Continued price drops after final payment date

Vineyard View

We too have 300+ days with HAL and 35 cruises but I did not say that it is policy, in fact policy was not even mentioned in my comments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but you seem to get it every time. That is what I'm referring to. That said, you'd think there was never any price reductions based on comments on this thread and the fact that some never seem to experience them.

I think it's likely to say most folks are mariners although I'm quite sure someone will dispute that in seconds. I've got 300+ days with HAL and at times I've gotten something for decreases after final but not every time. It certainly isn't policy but it sounds like you are saying it is.

For what it is worth, we are 5 stars with way more than double your 300+ actual days on HAL.

When pricing has decreased after final payment, we usually do not get even OBC. A couple of times we got 50 pp which was way less than the price drop.

I do think it has a lot to do with how much you originally paid. The more you paid, the more chance you have of getting something. Book and inside or outside and you can expect zip.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I guess bottom line is that some of you are fine no matter the cost as long as you get the cabin / itinerary you want. Others are totally loyal and believe that the lack of pricing policy within HAL is common and that all cruise lines play this extreme money game - which is not with all cruise lines, but that's okay. And then there are those of us who do feel that $3,000 on the table for the same exact balcony cabin is not okay - and we are free to go elsewhere if we choose - but for me, it has been a really bad experience with HAL. Whether anyone feels like it should leave that taste or not doesn't matter - JMO

You state that it is not true of all Cruise Lines, but you are completely mistaken! On every Cruise Line I checked there were many Threads where Psgrs are complaining about price drops after final payment..

All you have to do in the search function is put in: "Price Drops" And every single cruise line states the new lower prices are applicable to new bookings only..

For instance:

1. Celebrity Board Post No. 2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056256&highlight=price+drop

2. Princess Post no 5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2098113&highlight=price+drop

3. NCL Board Post No. 1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087375&highlight=price+drop

4. Cunard board Post No. 1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2035020&highlight=price+drop

I especially thought the poster on Cunard was trying to be a bit funny..

Quote Overall price has dropped £1,800 to what I paid a couple of days ago, note to oneself do not check the prices after paying final invoice!

Pretty certain Cunard will say hard cheese, but so much for looking after early bookers and not feeling like I will rush to book a Cunard Fare in future. Also offering new bookings a complimentary anniversary upgrade – hmmm Unquote

Now if you can get more OBC there is no harm in trying, & I too would do that but to accuse a cruise line of playing games or cheating you is ludicrous!

I was in the Travel Industry long enough to know that all hotels, cruise lines & even airlines will drop prices if their product is not selling that well..

Edited by serendipity1499

I guess we have some experienced HAL cruisers that have differing views, I know what has happened to our cruising and that 's my main focus to look out for No.1. I will continue to work closely with our PCC and continue with HAL, discounts or not.

For what it is worth, we are 5 stars with way more than double your 300+ actual days on HAL.

When pricing has decreased after final payment, we usually do not get even OBC. A couple of times we got 50 pp which was way less than the price drop.

I do think it has a lot to do with how much you originally paid. The more you paid, the more chance you have of getting something. Book and inside or outside and you can expect zip.

First to clarify, I'm not saying I have so many days. I was responding to the poster that said it pays to be a mariner. After one cruise you are a mariner so I'm sure there are millions of them. We've also seen many, many threads about lower star mariners getting better prices than higher star so it really doesn't pay to be a higher star. I'll be taking this info to Hal if my cruise goes down now so I can surely get a obc because I'm a mariner after all:D.

You state that it is not true of all Cruise Lines, but you are completely mistaken! On every Cruise Line I checked there were many Threads where Psgrs are complaining about price drops after final payment..

All you have to do in the search function is put in: "Price Drops" And every single cruise line states the new lower prices are applicable to new bookings only..

For instance:

1. Celebrity Board Post No. 2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056256&highlight=price+drop

2. Princess Post no 5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2098113&highlight=price+drop

3. NCL Board Post No. 1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087375&highlight=price+drop

4. Cunard board Post No. 1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2035020&highlight=price+drop

I especially thought the poster on Cunard was trying to be a bit funny..

Quote Overall price has dropped £1,800 to what I paid a couple of days ago, note to oneself do not check the prices after paying final invoice!

