Switching to the Dark Side?

dduckieg

So.... my family and I have been on 4 cruises, all with Carnival. The last cruise was August on the Breeze (phenomenal). We have had nothing but great experiences and I am a creature of habit. So, that being said, my wife and I (no kids) are looking at NCL Epic or RCL Liberty of the Seas in Feb 2015. Itinerary doesn't matter, but rather a different "view" of things. Please convince me which. BTW I am very impressionable, lol. It's hard for me to get out of my comfort zone because I'm ready to book another CCL trip.

Thanks all!!!

The Epic was my first cruise in 2011 and my favorite so far! I have only cruised three times, but I loved the entertainment on the Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The above is ONE of many reasons we have sailed the on the Epic three times - GREAT Entertainment! We have tried other CL's but will now stick with NCL

Ohhhh booked the Yacht Club on MSC for next year, will see......

Well, there are many "sides" to the cruising industry. Simply look at the companies that Carnival operates: Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Cunard, Costa and others, and then the other major lines also own multiple companies, and then there are the small single line companies. Each offering is unique and has a different flavor. Carnival is often described as their line that appeals to a younger more partying crowd. Princess perhaps less so, and Holland America even less than Princess. The age demographic changes as you go to the more expensive lines. It all gets complicated and there are several competing choices from the various multi-line companies at the various price points or party points, whichever way you want to describe it.

[Note: I am not disparaging any line here:] I hate to say that Carnival is the bottom rung on the ladder, but it would often be described that way, but then Norwegian and RCL are also their respective lines' bottom rung. If you want that type of cruise and/or age demographic, you would place them on the top rung on your ladder!

Some people choose a cruise by the itinerary, some by the cruise company, and some by the particular ship. There is a thread about choosing the captain, though those that chose Captain Smith (Titanic) or Captain Calami (Andrea Doria) might want to go back and rethink that choice process! You should choose according to what appeals to you. At the same time, realize that there are alternatives out there, and you probably should, at some point, make sure that there is not something that would appeal to you more.

Reading various sections of Cruise Critic will go a long way to helping you determine which other lines, if any, to try out.

Generally speaking cruise lines are in three categories

Budget

Contemporary

Premium

Now p&o is budget along with carnival

Royal princess Hal and celebrity are all in contemporary with celebrity and Hal the top end of their lines

Then premium has Cunard near the bottom with lines like Oceania

Crystal azmara etc above it

This is the lines own descriptions and their desired marketing placement

It is not by age as that doesn't work

Generally older people won't cruise budget lines as they don't offer service that is desired and they will usually be the ones on dearer and longer cruises because they can

But is not are hard rule

Variety is the spice of life ;). We prefer to mix it up. I would never stick with one cruise line, we will continue to cruise based on itinerary, no matter what line. If something different sounds interesting to you, go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So.... my family and I have been on 4 cruises, all with Carnival. The last cruise was August on the Breeze (phenomenal). We have had nothing but great experiences and I am a creature of habit. So, that being said, my wife and I (no kids) are looking at NCL Epic or RCL Liberty of the Seas in Feb 2015. Itinerary doesn't matter, but rather a different "view" of things. Please convince me which. BTW I am very impressionable, lol. It's hard for me to get out of my comfort zone because I'm ready to book another CCL trip.

Thanks all!!!

Honestly, I wonder why you need to try something new if you really love Carnival? What do you imagine you're missing? Personally we don't prefer Carnival but have sailed them twice for price & itinerary and may possibly sail them again. Every other line we've sailed (NCL, RCCL, Celebrity & Princess) do the things that matter to us better, most specifically activities and entertainment, much better buffet food and a slightly more upscale environment in the MDR's. But not everybody values the same things. If I was as satisfied with a product as you apparently are with Carnival I'd stick with them.

Edited by ronandannette

Variety is the spice of life ;). We prefer to mix it up. I would never stick with one cruise line, we will continue to cruise based on itinerary, no matter what line. If something different sounds interesting to you, go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I feel the exact same way!

While I agree that variety is good, I also have personal standards about how much I am willing to give up or put up with. There are two cruise lines that did not meet those standards, and I went away with a feeling that I wasn't satisfied with the experience. I cruise on various cruise lines, but I won't cruise on a line that has failed to meet my expectations, no matter how attractive the prices or itinerary. It's not only about the destination, but also about the journey. I spend too much time on the ship to not care about the experience it provides.

