discount for disney cruise

bnorris10

Whats the best way to make my disney cruise the cheapest possible ?

Promo codes? Onboard Credits?

Just wondering where I get these things from

Regardless of where/how you make a DCL reservation, the cost will be the same. Now, there are some Travel Agents who offer perks in the form of Onboard Credits, or other things (photo packages, bottle of wine, etc) for using them to book the cruise. These are typically taken out of the "cut" for the TA making the reservation. Not all TAs have perks.

Occasionally, on cruises that aren't selling well, DCL may come out with offers (Florida resident, Military, last-minute restricted fares, for example), however those rates, while lower than the prevailing rate for the same room the day before they are offered, they tend to be higher than the same room would have been, had you booked it on opening day.

Pretty much, the rate you see when looking to book, is the rate it is.

Ok so I ended up finding a place online that would give me a $300 OBC for buying thru them so I called a local place and she offered me $50 OBC and I was like well such and such offered $300 and she was like oh well thats a good deal you should get that and it shocked me because you would think for $250 more she would have wanted my almost $8000 so anyways I moved along and called another company that is local and the lady was super nice and she was like well we don't have anything we can offer for these particular cruises she checked like 3 different systems so I mentioned the deal with other company and she was like let me get your number and call you right back and so 10 minutes later she calls me back and gives me a $350 OBC plus she set it up so that the cruise line picks my cabin and she said for the cabin category I have there was not many rooms left so she feels pretty good that they will run out of those rooms more then likely and that what happens then is Disney will upgrade our room free of charge to the next cabin up which was a $3000 difference .... Either way even if I don't get the free upgrade I am thrilled and she invited me to an event that Disney is hosting and said they would have some goodies for me when I arrived :-)

Not to mention using my paypal debit card to pay for the cruise so I get 1.5% cashback which is about $120 back which was a much better deal then the $50 OBC that the Chase was offering me to book using their card

So all together ended up with about $470 in discounts just from doing a little research

Most of the time, any OBC from a TA is coming out of whatever they get as a commission, and it isn't much. The first TA who wouldn't offer the higher OBC would probably have had to given you money out of her pocket. Some can afford to do it, some can't. It's not the same as it is when someone is selling a car at a dealership and gets a commission for a higher priced vehicle.

Either way, that was a good snag.

Be happy with what you have....always......because the odds of an upgrade are minimal. Very minimal.

I am a first time cruiser so I do not know all the cost patterns, but we just booked a non refundable ticket in October and got a nice discount, I think it is like 30%. I know in DW they seem to follow the same discount patterns every year in the shoulder months

Yah if I get an upgrade thats awesome if not does not really matter to me because we got a verandah even if its like not a good view we only want it so we can get fresh air when we are in the room for a period of time

Just as a note: DCL does ask that you don't leave the verandah doors open, as it messes with the air conditioning systems.

Greetings. The wife and I are applying for a Target credit card and buying Disney gift cards to get a discount. Disney is not the cheapest so we want to save where we can.

That's what we did for our cruise. Bought Disney Gift cards with our Target Red card (5% discount) and then used them to pay for our cruise. And put some on our onboard account.

Also note that different agencies get different commission levels based on volume. So its entirely possible one agency cannot match another price (to use an example, on an $8000 booking one agent might see $800 in comission, another might see $400 and another $250.

If you plan to cruise mostly with one line, finding an agency that specializes in them is not a bad plan.

We find FLR, Florida resident rate, to be our best discount. You do need to be flexible with dates and show proof of Florida residence for each person within a few days of booking.

The other perk of living in Orlando, is having many cast member friends. We have sailed a few times on the family and friends discount. Its higher than the cast member themselves but even lower than FLR.

Ok so I ended up finding a place online that would give me a $300 OBC for buying thru them so I called a local place and she offered me $50 OBC and I was like well such and such offered $300 and she was like oh well thats a good deal you should get that and it shocked me because you would think for $250 more she would have wanted my almost $8000 so anyways I moved along and called another company that is local and the lady was super nice and she was like well we don't have anything we can offer for these particular cruises she checked like 3 different systems so I mentioned the deal with other company and she was like let me get your number and call you right back and so 10 minutes later she calls me back and gives me a $350 OBC plus she set it up so that the cruise line picks my cabin and she said for the cabin category I have there was not many rooms left so she feels pretty good that they will run out of those rooms more then likely and that what happens then is Disney will upgrade our room free of charge to the next cabin up which was a $3000 difference .... Either way even if I don't get the free upgrade I am thrilled and she invited me to an event that Disney is hosting and said they would have some goodies for me when I arrived :-)

Not to mention using my paypal debit card to pay for the cruise so I get 1.5% cashback which is about $120 back which was a much better deal then the $50 OBC that the Chase was offering me to book using their card

So all together ended up with about $470 in discounts just from doing a little research

We booked our cruise last September with the GTY category like yours and was pleasantly surprised with an upgrade! Many people posted they received a small upgrade at that time. Good luck and great shopping around. We shopped around and also received on board credit and also free travel insurance. It definitely pays to ask!

Book very Early or very Late (after final date) .Find a cruise when most schools are in session.

Waiting to book close in could get you a good rate,r could be more $$, or unavailable ,especially if you have more than 2 guests or are fussy about cabin type/location and dinning times.

Book with a Disney Visa card for the $50obc .

Book thru a TA whom will give you a OBC .

For me, we use a TA and get OBC which usually covers our tips and of course, we book as far out as possible.

The other thing for us on DCL is that the cruise cost is close to our only cost - we keep our on board spending to a minimum (only a couple of drinks, a little shopping - no spa, no photos, no excursions). It helps bring the cost of DCL more into line with our total spending on our other cruises.

On DCL, the ship is our destination and our goal is to enjoy the ship and "get our monies worth" without spending extra.

We often use the Fla resident specials too.Check the Special Offers section.You'll often find some great deals at certain times of year.People seem to think that DCL is expensive,but if you do a land trip to Disneyworld,by the time you figure hotels,gas,souvenirs,food,etc,etc,you'll be spending probably at least as much if not more.You get alot for what you pay for on a Disney cruise!;)