Pretty certain Cunard will say hard cheese, but so much for looking after early bookers and not feeling like I will rush to book a Cunard Fare in future. Also offering new bookings a complimentary anniversary upgrade – hmmm Unquote

Now if you can get more OBC there is no harm in trying, & I too would do that but to accuse a cruise line of playing games or cheating you is ludicrous!

I was in the Travel Industry long enough to know that all hotels, cruise lines & even airlines will drop prices if their product is not selling that well..

It's one thing to not agree with someone but why must you always call their thoughts ludicrous? I've seen this type of comment from you many times. I don't agree with you but I don't call your opinions ludicrous. I find it very unkind.

Edited by cruz chic

Cruz chic you say you are not saying you have so many days when in a previous post you said you had 300+ days? I am the poster mentioned and had you read my post I too have 300+ days with HAL so what's your point? Plus your last sentence shows your arrogance, "I'm a Mariner after all"! Good luck I'm done as I don't need to be ridiculed by you!

It's one thing to not agree with someone but why must you always call their thoughts ludicrous? I've seen this type of comment from you many times. I don't agree with you but I don't call your opinions ludicrous. It's really very unkind.

Unkind? :D:D How could my stating that something is laughable be considered unkind? To me it is laughable when someone accuses HAL of trying to cheat them &/or is playing games..

Yes you have seen this comment from me, because I truly do laugh at many of the posts here...If I can't laugh & have a sense of humor about things then I might as well be dead..

BTW if you want to call my opinions ludicrous, please feel free to do so..LOL:D:D

Edited by serendipity1499

Cruz chic you say you are not saying you have so many days when in a previous post you said you had 300+ days? I am the poster mentioned and had you read my post I too have 300+ days with HAL so what's your point? Plus your last sentence shows your arrogance, "I'm a Mariner after all"! Good luck I'm done as I don't need to be ridiculed by you!

I was trying to provide the fact that I have experience with Hal. No one is trying to ridicule you. I'm sorry that you feel that way. Clearly, we have different opinions. I guess only opinions that agree with yours are welcomed. I don't feel the need to go into attack mode.

Edited by cruz chic

Unkind? :D:D How could my stating that something is laughable be considered unkind? To me it is laughable when someone accuses HAL of trying to cheat them &/or is playing games..

Yes you have seen this comment from me, because I truly do laugh at many of the posts here...If I can't laugh & have a sense of humor about things then I might as well be dead..

BTW if you want to call my opinions ludicrous, please feel free to do so..LOL:D:D

I would never call your opinions ludicrous. Your opinions are yours, and mine are mine. Can't we disagree or agree?

First to clarify, I'm not saying I have so many days. I was responding to the poster that said it pays to be a mariner. After one cruise you are a mariner so I'm sure there are millions of them. We've also seen many, many threads about lower star mariners getting better prices than higher star so it really doesn't pay to be a higher star. I'll be taking this info to Hal if my cruise goes down now so I can surely get a obc because I'm a mariner after all:D.

It is a mystery how HAL decides who gets the OBC after final and who doesn't.

As you say it sure doesn't seem to be 4 or 5 star Mariners!

I still think this has a lot to do with what you book and what you have paid.

A balcony at 2000 pp might get you something after final, but the same balcony at 1500 pp might not. Like the Upgrade Fairy, a mystery!

I don't know why I'm bothering with this because I know it will have no impact. However, here goes...

If one does not like online arguments or the potential for offending someone, re-read your comments before hitting "send." Most of us do not intend to offend... but we are careless with our words, and when doing so, it can easily offend someone or give a completely different impression. I'm not one of the grammar police, but punctuation helps clarify, and give you "voice."

I'm going to use the word "cheat." I think it is perfectly legitimate to feel "cheated" without calling someone else a "cheat." Our feelings are our own, and we are entitled to them. Identifying someone else as in a certain way is another matter. Many times I see verbiage I know was not meant to be harsh, but is interpreted that way.

Most of the time, we are kind and only want to offer an opinion or advice... if we act as if the person we are addressing was sitting in our living room sharing a cup of coffee, we would moderate our tone... the impact of our words are lessened because because our guest can see our expression and understand we didn't mean to offend. In effect, we are in each other's living rooms chatting... but because of the anonymity of the internet we feel free to adopt the "that's my opinion, if you don't like it, leave." We would rarely ever say that to a guest in our home would we?

I doubt it is our desire to "go someplace else" just because we are frustrated and don't know why something happened. We are here because we desire to cruise again... not take our ball and go home.

Take the time to state your opinion carefully, and with reason. (Just my humble opinion.) If you do that, you won't have to come back to us offended and explain what you meant in the first place.

I'm not addressing this at anyone in particular... it's just a comment in general for the good of the cause. Happy sailing to everyone... now resume the battle.

I totally get the intent of your post and cannot fathom why anyone would take offense at it. Yes, we've seen many threads about "new to HAL" people getting better pricing or deals.

I don't know why I'm bothering with this because I know it will have no impact. However, here goes...

If one does not like online arguments or the potential for offending someone, re-read your comments before hitting "send." Most of us do not intend to offend... but we are careless with our words, and when doing so, it can easily offend someone or give a completely different impression. I'm not one of the grammar police, but punctuation helps clarify, and give you "voice."

I'm going to use the word "cheat." I think it is perfectly legitimate to feel "cheated" without calling someone else a "cheat." Our feelings are our own, and we are entitled to them. Identifying someone else as in a certain way is another matter. Many times I see verbiage I know was not meant to be harsh, but is interpreted that way.

Most of the time, we are kind and only want to offer an opinion or advice... if we act as if the person we are addressing was sitting in our living room sharing a cup of coffee, we would moderate our tone... the impact of our words are lessened because because our guest can see our expression and understand we didn't mean to offend. In effect, we are in each other's living rooms chatting... but because of the anonymity of the internet we feel free to adopt the "that's my opinion, if you don't like it, leave." We would rarely ever say that to a guest in our home would we?

I doubt it is our desire to "go someplace else" just because we are frustrated and don't know why something happened. We are here because we desire to cruise again... not take our ball and go home.

Take the time to state your opinion carefully, and with reason. (Just my humble opinion.) If you do that, you won't have to come back to us offended and explain what you meant in the first place.

I'm not addressing this at anyone in particular... it's just a comment in general for the good of the cause. Happy sailing to everyone... now resume the battle.

You are very wise. I will make an attempt to read my emails before pressing send. I know my writing style can be interpreted as harsh. In real life, like I'm a nice person who weighs her words carefully.

The only (free) upgrade we got with HAL was when we were very new to the line, I think we had had one previous cruise - so just one star. We did get what they called an "upgrade" when we booked a guarantee last year, but it was really the same cabin, just up a couple of floors. We won't do that again!:eek:

Many of us remember the biblical story about the workers in the vineyard who were all paid the same, even though some had worked all day and others only part of the day. Those who had worked all day were "not feeling very warm and fuzzy."

By and large, we are free to contract as we wish, but are bound to fulfill our contracts. Some of us are better at choosing our contracts than others. Those of us who aren't, can, if we wish, resent either those were better at contracting or those with whom they and we contracted, or both, but that is unproductive at best and it is far better to learn something about cruise pricing from the experience.

If you do and you continue to cruise, you may come out ahead before too long.

From a Biblical perspective, that it very well said.

Last post on this thread - I had no idea it would run the route it has, but again thanks for all your invaluable input. linda&Vern to answer your question - went from guarantee balcony in a B category to a confirmed B category cabin on the same floor in the same area.

I am done with stressing over this - it is time to just go and have a great vacation. I approached HAL and they said work with your TA. So there it is it will get better or not. We love to travel - we travel to our bucket lists - and we always have a great time creating great memories. We will on this trip as well - and future travels are open to lots of choices in how we do that. I have decided that going on this one with a bad attitude will just get in the way - so I am done with the situation. I appreciate all of your opinions. Thank you for the time and energy.

I am curious. Our first HAL cruise is next month. We booked our trip in February during their President's Day Sale. Since the final full payment date, our cabin class has dropped over 25%. I realize that cruises need to sell their cabins - I totally get that - but I am shocked over such a significant price reduction. I also recognize that one has to be comfortable with the pricing that they commit to, but I am not feeling very warm and fuzzy right now.

So I am curious how the regular repeating HAL customers come to terms in these situations? And if these situations are common, how HAL has such loyal customers? Maybe once I actually experience the cruise it will become clear.