Edited by fortinweb

Honestly, I wonder why you need to try something new if you really love Carnival? What do you imagine you're missing? Personally we don't prefer Carnival but have sailed them twice for price & itinerary and may possibly sail them again. Every other line we've sailed (NCL, RCCL, Celebrity & Princess) do the things that matter to us better, most specifically activities and entertainment, much better buffet food and a slightly more upscale environment in the MDR's. But not everybody values the same things. If I was as satisfied with a product as you apparently are with Carnival I'd stick with them.

I'm going to go with this statement here.

My wife and I have 11 previous Carnival cruises.

We just returned from the Royal Freedom of the Seas..

At the end of the day, I experienced no differences in food, customer service, entertainment, cabins, or customer demographics. (Old, some young, some not drinking, some over drinking, kids, blacks, whites, browns, yellows, different languages being spoken, some beautiful people, some fluffy people, some people not so beautiful, some people so skinny you want to buy them a cheeseburger)

A couple of things I liked better than Carnival, a couple of things I think Carnival is better at.

Which way am I leaning for future vacations? Carnival

Why? Carnival has a more "Fun" atmosphere all around.

The demographics on Royal were a little bit older, a little bit more refined, but at the same time,,, a LOT more pretentious.

Now, if Carnival could combine Guy's Burgers with Johnny Rockets atmosphere,,,, you'd have a winner

While I agree that variety is good, I also have personal standards about how much I am willing to give up or put up with. There are two cruise lines that did not meet those standards, and I went away with a feeling that I wasn't satisfied with the experience. I cruise on various cruise lines, but I won't cruise on a line that has failed to meet my expectations, no matter how attractive the prices or itinerary. It's not only about the destination, but also about the journey. I spend too much time on the ship to not care about the experience it provides.

You know sometimes I cruise for a cruise, and sometimes I use a cruise as ferry service. if the cruise is port intensive and NOT the Caribbean( so I am doing excursions in every port,)well now I am the age where sometimes all I want to do is chill in the evening. I could care less how great the food is,entertainment,etc. even if my fellow PAX are rowdy,I do not care as I am more than likely in my room chilling as I am exhausted from the day. I learned that from our Med cruise. We were on a great ship, but I did not enjoy the ship too much as I was too tired and did not do the "night life." Now for a Caribbean cruise where I have been to about every port that is offered it is different; as I do not do much in port so I want to enjoy the ship.

I have my favorites. Celebrity and Princess. If HAL does ban smoking on balconies in 2015 as I was told, then I will like them equally as well. After them comes RCI radiance class ships. NCL comes after than and Carnival is my least favorite.

However we are looking at California cruises possibly next year or 2016. Carnival offers Catalina Island from LA and Princess doesn't. Princess does Santa Barbara instead and we had that port last year when we did the Princess coastal cruise. So, we may book Carnival and yep they are cheap, but that only means we can afford a suite,so even if all my fellow PAX are rowdy drunks, I will have a place to chill away from them.

Been on the Epic and it was a good cruise. There was so much to do that I couldn't do it all. I was a little peeved about that. I Did not like the cabin setup on the Epic, so, check into that. I found that NCL rooms are smaller than normal. My opinion is that a D1 on Royal is bigger than a mini-suite on NCL. I would go on the Epic again for the right itinerary.

RC Liberty was a good cruise, too. Can't find a complaint about that cruise except the comic juggler. Tired of Vegas tired jugglers. That's my one complaint about all cruise lines.

I really can't recommend one over the other.

Edited by Ladyinflight

I could care less how great the food is,entertainment,etc. even if my fellow PAX are rowdy,I do not care as I am more than likely in my room chilling as I am exhausted from the day.

So, we may book Carnival and yep they are cheap, but that only means we can afford a suite,so even if all my fellow PAX are rowdy drunks, I will have a place to chill away from them.

I would never take a cruise where I would need to depend on my stateroom to get away from rowdy passengers. Not sure how that can be an enjoyable cruise, being forced to hide in your room to get away from unpleasant situations. I spend too much time on the ship in between ports to be on one that I don't find enjoyable.

But, to each their own. We each have different standards.

We would rank NCL below Carnival in every way but entertainment. We rank RCI above Carnival. If you're looking for something really different, and if you want to be pampered more, then look at Princess or Celebrity.

I totally agree