Cove balcony question

snorkler8

I believe this is what you guys call Cove Balconies.

Small but tempting...

3-50_zps2cdcf61c.jpg~original

5-50_zps8211361a.jpg~original

No they aren't smaller. In fact they are slightly larger than a "regular" (not aft) balcony. The opening is not as large but the actual floorspace is slightly larger. We've been in them twice and going for the third time in January. LOVE them.

If that's your reason to not book a cove, then you are not really wanting one. All ships sail in hurricane season.

They only lock the safety door if the seas are really high. And believe me you would NOT want to be out there anyway. If the seas were really high from a hurricane would you go out on say deck 9? For one thing you would get soaking wet. You will still have a window to look out of. And on deck 2 (which is where the coves are) you won't feel as much motion if there are high seas.

Why are the cove balcony rooms the cheapest out of all balcony categories?

To me it seems like the cove balcony is better than the ones higher up.

Shhhhhh...we need to stop talking about them or everyone will discover how fantastic they are and the price will inevitably go up. Best kept secret on the ship. IMHO

I had a cove balcony on the Breeze. I picked one mid-ship to avoid the noise of the galley above. Also, it showed a "blank" space on the deckplan next to it. Turns out, that "blank" space was a storage room for all the luggage carts and they would bang and bump together to make a racket. Also, there was a very loud, metal-on-metal grinding noise from the hull that I could never figure out where it was coming from.

I was with a group of friends and two others also had cove balconies and had problems with noise.

I did like being close to the water and I didn't get any spray from the waves, but sitting on the chair on the balcony didn't give you as open a view as on a regular balcony.

Just me, but I don't think I'd book a cove balcony again unless it was a really good price.

Ours was across from a blank space too and was the steward's closet. They were very quiet but we had vacuums parked outside the door at times. Did not bother us. I wish they would just tell us what those spaces are!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Why are the cove balcony rooms the cheapest out of all balcony categories?

To me it seems like the cove balcony is better than the ones higher up.

I don't think Cove Balconies are better than ones higher up.

We did a B2B on the Dream recently and had an aft wrap with a 36' long balcony to ourselves. Between the two cruises we took a look at several Cove Balconies. No thank you, not for us.

Not going on a cruise until 2016 but was wondering how "private"😉 is a cove balcony? On a regular balcony you can look around the wall and there are gaps also What is the cove like?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forums mobile app

It may not look like it but you can see very well ! And they are very private also . We loved our cove balcony and we have had other types of balconies but this was by far our favorite! Being that close to the water is amazing ! We were in 2281 on the Magic and one nice thing about that cabin is there is a gap between the lifeboats on one side so you had a choice to sit in the sun or shade most days .

It may not look like it but you can see very well ! And they are very private also . We loved our cove balcony and we have had other types of balconies but this was by far our favorite! Being that close to the water is amazing ! We were in 2281 on the Magic and one nice thing about that cabin is there is a gap between the lifeboats on one side so you had a choice to sit in the sun or shade most days .

Thanks! I love being able to sit on the balcony and watch the water but worried about visibility. It sounds like something fun to try in the future.

They only lock the safety door if the seas are really high. And believe me you would NOT want to be out there anyway. If the seas were really high from a hurricane would you go out on say deck 9? For one thing you would get soaking wet. You will still have a window to look out of. And on deck 2 (which is where the coves are) you won't feel as much motion if there are high seas.

Thank you! Good to know they only close it during really bad weather. :)

I would go with a cove balcony without hesitation. I visited one for the first time on my last cruise and they will be my first choice of rooms. I normally get the aft extended balconies but the coves are my new favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree!!!! My husband and I always sping for the extended aft but, fell in love with the cove balconey on the Breeze last year.

We loved our cove on the Dream. You can look straight down into the water and see fish and you can watch the pilot boat load and unload the pilot etc.

In a regular balcony, when you look straight down you see the lifeboats or the deck and everyone on the decks can look up and see you.

• 1 month later...

Booking ours on the Dream for our 1st anniversary next year in November!!! I love the fact it's closer to the water (which will make me look for flying fish even more. LoL) and that it's closed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app