Would you give up an Aft facing cabin?

jelenedra

My DH and I are sailing on the CB in B752....watching the prices plummet on our W Carib. cruise. I can't take a advantage of price drops anymore, because the category is sold out. Would any of you give up that cabin for another balcony elsewhere if you could get that great pricing and more obc? Yes I know it's a personal decision, but everyone's opinion is welcome! Thanks!

I love aft cabins . . . it would take a lot to convince me to give one up! I'd possibly take a mini-suite but I wouldn't move to another balcony cabin. Or it would take an awful lot of OBCs (like, several hundred dollars worth) before I'd give up an aft cabin.

Allyn

My DH and I are sailing on the CB in B752....watching the prices plummet on our W Carib. cruise. I can't take a advantage of price drops anymore, because the category is sold out. Would any of you give up that cabin for another balcony elsewhere if you could get that great pricing and more obc? Yes I know it's a personal decision, but everyone's opinion is welcome! Thanks!

I would go for the great pricing and OBC if I could move to a Caribe deck balcony.

We had a corner aft cabin once. The balcony was very nice and the location was very quiet but we were not as impressed as we thought we would be with all the favorable comments we had read. If the savings were substantial I would go for a caribe balcony over the aft. If the price is right for your budget I would go for the mini always over the aft balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'd definitely keep my aft cabin. I just love the privacy and seclusion it offers. We once gave up a mid-ship Caribe balcony cabin to move when a corner aft became available. I wouldn't give it up for a mini-suite either because I don't like their balconies. But like you said, it's a personal thing

Edited by tartanexile81

Thanks all....i decided to go with the Caribe cabin....it wasn't as much of a refund as I thought, the really great price was for new bookings only, but I did get the increased OBC.

It still is a savings, and we got a bigger balcony without a beam. Whether we will have any regrets about it remains to be seen, but hey, there is always the next cruise!!

We did an aft facing mini suite for the Panama canalat the same time and we were right next to an exterior door to get even better views. HOWEVER the aft balcony is smaller equal to the rounded corner which was annoying sometimes. Also that stateroom deck has absolutely no protection from the sun morning, noon and evening. And, the ocean view is the same no matter where your cabin is on the ship. Another consideration, which direction will the sun be the majority of the trip. You might want port vs starboaard to get either longer time with sun or without sun.

Vernie

Aw, Shredie, I knew it wasn't going to be an upgrade.....I was just trying to get a deal, without having to give up any kind of balcony! I guess I looked at it like I couldn't miss something that I had never experienced in the first place. I'll get to try a real aft someday, I'm sure! And I"ll make sure it doesn't have a beam. And maybe it will be a suite.... ;)

We happen to be among the minority who don't particularly care for the aft balconies so we would trade in a heartbeat if there was a substantial price difference and more OBC. We tried the aft balcony once with great expectations but found that between the vibration and the noise of the wake it was not to our liking. We felt we had to yell at each other to be heard while sitting on the balcony.

We are also part of the majority that do not sail aft cabins.

Well, I think we can argue about the word "majority." :) True, a majority do not sail in them since there aren't that many to begin with, but that doesn't mean a majority wouldn't like to. ;)

Yes! I would give it up in a heartbeat. People rave about aft-facing cabins like they're the best thing in the world. I think that they're way over-rated. After having many of them (all suites, not reg. cabins), we're much happier to be slightly aft of mid-ship on the Caribe Deck in a reg. balcony cabin. Just a matter of personal tastes.

I didn't like the aft cabin. I agree with the noise and the vibration and I prefer to see where I'm going instead of where I've been.

That's really well said and exactly how we feel.

With Princess ships, the walk to the elevator isn't too long, but getting to the midship or forward elevators is a hike.

Well, I think we can argue about the word "majority." :) True, a majority do not sail in them since there aren't that many to begin with, but that doesn't mean a majority wouldn't like to. ;)

We love aft cabins.

We managed to get C752 on Star Princess for our hawaii trip out of San Fran in February. We did book as soon as the cruise was released! Lol. We are very very happy cruisers.

After staying in our first aft cabin on our 3rd cruise we won't cruise unless we get a aft cabin. We usually stay on dolphin deck in a aft suite. Quite back there and no traffic around the hallway. The balconies are bigger and covered, we spend a lot of time relaxing and reading on our balcony. Other balconies can be windy a lot of the time. Also very calm no wind usually,

Unlike most 'aft cabin' threads I've read, more here seem to dislike them. By all means then, don't book them - so that I'll have a better chance of getting one again. No, the view of the ocean is not the same no matter where your balcony is located - you only get to see the wake from the aft cabins. We were mesmerized by the constantly changing wake patterns for 2 weeks on an aft corner on a RCI ship. The sight of a full moon breaking through billowing clouds and reflecting off the wake, or the wake reflecting all the colors of a sunset, is an experience I'll never get enough of. The only vibrations we felt were when docking or leaving port, never heard any 'wake noise', and the longer walk to the cabin helps make up for that extra ice cream or pizza. We just cancelled and rebooked a May cruise when an aft became available and are happily looking forward to it.

I suspect the experience would differ depending on cabin location; lower decks might get more noise and vibration than ours had, and some ships apparently have some obstructed views in the afts, but I'd still book one over any other location.

Thanks all....i decided to go with the Caribe cabin....it wasn't as much of a refund as I thought, the really great price was for new bookings only, but I did get the increased OBC.

It still is a savings, and we got a bigger balcony without a beam. Whether we will have any regrets about it remains to be seen, but hey, there is always the next cruise!!

You won't regret it. The aft view is great but there is a lot of engine vibration on the CB for aft cabins. We recently stayed in B756 and were kept awake several nights by the vibration.

You won't regret it. The aft view is great but there is a lot of engine vibration on the CB for aft cabins. We recently stayed in B756 and were kept awake several nights by the vibration.

I'm old enough to remember motels where you had to put a quarter in a coin box to get your bed to vibrate like that. That was a very exciting treat when we were kids!

IMO - I don't like aft looking cabins.

My choice would be Caribe deck.

I'm old enough to remember motels where you had to put a quarter in a coin box to get your bed to vibrate like that. That was a very exciting treat when we were kids!

LOL! I remember them too! :p

And its obvious everyone has his/her own taste....if we all felt the same, we'd be piled up in one cabin. :D

We love aft cabins.

We managed to get C752 on Star Princess for our hawaii trip out of San Fran in February. We did book as soon as the cruise was released! Lol. We are very very happy cruisers.

We booked C752 on Grand and were offered a move to a mini for very little more money. We turned it down and this was my wife's favorite cabin to date. One night I woke up and went out and sat on the balcony looking out at the huge moon over the wake. It was wonderful. As for the vibration - I told my wife we used to have to put a quarter into the little machine in a hotel to get the bed to do that. :)

Yes, it's a long walk sometimes but we tend to walk a lot and use the stairs a lot so it didn't bother us at all.

Our first (almost true) aft cabin was on Emerald deck on the Emerald, and the vibration drove me nuts at times. Our last cruise was a true aft on Caribe deck on the CB, the vibration was minimal. I'm guessing part of the problem was a lower deck on rough seas, but if we could book an aft on a deck higher than Emerald, we would do it again and not think twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk