booking After Final Payment

mcrcruiser

Agree COMPLETELY with Shake! ;)

Last fall's 15 night T/A on Reflection for $449pp was booked only 10 days before sailing, and I STILL got dirt cheap tickets to Rome through Choice Air. (I ALMOST felt guilty about the $250 OBC) :D

Next week's 23 night Century to Australia for $799pp with a return flight from Sydney (also through Choice Air) for only $619pp was yet ANOTHER steal! ($250 OBC on this one, too) :eek:

I have absolutely NO intention of ever booking early. :cool:

BUT you must have the flexibility to take advantage of these incredible opportunities in the last two months before sail away. :o

Is the OBC from your agent, or from stock?

I agree regarding the itinerary.

Also, I would opine that buying airfare a few weeks from a transatlantic flight will be higher 9 out of 10 times than if you purchased 6-8 months ahead of time.

That has not been my experience. I start looking at airfares as soon as I start considering a cruise but seldom book until a month or six weeks out and have always found the airfare on choice air to be within five or $10 of the lowest prices I've seen.

If you used a TA to book the current cruise you are on, the on board booking is automatically transferred over to them.

At least that's how it was when we booked on board in the past. We have not done it in 2 years.

Yes, I understand that, but when we've booked on board it was for cruises that had NOT reached final payment date. If the cruise in question has reached final payment, does the on board booking automatically transfer to an agent or does it remain with X?

That has not been my experience. I start looking at airfares as soon as I start considering a cruise but seldom book until a month or six weeks out and have always found the airfare on choice air to be within five or $10 of the lowest prices I've seen.

This has also been my experience with fares since I am always mulling over possibilities of pre or post cruise options until closer to the sailing date and almost never book before 6-8 weeks out. I have found Fares do not change much, if at all, except that I have stumbled on some great deals within 6 weeks of sailing.

I usually fly to and from LAX, which is a large hub, so smaller airports may be different.

Is the OBC from your agent, or from stock?

The two examples I cited were both shareholder OBC, but I have also received additional OBC from online sites as well.

Silhouette 14 night T/A to Amsterdam in April of 2015, was $699pp with $250 shareholder OBC, and an additional $200 OBC from the online site.

Not always true, either. Check out the Constellation Holy Land cruise from Istanbul October 25.

Inside Cabins $599

OV $799

Veranda $999

Concierge $1,099

Aqua $1,199

Suite $1,689 (special Captains club offer)

Airfare has not changed at all in the past 6 months on this cruise, at least not from LAX, dont know about other cities but assume it is similar.

I have also gotten phenomenal airfares in the last 2 months before sailing. Like FCO to JGK business on Lufthansa last December for $830 plus an additional $100 OBC for booking at that time. So sometimes it definitely pays to procrastinate.:D

Concur, fares through Choice Air are not only significantly less expensive, but change very little over time. Minneapolis to London was $394pp, Minneapolis to Rome was only $508pp and booked only 8 days before flying out. :eek:

Fares to meet the Constellation for this fall's b2b Holy Land/TA are still dirt cheap right now, even though the cruise fares have skyrocketed in the last two weeks.

Edited by teecee60

I'm a first time cruiser...following this thread and appreciate all the good advice people take time to share. I realize that no one can see into the future to give me guarantees, but could you still share your opinion anyhow based upon your booking experience?

Considering a oceanview room on a Celebrity 5 day Western Carrib Jan 15 sailing for me and my husband. Need something lower level/midship due to seasickness and really coveting that bev package perk that ends oct 5th :)

I live 1 hour from port, so no airfare issues - can be quite flexible.

Should I just pull the trigger now and pay more for the cabin to lock in that perk before it ends? (I checked around and there doesn't seem to be much else in terms of OBC or perks offered on this cruise right now thru TAs... their deals are same as booking with Celebrity directly, other than the one online TA that charges $100 pp agency change fee.

Do you think cabins may drop much on these shorter cruises? Is it worth missing out on bev package perk ending 10/5? Or is that really a pretty sweet deal already? And if I can't find a TA that offers anything more than Celebrity is offering already, does it make sense to just book direct given this is a pretty short, straightfwd trip?

Sorry about all the questions: just don't have anyone objective I know that I can ask :)

I'm a first time cruiser...following this thread and appreciate all the good advice people take time to share. I realize that no one can see into the future to give me guarantees, but could you still share your opinion anyhow based upon your booking experience?

Considering a oceanview room on a Celebrity 5 day Western Carrib Jan 15 sailing for me and my husband. Need something lower level/midship due to seasickness and really coveting that bev package perk that ends oct 5th :)

I live 1 hour from port, so no airfare issues - can be quite flexible.