We try to book our cruises when we are happy with the price posted. We have had a few price drops, but they were about 5 months before sailing. We have never received any 'upsells'.

And yet we are happy to book another cruise.:o

Hope that you will understand why we do this after you experience your first HAL cruise.

We try to book our cruises when we are happy with the price posted. We have had a few price drops, but they were about 5 months before sailing. We have never received any 'upsells'.

And yet we are happy to book another cruise.:o

Hope that you will understand why we do this after you experience your first HAL cruise.

I see this posted often. That's great if you are happy with the price you paid. I'm guessing no one should ever say a word if they are not:rolleyes:. Why even take the price drops since you are so delighted with the price? I have tight deadlines at work and most time I have to take whatever because it fits into my timeline. I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing. I'm sure many other folks are in that position. I really wish posters would understand that not everyone who posts on here is retired. To me posts like this (you are not the only one) are sort of a slam that everyone should be delighted with whatever gets served up. I just wish HAL would give a better price to people that commit earlier. Can any cruise line afford to make enemies?

Edited by cruz chic

I don't think any cruiseline really cares if they make enemies. I am very serious about this. They can't please everyone. We may have gotten HAL to make some concessions about the wine policy....but pricing....not going to happen. They already thought we were "cheap", because we wanted to bring our own wine on. I am sure that's what their opinion would be of this conversation. I am not writing to start something....that is just my opinion.

I don't think any cruiseline really cares if they make enemies. I am very serious about this. They can't please everyone. We may have gotten HAL to make some concessions about the wine policy....but pricing....not going to happen. They already thought we were "cheap", because we wanted to bring our own wine on. I am sure that's what their opinion would be of this conversation. I am not writing to start something....that is just my opinion.

Agree, they can't please everyone. I truly believe that they are hurting from their pricing strategy. In my mind that is why they keep bringing the explore 4 in is to convince people to book early because their prices aren't doing that. If you are a big drinker I can see that being a draw. I rarely have any drinks before dinner. I usually have wine at dinner then maybe a couple drinks after. It doesn't do a thing for me really. Of course Hal will do what Hal will do. Totally their decision. I'm willing to book with Princess because they do seem to value my business even though I prefer HAL. They may not care if they lose my business but they may get tired of a lot of people booking after final because they know HAL's game well and they are able to do that for whatever reason.

I see this posted often. That's great if you are happy with the price you paid. I'm guessing no one should ever say a word if they are not:rolleyes:. Why even take the price drops since you are so delighted with the price? I have tight deadlines at work and most time I have to take whatever because it fits into my timeline. I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing. I'm sure many other folks are in that position. I really wish posters would understand that not everyone who posts on here is retired. To me posts like this (you are not the only one) are sort of a slam that everyone should be delighted with whatever gets served up. I just wish HAL would give a better price to people that commit earlier. Can any cruise line afford to make enemies?

Cruz Chic, I agree with you. I too plan well in advance thanks to juggling both of our work schedules. If HAL gave a good incentive (free internet or drink package) then I would not get too concerned about dropping prices. We have a long time to go, if ever, before we can book last minute deals.

On our next cruise new bookings, post final payment, get a discount on excursions. That was never an option and I find that troubling as well.

This year I booked 6 months out, last year I think it was 10 months out. The price of our cabin just went up $100 today. I'm guessing the price might drop after the Explore4 promo is done and then we will see if any price drops are to our advantage.

And I'm sorry if you thought I meant everyone should be happy with crappy pricing. I just think that if the price makes one upset, one shouldn't bother booking that cruise. I don't think it's worth the emotional energy as there are lots of other ways to enjoy a vacation that might not cost as much.

Those of us who can book early, would love to see a pricing strategy that slowly raised prices as the cruise date got closer. And with a guarantee that there would be no price drops. However, there are also no guarantees for the cruiselines that they will be able to sell out every cruise, so voila, prices drop.

I will say that I try to get the lowest price possible. Sometimes it means booking a cabin, then moving up to a higher category guarantee, then to another category.... I definitely watch prices, but am not upset if they don't drop.

I've tried comparing pricing on other cruiselines, but I think because we just book a cookie cutter, Caribbean cruise HAL seems to give us the best price. Maybe someday we'll book with a different line. I'll never say never....