So Disappointed

gr1634

Didn't notice any really last year. Going again shortly and I will let everyone know.

They have cut the shows to 30 minutes in length for one. I am going by my last cruise on Princess 2012 and what all the post on the Princess board are posting.

The first day seafood buffet is long gone as well as the bistro which is now replaced by the international cafe.

All lines are forever evolving, trying to keep prices low while trying to keep the majority of pax happy.

Just wanted to ask you how you keep up with all the post on that other board?

Bill

What you wrote is generally viewed as a sacrilege but you may be correct.

I wouldn't agree for higher level cruise brands ,but in the case of an entry level product such as

Carnival, you make a reasonable point. That doesn't mean they don't want repeat customers,

just that their marketing emphasis should attracting the vast majority who have never cruised.

Doing this while keeping many (most) of their current customers is a smart strategy.

As you pointed out, let some of their former clients fire themselves. Many of them are

not worth trying to appease.

It is applicable across the board to all businesses. It doesn't mean that all companies have demon customers, but potentially they do. They are the customers who subtract from and not add to the bottom line. Individual companies need to evaluate their customers to see if any are of the demon variety.

OF course Carnival likes repeat customers, but not as much as some repeat customers like themselves.

Here is a classic text, there are others:

http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Customers-Demon-Discover-Turbo-Charge-ebook/dp/B001NSUKYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410144087&sr=8-1&keywords=angel+customers

Two words come to mind which symbolize the decline in the Carnival product...

Meat Loaf

The only dish I have ever refused to eat on a cruise ship. Add to that the crummy computer graphics used for shows rather than actual sets and the third rate singers/dancers who can neither sing nor dance and you have a quick summary of the decline into the abyss.

Meat loaf hasn't been on the 7 day menus in a while. Are you complaining that the lack of meat loaf is a cut back? :p

Meat loaf hasn't been on the 7 day menus in a while. Are you complaining that the lack of meat loaf is a cut back? :p

I had meat loaf on 8/24 cruise, it was very good. It was after I returned my fish, which was terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oy vey, you're exhausting me. You just might cure my week-long insomnia with this and for that, I sincerely thank you.;)

You only included what you wanted to of my post but left out the very part that negates your false accusation (expecting it to be like 10 years ago). I call that convenient. But hey, let's agree to disagree on that.;)

I know of 4-year-olds who would think of one year ago as being "back in the day", but for an adult to state that seems a little ridiculous I have noticed several cutbacks from one cruise to the next when said cruises were only 6 months apart. Is 6 months "back in the day"?

Your gas analogy doesn't work - consistency in price is not what we're talking about.

What sweeping changes did I say were instituted every few months? I've talked about continuing degradation of the product and multiple cutbacks which add up. Nice grasping, and twisting you did there, though. No dishonesty here, how 'bout you?;)

And pleeeeeaaaaase show me where I have ever said someone else's opinion wasn't as valid as mine.:rolleyes: I can show you plenty of examples of my stating just the opposite of what you're accusing me of there. Please try to keep your accusations in the realm of reality. ;) Otherwise it might start to seem like you're crapping all over the chessboard and strutting around.:p

And you're giving me a headache. Simply put, if you don't like Carnival, don't sail with her. Spend more of your vacation dollars and sail on a more luxurious cruise line. If you decide to sail with her again, don't sit here and constantly complain about it since you sailed her voluntarily. Many of us know that Carnival is the best bang for the buck and are happy with the way they run their business.

They have cut the shows to 30 minutes in length for one. I am going by my last cruise on Princess 2012 and what all the post on the Princess board are posting.

The first day seafood buffet is long gone as well as the bistro which is now replaced by the international cafe.

All lines are forever evolving, trying to keep prices low while trying to keep the majority of pax happy.

Just wanted to ask you how you keep up with all the post on that other board?

Bill

We started with them with only the IC. Excellent option with reasonable lines. Don't mind small changes. Princess board moves a lot slower so keeping up is easier. Carnival one has slowed down dramatically in past year.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

Ok. I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. I have been on 21 Carnival cruises with 2 more booked in the next 6 months. I have been cruising since 2003. I have seen some cutbacks but everywhere I go with this economy there are cutbacks. Have you been to the grocery store lately and seen the price of everything? The cost of a Carnival cruise is generally way cheaper then the competition. They offer Guys Burgers for free - my friends have been on RCCL several times and they have upcharges for a lot of things. I have only been on HAL before but I prefer Carnival. For me it's the right cruise line. For the price IMO you can't beat it! That said if you aren't enjoying everything you should try other lines. As others have said everyone is cutting back. Yes you all have a right to complain but if you are truly not happy respond with your pocketbook. I and all my friends will continue to cruise with Carnival because it is right for us. We have an awesome time!

Two words come to mind which symbolize the decline in the Carnival product...