Should I just pull the trigger now and pay more for the cabin to lock in that perk before it ends? (I checked around and there doesn't seem to be much else in terms of OBC or perks offered on this cruise right now thru TAs... their deals are same as booking with Celebrity directly, other than the one online TA that charges $100 pp agency change fee.

Do you think cabins may drop much on these shorter cruises? Is it worth missing out on bev package perk ending 10/5? Or is that really a pretty sweet deal already? And if I can't find a TA that offers anything more than Celebrity is offering already, does it make sense to just book direct given this is a pretty short, straightfwd trip?

Sorry about all the questions: just don't have anyone objective I know that I can ask :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Your thinking is spot on--book now and grab that drink package. But since it is still a long way to final payment, keep checking prices and if they happen to get low enough to make it worthwhile to give up the pkg, you can easily switch to a different cabin. Also, doubtful there will be much change on the shorter cruises anyway--but it pays to keep checking.

thank you CathyCruises: appreciate your words of advice! Just 1 more question: do you think I'd miss out on anything booking direct with Celebrity in this instance, given there's no flights or land excursions to coordinate and no extras through offered by TAs at this point? Or is finding a TA still the safer bet? (I pretty much know the cabin location I want already and it's just the 2 of us - no group, adjoining rooms to coordinate.)

thank you CathyCruises: appreciate your words of advice! Just 1 more question: do you think I'd miss out on anything booking direct with Celebrity in this instance, given there's no flights or land excursions to coordinate and no extras through offered by TAs at this point? Or is finding a TA still the safer bet? (I pretty much know the cabin location I want already and it's just the 2 of us - no group, adjoining rooms to coordinate.)

The only reason to book with a TA in my opinion is for added bennies. But since you're not finding an (and that's no surprise on a shorter cruise with the drinks package) I'd just book directly with X. That way if you do want t make amy changes, it's all under your control.

Good luck!

flafun888,

I know the drink package seems like a great deal, but on a 5 night cruise, you may not spend nearly what they say the package is worth. The main reason we have enjoyed the drink package is the convenience of not having to sign for a drink. On our last Celebrity cruise, which was a 7 night out of San Juan, we spent $250 for the two of us, and that included frozen coffee beverages, water, martinis and wine. We didn't feel like we missed out on anything because we were paying separately.

I guess what I'm saying is to see if the prices go down and consider losing the drink package.

Good luck and welcome to cruising!!!

Edited by vplsh

"In our last Celebrity cruise, which was a 7 night out of San Juan, we spent $250 for the two of us, and that included frozen coffee beverages, water, martinis and wine"

Thanks Lisa: good point. You're giving me something to think about. We both loves our espressos and we enjoy drinking socially, but we're definitely not huge party people or excessive. Probably a drink during the day, maybe 2-3 more each between glass of wine at dinner and later that night at most. Will have to crunch the numbers again and see just how big a benefit it is.

We booked flights for my spring break next year which would give us three options for cruises. Saved a lot of money on the airfare and hoping to get one of the three cruises for a lot less than they are now. This is the first time we've done this, so we'll have to see if it works out for us.

With a lot of colleges having spring breaks albeit at different times hopefully there will be space available for you. I know some cruise lines really push their spring break cruises at colleges. I have done one spring break cruise. I am not a student. Never again. Never saw so many intoxicated/stoned students at one place since a rock concert I attended back in the 70's. :D

With a lot of colleges having spring breaks albeit at different times hopefully there will be space available for you. I know some cruise lines really push their spring break cruises at colleges. I have done one spring break cruise. I am not a student. Never again. Never saw so many intoxicated/stoned students at one place since a rock concert I attended back in the 70's. :D

No Cruise Zone IS........March. :cool:

If you want to go on a popular cruise, it will most likely sell out before final payment.

Examples: Around the Horn of South America or cruise out of Istanbul.

Also, airfare is a lot more at the last minute.

Another example: Australia/New Zealand. My cruise which starts Jan 27, 2015 is completely sold out for weeks now. Glad I booked an inside solo cabin for a reasonable price back in Nov 2013. Solo cabins have been sold out even longer.

Unfortunately I am a school principal and we are stuck cruising on school holidays. That's our Spring Break week. We have sailed that week for several years and have been lucky that it hasn't been too bad. Looking forward to retirement in six years to be able to sail at other times!!

