop at the first booth, they ask if you have luggage tags and send you to the appropriate area. If you will be parking at the pier, luggage drop off is first, then pay (cash or credit card), then you park.

Enter the terminal, through security to the check in lines. Once you are checked in, if they are not boarding, they will seat you in order. Once boarding begins, they will lead you to boarding in the order they seated you.

Mike

Simplest and most well organized port I've traveled from and I've sailed from Terminal 18 in Port Everglades before. Make sure you print luggage tags and have them on your bags before you leave the house and everything should be smooth. They take the luggage directly from the car before you park/drop off and it makes it 100 times smoother and less stressful. Really don't understand why every port hasn't done this.

Wow, that sounds awesome that they take the luggage right from the car. It will be so nice to not drag suitecases and carry ones across a parking lot like I've done in the past. I am very happy to hear how organized the process is for parking and check in.

And Mike, thanks for the 95 tip!

One thing you should be aware of, is that ships come in here later than they do in Florida. They do not start disembarking until about 9am, so many times, people don't embark until 11am at the earliest and its not unusual for rooms to not be ready until late afternoon.

One thing you should be aware of, is that ships come in here later than they do in Florida. They do not start disembarking until about 9am, so many times, people don't embark until 11am at the earliest and its not unusual for rooms to not be ready until late afternoon.

I don't know where you got your info from but the ship docks at 7:00am disembarking starts around 7:30 or so.

Yes that is true. Have sailed from Baltimore several times and have always arrived back by 7 or even earlier. Self debarkation is always going on by 7:30.

We do usually begin boarding around 11 am but our rooms are always ready around 1 pm. Never later than that.

Yes that is true. Have sailed from Baltimore several times and have always arrived back by 7 or even earlier. Self debarkation is always going on by 7:30.

We do usually begin boarding around 11 am but our rooms are always ready around 1 pm. Never later than that.

Nice to know the time to board. We are driving from Akron and are not sure yet if we will leave Thursday afternoon or very early Friday morning since it is about a 6 hour drive. I would prefer to stay over night in Baltimore though.

Is the self debarkation something I need to sign up for previous to boarding? It has been so long I can't remember all the details lol.

Also from Ohio here. When picking your hotel ask about "Stay & Cruise" packages. Most hotels have them with the included: room, cont. breakfast, transportation to and from port & they keep your car for up to 14 days. Cuts outs the extra price of parking at the port.

As another poster stated sometimes the ships are late coming in due to weather in the Bay. Keep that in mind.

Cruising out of Baltimore (IMO) is a lot easier than most places. Maybe its the fact that they only have the 2 ships sailing from there. However I've always arrived early 10:30. Most times been on by noon or before. The latest was 3 PM when the ship was late.

Have fun!!!

Enjoy your cruise and congrats. We took the 6 night to Bermuda last year in late Sept to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. Great cruise - my only complaint that it was only 6 days, not 7 :)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thank you!!! My parents went a couple years ago but went out of Jersey and loved Bermuda. We are very excited! Any suggestions for Bermuda? We plan on going to the zoo and aquarium, the crystal caves and one of the sea glass beaches. I think our full day there we will go about the island ourselves. I am looking at one of the glass bottom boat tours for our first night on the island.

You are thinking of Carnival which arrives around 9 am. The Grandeur arrives around 7 am and departure for passengers sometimes begins at 7:30 am

You are thinking of Carnival which arrives around 9 am. The Grandeur arrives around 7 am and departure for passengers sometimes begins at 7:30 am

My mistake. I got my times and cruises messed up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you!!! My parents went a couple years ago but went out of Jersey and loved Bermuda. We are very excited! Any suggestions for Bermuda? We plan on going to the zoo and aquarium, the crystal caves and one of the sea glass beaches. I think our full day there we will go about the island ourselves. I am looking at one of the glass bottom boat tours for our first night on the island.

Sounds like you have all the biggies covered. One suggestion would be to try one of the specialty restaurants on Grandeur one evening, or buy the package when you board. They are worth the extra money, and are more intimate and romantic than MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Nice to know the time to board. We are driving from Akron and are not sure yet if we will leave Thursday afternoon or very early Friday morning since it is about a 6 hour drive. I would prefer to stay over night in Baltimore though.

Is the self debarkation something I need to sign up for previous to boarding? It has been so long I can't remember all the details lol.

From one Akronite to another, welcome. We have sailed out of Baltimore several times. Our last sailing was last November. We did a Park & Cruise with Hampton Inn in Glen Burnie. We had dinner the night before at a restaurant nearby and breakfast at the hotel that morning. Our shuttle left the hotel at 10:30 and we at the port, checked in, on the ship, and enjoying lunch in the WindJammer by 11:30.

Enjoy the cruise.:)

No tips really, it's probably the easiest port to sail out of. if you are travelling south on 95 make sure to stay to the right as you go through the tunnel just before the exit as the exit is immediately after you get out of the tunnel.

They are very organized. Pull into the parking lot, stop at the first booth, they ask if you have luggage tags and send you to the appropriate area. If you will be parking at the pier, luggage drop off is first, then pay (cash or credit card), then you park.

Enter the terminal, through security to the check in lines. Once you are checked in, if they are not boarding, they will seat you in order. Once boarding begins, they will lead you to boarding in the order they seated you.

Mike

If you are coming in on I-70 to Baltimore, you will be taking I-695 south and then pick up I-95 north to the harbor. Going this way, it is the last exit before the tunnel. Keep to the right at this exit, onto E. McComas Ave. It is a very easy port to sail out of.

If you are coming in on I-70 to Baltimore, you will be taking I-695 south and then pick up I-95 north to the harbor. Going this way, it is the last exit before the tunnel. Keep to the right at this exit, onto E. McComas Ave. It is a very easy port to sail out of.

Make sure you stay in the Right lane as construction going on has the lanes divided by barriers.

We have always arrived at the port at 10:15 and are generally on the ship by 11 AM.

• 3 months later...

Going out of Baltimore for the first time. We like to bring a 25" suitcase that will fit through the security scanner. We do this at the NYC pier and have not had a problem with this size going through the security scanner. We don't like to have the porters handle our luggage. Would we have a problem at Baltimore. Also is there just this one scanner or does RC have their own scanner too.