So what exactly is Dynamic Dinning?

ACJT

I cancelled my Quantum cruise because of DD. They would only permit Diamond and suite guest to book at first and then everything was gone. When I booked it I was assigned a seating then I was not. When they get the bugs worked out then I'll try it but not now.

I cancelled my Quantum cruise because of DD. They would only permit Diamond and suite guest to book at first and then everything was gone. When I booked it I was assigned a seating then I was not. When they get the bugs worked out then I'll try it but not now.

For DD to work they need to limit pre bookings to one visit per venue before a return visit is allowed to be booked.

Some will book the same venue for multiple nights like in the Grande which will leave "walk Ins" or onboard bookers who could not pre book having to take anything they can get which will surly end up being the most unpopular times, venues or menus.

Surely it's safe to assume that the various complimentary dining rooms that make up the 'dynamic dining' consist of the same amount of seats and tables as one huge main dining room?

Personally, having never cruised before, so with no preconceptions and with my first cruise booked on the Anthem next year, I find the concept far more appealing than sitting at the same table in the same restaurant for 14 nights.

Edited by The Tuckmeister

Surely it's safe to assume that the various complimentary dining rooms that make up the 'dynamic dining' consist of the same amount of seats and tables as one huge main dining room?

Personally, having never cruised before, so with no preconceptions and with my first cruise booked on the Anthem next year, I find the concept far more appealing than sitting at the same table in the same restaurant for 14 nights.

For many of us who cruised before traditional dining holds a lot of great memories: the waiters that know your name and your preferences, great conversations and a lot of laughter.

We've tried MTD and though it was convenient to dine whenever we wanted the "magic of the dining room":) was definitely lost. I predict the DD will have he same effect.

For many of us who cruised before traditional dining holds a lot of great memories: the waiters that know your name and your preferences, great conversations and a lot of laughter.

We've tried MTD and though it was convenient to dine whenever we wanted the "magic of the dining room":) was definitely lost. I predict the DD will have he same effect.

Good point well made.

A miserable experiment that will try to entice more people to go to Specialty Restaurants. :(:(:(

As of now, 4 of the dining rooms are complimentary, with the final one being complimentary to guests in JSs and up.

I was a little oblivious to the idea until I educated myself on each. Now, I believe this will be a foodie's paradise. It is the answer to a common complaint about dressing formally. For people with simple tastes, it offers an American fare (fried chicken, burgers, etc.). It basically covers more bases than the ordinary MDR.

Exciting times for the cruise world.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

So why fix what is not broken:confused: A restaurant that can seat well over 1000 at one time with more choices than is offered by DD!

All cruisers will eventually have to pre pay their grats for DD and as said some will be inclined to pay for speciality that they usually wouldnt do and just to get the current variety and time preference that may not be available with DD., add to this those choosing speciality venues will pay an extra gratuity over the pre paid.

I am sure there are some that believe pre paid gratuities will not be introduced with DD but given the current MTD model it will be necessary to stop cruisers choosing speciality only and paying only the gratuity included in the speciality price.:)

We agree 100%

For DD to work they need to limit pre bookings to one visit per venue before a return visit is allowed to be booked.

Some will book the same venue for multiple nights like in the Grande which will leave "walk Ins" or onboard bookers who could not pre book having to take anything they can get which will surly end up being the most unpopular times, venues or menus.

Change is not always good,so called dd dining is only good for the changer.:mad:

Now, I believe this will be a foodie's paradise. It is the answer to a common complaint about dressing formally. For people with simple tastes, it offers an American fare (fried chicken, burgers, etc.). It basically covers more bases than the ordinary MDR.

Totally agree :) I'm a foodie and very excited by this - rarely got excited about anything on the MDR menu.

As of now, 4 of the dining rooms are complimentary, with the final one being complimentary to guests in JSs and up.

I was a little oblivious to the idea until I educated myself on each. Now, I believe this will be a foodie's paradise. It is the answer to a common complaint about dressing formally. For people with simple tastes, it offers an American fare (fried chicken, burgers, etc.). It basically covers more bases than the ordinary MDR.

Good analysis.

Dynamic Dining is the thing (besides the BOHOHO) that enticed us to return to RCI. We dislike formal nights and DD solves the formal night dress code issues once and for all. Those that like to dress up have their exclusive venue where they can go and the rest of us will have ours. It will also serve as a test to see just how popular formal dining is with the cruising public.

We certainly hope DD will be on Allure when we sail in March 16.

Good analysis.

Dynamic Dining is the thing (besides the BOHOHO) that enticed us to return to RCI. We dislike formal nights and DD solves the formal night dress code issues once and for all. Those that like to dress up have their exclusive venue where they can go and the rest of us will have ours. It will also serve as a test to see just how popular formal dining is with the cruising public.

So does this mean there will be no dress code of any type for the four Dynamic Dinning locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by ACJT

So this is potentially taking the care freeness of cruising. Instead of having your fixed time and table waiting its gonna take some planning ahead... Or possibly having to be prepared to pay$$

I didn't find a fixed dining time very 'free' at all. It was inflexible. Sure, I didn't have to think about it or make a reservation, so I guess in that sense it was freeing..