Meat Loaf

The only dish I have ever refused to eat on a cruise ship. Add to that the crummy computer graphics used for shows rather than actual sets and the third rate singers/dancers who can neither sing nor dance and you have a quick summary of the decline into the abyss.

Isn't Royal adding computer assisted (laser, light shows, music and more) to the Quantum? Maybe it is who does it that impresses some here.

Some of us would prefer to get the product that we expect and enjoyed and pay what is necessary to get it. It is understandable that the price has to go up sometimes. What really bothers me is the product constantly being degraded so I never know how much worse it's going to be than the last cruise.

Carnival is giving us a 5-oz can of tuna at the price of the old 6-oz can. And just like those new, stupid 5-oz cans of tuna on the grocery store shelves, the new, lesser product looks deceptively similar to the old. But we know it isn't the same.

OK, I realize I may have lost you on that tuna metaphor. No, I'm not drunk or crazy.:p Explanation: tuna used to be sold in 6-oz cans, now it's sold (all brands) in 5-oz cans that look alllllmost the same, so some people won't even notice this cutback. But the price of these 5-oz cans is actually higher than the old 6-oz cans. Recipes in my cookbooks are for 6-oz cans. I have been miffed about this and similar deceptive grocery cutbacks for a while now. Sorry to turn this post into a double rant.:o But I just think 5 Ounce Can of Tuna every time I think of Carnival, now.:(

I know exactly what you mean. I have been noticing this has been the case more and more here lately. The last straw for me recently was when I went into Sephora to re-up on my DDF toner, which is expensive, but I have problem skin so I figure, whatever. The 10oz $38.00 bottle that I have used for a few years was now 6oz and went up to $43.00! :mad::mad:

Isn't Royal adding computer assisted (laser, light shows, music and more) to the Quantum? Maybe it is who does it that impresses some here.

I really don't think you want to go there!

The show(s) we saw on our last Carnival cruise were horrid. The sound levels were ridiculously high in an obvious attempt to mask the quality of the singers. Dancers were out of sync and the background computer generated lighting was a distraction at the least. I won't even mention all the other shows that cheaply featured other cruisers rather than professionals.

Have you actually researched the Quantum? I doubt it. If you did you would know that it will feature a Broadway quality show like Cats, Mama Mia and Chicago. What does Carnival offer to compare?

My criticism stems from the fact that I have sailed Carnival 15 times and have reached Platinum. Even that level, however, has been diminished over the years. If you are happy with Carnival, please stay. As you are listening to your fellow cruisers imitate Elvis, I'll be sipping on my free nightly cocktails!:)

I had meat loaf on 8/24 cruise, it was very good. It was after I returned my fish, which was terrible.

I have to say that the first time I saw meat loaf (along with fried chicken and Mac & cheese) on Carnival's MDR dinner menu, I felt as if they had reached a new low. No matter how pretty they made it sound, I couldn't get over the fact that they were serving (what I considered) cheap cafeteria food.

However, recently we were in Savannah for a few days, and on our last night there we decided to dine at one of the city's finest restaurants. Upscale establishment, no tourists, mostly high society clientele, entree's mostly in the $35-$40 per plate range.

And SURE ENOUGH, smack at the bottom of the main course list, there was one dish that caught my attention: MEAT LOAF! :eek: The only plate priced at less than $20. And sure enough, that's what my wife ordered! The server quickly pointed out that it was one of their most popular dishes. And to be perfectly honest, it was superb. :o

Now, I'm not saying that all meatloaf are worthy of a fine dining restaurant menu, but I won't be looking down on Carnival because they have incorporated some of these selections often associated with cheaper establishments. I can't comment on Carnival's meatloaf because I didn't try it, but if it's anything like the one we had in Savannah, then I may have to try it next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That airfare to China is going to be a killer. Enjoy.

I'm taking a wild guess in saying that Americans booking cruises on the Quantum in Asia are not on the same budget as someone who has saved for a year to go on a Carnival cruise to Cozumel from their closest drive to port. Cheap prices may be the most important factor for many cruisers, but it's not as big of a factor for others with more disposable income. A lot of people are willing to dig deeper in their pockets to get the cruise experience that they truly want, and if they have the money to fly first class to Asia to sail on a Royal Loft Suite on the Quantum, why settle for less? Cheapest doesn't work for everybody.

I have to say that the first time I saw meat loaf (along with fried chicken and Mac & cheese) on Carnival's MDR dinner menu, I felt as if they had reached a new low. No matter how pretty they made it sound, I couldn't get over the fact that they were serving (what I considered) cheap cafeteria food.

However, recently we were in Savannah for a few days, and on our last night there we decided to dine at one of the city's finest restaurants. Upscale establishment, no tourists, mostly high society clientele, entree's mostly in the $35-$40 per plate range.