"In our last Celebrity cruise, which was a 7 night out of San Juan, we spent $250 for the two of us, and that included frozen coffee beverages, water, martinis and wine"

Thanks Lisa: good point. You're giving me something to think about. We both loves our espressos and we enjoy drinking socially, but we're definitely not huge party people or excessive. Probably a drink during the day, maybe 2-3 more each between glass of wine at dinner and later that night at most. Will have to crunch the numbers again and see just how big a benefit it is.

I mentioned it to my husband last night and he said he would definitely have drunk more, but he was glad he didn't because he didn't need to have more than a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, a pre-dinner martini, and a couple of beers poolside. The drink packages encourages us to drink more than we should, for sure!!

"The drink packages encourages us to drink more than we should, for sure!" Definitely relate to that: no wrist twisting needed here to have a couple more when the "house" is paying. :)

for me it just means that i can be a bit adventurous in trying new drinks in particular molecular bar. jelena said ' if u really dont like what i make then just leave it '. i didnt leave any ! 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apologize for asking the same question. I'm looking for advice from the wise CC gang.

Me (43 m) and my 9 yo son will be in San Juan, PR over New Years and want to do a cruise. Leaning towards Celebrity Summit, the final holiday 90 final payment deadline is 9/20/2014. Used another place and counted 77 in/out cabins below aqua, concierge, and suites available.

12/27 Celebrity Summit ocean gty 2,800 $275 obc and tips included

12/27 RCL Jewel ocean 2,200 $215 obc

12/28 Carnival Valor ocean gty 1,730 $25 obc

I'm leaning towards Celebrity and I think the price is fair but I can do any of these. Never been on carnival, I like eating well and less party scene. If the collective thought is celebrity will discount, then I will gamble on that. In any case, hopefully one would still be affordable.

Anybody care to share their thoughts?

Apologize for asking the same question. I'm looking for advice from the wise CC gang.

Me (43 m) and my 9 yo son will be in San Juan, PR over New Years and want to do a cruise. Leaning towards Celebrity Summit, the final holiday 90 final payment deadline is 9/20/2014. Used another place and counted 77 in/out cabins below aqua, concierge, and suites available.

12/27 Celebrity Summit ocean gty 2,800 $275 obc and tips included

12/27 RCL Jewel ocean 2,200 $215 obc

12/28 Carnival Valor ocean gty 1,730 $25 obc

I'm leaning towards Celebrity and I think the price is fair but I can do any of these. Never been on carnival, I like eating well and less party scene. If the collective thought is celebrity will discount, then I will gamble on that. In any case, hopefully one would still be affordable.

Anybody care to share their thoughts?

I think you have laid out your options quite nicely. Try looking for a place with a 90 day ticker for alternatives. I found an OV cabin for $1249pp with $400 OBC.

Carnival IS quite a bit less expensive, and MIGHT have more for your son, but Celebrity DOES have a pretty good kids program as well. For you, Celebrity has better food and less of a party atmosphere. I'm a big fan of X but REALLY wish they had a piano bar like Carnival. Pros and cons all around, but...

Being with your son on a cruise over new years... PRICELESS! Enjoy!

(You could also consider a tour of the Arecibo Radio Telescope, an hour west of San Juan.)

Edited by teecee60

I think you have laid out your options quite nicely. Try looking for a place with a 90 day ticker for alternatives. I found an OV cabin for $1249pp with $400 OBC.

Carnival IS quite a bit less expensive, and MIGHT have more for your son, but Celebrity DOES have a pretty good kids program as well. For you, Celebrity has better food and less of a party atmosphere. I'm a big fan of X but REALLY wish they had a piano bar like Carnival. Pros and cons all around, but...

Being with your son on a cruise over new years... PRICELESS! Enjoy!

(You could also consider a tour of the Arecibo Radio Telescope, an hour west of San Juan.)

Thanks, I called them a bit ago and their total was $3,000. That surprised me.

The prices I quoted include all taxes and port fees, I listed the obc out.

I looked at the pricing history, if I'm reading correctly, it seems celebrity didn't lower the base after the 90 days.

Booking at the last minute can save you money. I've done it many times. In May, I booked a Bermuda cruise the month before it sailed. I live close enough to Bayonne to drive to the port. Saved a lot of money.

For cruises that I must fly to waiting can be a problem. As cruise prices drop closer to embarkation, airline fares go up. That cruise bargain may not be such a good deal if you have to pay a high price for a plane ticket.

If I know where I want to go way in advance, I book it early. For best selection of cabins, early is better. For best prices, late and/or GTY is better. What works for me may not be for you. Each time I book, I consider the options. Good luck.