But I have to say, nothing makes me more irritated about these threads then "DINNING" ;)

Please correct me if I mis-understand. On a 7-night cruise, there are 7 different menus in the MDR on RCL ships. If I'm not a suite guest, there will be 4 dining rooms (not counting the Wind Jammer) on the Quantum. Aren't the choices on the Quantum now much more limited? Doesn't seem as interesting to me. :(:(:(

I think the menus in each restaurant are a little larger than the ones in the MDR, so on a 7 night cruise, if you like at least 2 dishes from every restaurant you will be able to have a different meal every night.

Well said. I love the personal touch that the MDR gives. This past May on the Radiance, we had our drinks on the table every night and by the second night both our waitress and her assistant called our family by name.

So does this mean there will be no dress code of any type for the four Dynamic Dinning locations?

There is a dress code for all five DD locations. The Grande is formal on all nights and the others are always smart casual. I thought I was being clear when I said "formal night dress code". My apologies.

While we have enjoyed the MDR over the past couple of years I must say that I did not enjoy the new menus as much as the previous ones.

While some of the menus were great and I could have easily ordered 2 or 3 items as an entree there were others that I struggled to find something that appealed to me and we would go to a precisely restaurant instead. Unfortunately those menus that appealed to me I could only eat at once. Each day I would have to choose from 6 or 7 dishes and then They would not be available for the rest of the cruise.

With DD every night I have a choice of 4 restaurants each offering at least 8 entrees and if I find something that I love I can go back and have it again. If there happens to be 4 items on one menu that I like I dont have to worry that they will not be there the next night. Many people will go to a specialty restaurant a couple of times a cruise and have the exact same thing so I don't see a problem with that.

Also for those with allergies or who are picky eaters I think that DD will make it much easier for them to find something that they can eat. While the total number of selections may not be quite as many as you would get over the course of a week having all of them available every day as opposed to a small number every day will make their decisions easier. I know that my DW who has a dairy allergy is really looking forward to this as am I.

No. There is one formal venue. The other four (there is a fifth restaurant for suite people), are all casual dining. Check out the dining section on RCI's website. It gives a detailed description of each of the new restaurants, including a menu for each. After reading the menus, I pulled out the pom-poms and turned into a cheerleader for Dynamic Dining. It may take time for experienced cruisers to warm up to (those that are open-minded enough to take a chance), but it's a great and fun idea.

No. There is one formal venue. The other four (there is a fifth restaurant for suite people), are all casual dining. Check out the dining section on RCI's website. It gives a detailed description of each of the new restaurants, including a menu for each. After reading the menus, I pulled out the pom-poms and turned into a cheerleader for Dynamic Dining. It may take time for experienced cruisers to warm up to (those that are open-minded enough to take a chance), but it's a great and fun idea.

Minor point. The 'suite' option includes mini-suites too.

The only thing is the new. 5 complimentary restaurants not 4 are set for three sittings per night in lieu of two

They won't fit everyone at once if no one goes specialty but their numbers have shown a huge drop in main dining and increase in specialty

They know what numbers each night use mdr and have catered accordingly with excess for occasional overflows

They don't need and it would be business auicide to cater to have the whole ship be able to use mdr on one night if they wanted as that is not what happens

By having the equal if mdr as dynamic they don't have to keep the one specific seat open for a person who may attend once or twice in the cruise

Plus you are forgetting the windjammer

It is a good idea if they can get it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent assessment!

So this is potentially taking the care freeness of cruising. Instead of having your fixed time and table waiting its gonna take some planning ahead... Or possibly having to be prepared to pay$$

Or, it is offering more freedom with a little bit of effort. Rather than confining guests to one complimentary dining room with one menu every night, it is offering 4 choices (5 if you are in a suite).

As for planning ahead, what happens when you try to book and main seating isn't available? You wind up with MTD (no complaints with this, I have it now) or second seating.

One of the things I like about one of the restaurants is the formal dress code. While it doesn't require a tuxedo and formal dress, it eliminates the discomfort of being dressed to the nines whilst seated at the table with some one in a t-shirt and khakis. (Not judging. I understand both sides. There are times, when I am on vacation, that I just don't want to be bothered with a dress, heels and flashy jewelry. And still other times, when I want to walk a red carpet. DD will provide the opportunity for both.)

Good analysis.

So do we.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with groups that want to be seated together. The group I sail with is typically 50-80 people and dinner is our intra-group socializing time. Traditional dining with fixed seating times accommodates this trivially: 4-6 big tables in one hunk of the dining room, and it's done.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with groups that want to be seated together. The group I sail with is typically 50-80 people and dinner is our intra-group socializing time. Traditional dining with fixed seating times accommodates this trivially: 4-6 big tables in one hunk of the dining room, and it's done.

Wonder if they'll have semi-private rooms/areas for large groups?