And SURE ENOUGH, smack at the bottom of the main course list, there was one dish that caught my attention: MEAT LOAF! :eek: The only plate priced at less than $20. And sure enough, that's what my wife ordered! The server quickly pointed out that it was one of their most popular dishes. And to be perfectly honest, it was superb. :o

Now, I'm not saying that all meatloaf are worthy of a fine dining restaurant menu, but I won't be looking down on Carnival because they have incorporated some of these selections often associated with cheaper establishments. I can't comment on Carnival's meatloaf because I didn't try it, but if it's anything like the one we had in Savannah, then I may have to try it next time!

Those if us that eat out a lot, appreciate the home cooking choices they offer. My granddaughter eats the fried chicken with double mashed potatoes frequently and she loves it!

Happy Sailing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think you want to go there!

The show(s) we saw on our last Carnival cruise were horrid. The sound levels were ridiculously high in an obvious attempt to mask the quality of the singers. Dancers were out of sync and the background computer generated lighting was a distraction at the least. I won't even mention all the other shows that cheaply featured other cruisers rather than professionals.

Have you actually researched the Quantum? I doubt it. If you did you would know that it will feature a Broadway quality show like Cats, Mama Mia and Chicago. What does Carnival offer to compare?

My criticism stems from the fact that I have sailed Carnival 15 times and have reached Platinum. Even that level, however, has been diminished over the years. If you are happy with Carnival, please stay. As you are listening to your fellow cruisers imitate Elvis, I'll be sipping on my free nightly cocktails!:)

We can debate cutbacks in the loyalty programs as well if you want. I actually have researched Quantum (aren't you keeping up on my posts?), and frankly it is nothing (I know you will kind this hard to believe) that I would like to do (including the computer enhanced laser light shows and music added to their entertainment, all the rides, even b class broadway shows do nothing for me.

If you are not sailing Carnival anymore, why do you post here? I am sure you would want to be sipping your cocktails.....

While I am no meatloaf fan (well the guy...maybe but I am dating myself again;)), I believe it is still on the menu (not sure about every day, because I usually don't go there) and on our Splendor cruise it was there one evening at the least and 2 people at our table ordered it. I do have to say, that I did think of cruisecritic and meatloaf's popularity on the board. Go figure. BTYW, that is a lot of typing on an iPhone. I am impressed.;)

Edited by jimbo5544

I'm taking a wild guess in saying that Americans booking cruises on the Quantum in Asia are not on the same budget as someone who has saved for a year to go on a Carnival cruise to Cozumel from their closest drive to port. Cheap prices may be the most important factor for many cruisers, but it's not as big of a factor for others with more disposable income. A lot of people are willing to dig deeper in their pockets to get the cruise experience that they truly want, and if they have the money to fly first class to Asia to sail on a Royal Loft Suite on the Quantum, why settle for less? Cheapest doesn't work for everybody.

I doubt Quantum in China is being marketed to Americans. Can't wait, well, yes I can, to read the complaints from rich Americans that there are too many foreigners on Quantum. :p

It will be interesting to watch it all unfold. QOTS certainly is commanding a pretty penny for her short tenure in Jersey. My guess as Andy had posted is that the vast majority of cruisers on the QOTS in Asia will be Asians. Don't know that but that's my uneducated guess. I wonder if they still will have Broadway shows on her over there, and if so in English?

Having cruised mostly with Carnival, I've been pretty happy with the product, but am not blind to, nor happy with, some of the changes.

That said, my most recent cruise on the Legend (the Panama Canal crossing) was bar none the best I have ever been on.

Food changes: I feel fortunate that the Legend was not exposed to the American Table change. I had zero interest in it when announced and less as the reviews started coming in. I am pretty happy with the main dining room food (and I do consider myself a foodie). Our waiter this last trip had great, HONEST advice about which items he preferred, and what he thought we would enjoy. Out of 11 nights in the MDR, I think I was perfectly happy 9 of them, and just "meh" the other two. We also ate in the steakhouse two nights (it was very packed most nights) and loved it.

Ice: I don't get the calling out of this as a "cut back". It seems eminently sensible to me...I suspect that a vast majority of passengers were not touching their ice buckets and the stewards were dumping buckets of water twice a day. Making it optional is logical. My sister and I requested ice at the beginning of our trip and had the bucket filled twice a day...and we used it. It's not like we're suddenly getting charged more for ice.

I feel the same way with the towel policy...hang it up for re-use, leave on floor for laundering. It's ecological, and logical (I don't wash my towels daily at home).

Bacon: Have never had a problem getting as much as I wanted, even if I wasn't serving it myself.

Entertainment is the one area I find lacking. I always prefer live music to a DJ. And I can't stand the new shows...I made it through about 15 minutes of a "playlist" show. I miss the orchestra. But in truth, I also never cared for the old style "Vegas" shows. Generally, I will park myself for the evening at the piano bar or with one of the other live lounge acts (the Legend had several very strong, non-main venue performers). That's just me, and it's the one thing I would call a cutback in my years of sailing Carnival.