Footwear--women and men

lovetotraveltx

Thank you, Capt Ricky for the Xtra Tuffs mention. What else is everyone wearing in SE Alaska? Brand rain gear, jackets, fleece, etc?

I'm not a brand name person. What's on the label isn't what matters. If it fits and I like it, I wear it. My rain jacket is waterproof and has a hood. The fleece I wear in Alaska is a cheap Alaska souvenir. I also take a hoodie sweatshirt from my kids' robotics team because it's really warm and comfortable. Most of my shoes are cheap from Payless. I do have a good pair of waterproof trail shoes, but I couldn't tell you the brand, only that I bought them at Cabela's.

I'm not a brand name person. What's on the label isn't what matters. If it fits and I like it, I wear it. My rain jacket is waterproof and has a hood. The fleece I wear in Alaska is a cheap Alaska souvenir. I also take a hoodie sweatshirt from my kids' robotics team because it's really warm and comfortable. Most of my shoes are cheap from Payless. I do have a good pair of waterproof trail shoes, but I couldn't tell you the brand, only that I bought them at Cabela's.

I'm not talking about a Coach handbag.... I asked because I wanted to know what Alaskans have found to be the best clothes in a challenging environment. If I was label conscious, I'd order everything from The North Face and be done with it. :)

We are planning a very active cruise excursion wise and DO NOT want to get caught cold or wet. Plus, being from Florida we have absolutely ZERO cold weather clothing on hand. The xtratuff suggestion was interesting because they were waterproof, slip proof shoes very moderately priced. Thought there might be something similar on the clothing side. Otherwise I'm stuck trying to find an LL Bean fleece 1/2 zip under $50.00.

I'm not talking about a Coach handbag.... I asked because I wanted to know what Alaskans have found to be the best clothes in a challenging environment. If I was label conscious, I'd order everything from The North Face and be done with it. :)

We are planning a very active cruise excursion wise and DO NOT want to get caught cold or wet. Plus, being from Florida we have absolutely ZERO cold weather clothing on hand. The xtratuff suggestion was interesting because they were waterproof, slip proof shoes very moderately priced. Thought there might be something similar on the clothing side. Otherwise I'm stuck trying to find an LL Bean fleece 1/2 zip under $50.00.

The point I was trying to get across is that brand doesn't matter and you don't have to spend a fortune on LL Bean or North Face. I don't own anything from either one. Find a fleece that fits and is comfortable. Find a waterproof rain jacket. Find some comfortable walking shoes or sneakers and spray them with waterproofing spray if it makes you happy. (I don't bother.) Xtratuf might be good for someone who lives in Alaska, but they are total overkill for an Alaskan cruise. Most people on Alaskan cruises are just dressed in normal clothes. Many end up buying fleece or jackets with Alaska logos in their first port. No need to go overboard (excuse the pun) on clothing for an Alaskan cruise.

We live in a really hot place too. I wear a lot of fleece though as that's about all I need in "winter". I just bought a good lightweight rain jacket at Costco. Going to bring my old navy $10 half zip lite fleece and walmart fleece hoodie and sale long-sleeved active shirts I got on sale end of season at target and layer underneath. Will thrown in hat and gloves.

and i thought i was the only fashion conscious person here .....

wet wood boardwalks (and we have them) detest hard rubber vibram type soles. there would not have been a reason to create local terms such as "snot log" or "zip board".

are you really going hiking? then you don't need hiking boots.

are you going wading in 12" of water? then you don't need xtra-tuffs. and everyone looks at you in your new boots and their arch support is negative.

wear your walkabouts from home. i smile at the 'must waterproof shoes' threads. my mom told me not to stand in puddles.

i have two pair of shoes made by Keene's. one pair you'll see me wear 340 days of the year and one nice pair you'll see me wear to your funeral. or maybe not.

my xtra-tuffs are reserved for beaching/launching my small boat or mixing bunny poo into my raspberry beds.

i know i'm going to go deaf from all of the bubbles bursting but ...

wait for it ....

miracle fabrics (gortex) do not work in high humidity environments. you can't push water uphill. the humidity inside your coat has to be greater than the outside humidity for it to transpire. everyone i know has a gortex jacket ... hanging in their closet.

but if you've already bought your miracle fabric clothes just for alaska, you do look 30 years younger and 20 pounds lighter.

i read the only reason mario batali wears croks is he's too fat to see how ugly they are. just something i read.

Edited by bottom-dragger
i'm a bad person

I have been saying exactly what Sherry has said, for so long now. I can understand some people's need to be fashionable and wear only the best. That's great if you will use the clothing for several years to come.

being from a warm weather climate, why spend a lot for something you will put in the closet, after your trip, and it will remain there until you decide to cruise to Alaska again.

Ever hear of this place called Walmart. They have great jackets for a modest price. So you don't have the best names, but it will do just as well, maybe better. This is some of the best advice you will get.

Cheers

Len

I am guessing their challenging environment is not during the summer months in cruise ports.

Honestly, I have cruise Alaska at least 9x, maybe more and wear New Balance tennis shoes that are not water proof. I wear them at home in the rain with out a problem and have worn them in Alaska in rain with out a problem.

It really is not worth the extra stress. Whatever you bring, just make sure it is comfortable and wearing them at home for several weeks to make sure you don't get blisters.

Thanks everyone for being the voice of reason.....I know, I know you are all right. I do not shop for Caribbean cruises, (much), because I have a closet full of tropical wear, flip flops, bathing suites, shorts, etc.

But outside a single pair of long jeans, I have zero cold weather gear. And 50 degrees is very, very cold to me. :)

Good to know about 'snot logs' and vibram hard soled shoes... explains why my Teva watershoes slip on the floor of the Breeze Lido buffet.

Hubby said check the thrift stores.... zero cold weather stuff in Florida thrift stores outside of X-mas sweaters.

Plus, we are cruising mid-May and I understand it is still quite cold with a 100% chance of rain at least once... probably more. I hate the idea of being stuck inside the ship because I'm cold.

Thanks everyone for being the voice of reason.....I know, I know you are all right. I do not shop for Caribbean cruises, (much), because I have a closet full of tropical wear, flip flops, bathing suites, shorts, etc.

But outside a single pair of long jeans, I have zero cold weather gear. And 50 degrees is very, very cold to me. :)

Good to know about 'snot logs' and vibram hard soled shoes... explains why my Teva watershoes slip on the floor of the Breeze Lido buffet.

Hubby said check the thrift stores.... zero cold weather stuff in Florida thrift stores outside of X-mas sweaters.

Plus, we are cruising mid-May and I understand it is still quite cold with a 100% chance of rain at least once... probably more. I hate the idea of being stuck inside the ship because I'm cold.

I am with you - I hate being cold. Alaska in summer is the same temperature as our winter so I know I will get use out of whatever clothes I take. I am also doing a lot of hiking so may not be the "typical" cruiser. I have heard, however, that the best place to be to see the glaciers and whales is out on deck. So if it means buying and taking warm clothes I am all for it, because that is where I will be.

Your shoes can get saturated walking through long grass in half and hour and I am not going to be held up from doing stuff the next day just because my shoes are saturated.

That'w why I need waterproof shoes (but not gumboots) and I will also be taking a second pair incase they need some drying time.

I do wear travel pants when I travel

http://www.hellyhansen.com.au/products/detail/51096/980/W-DAKOTA-HIKING-PANT

These may not be the most fashionable thing but I hike and they dry out in 1/2 an hour if it rains so you don't get cold (unlike Jeans), they are easy to wash, dry overnight, never wrinkle and never need ironing.

I hope everyone enjoys their particular way of travelling.

There is always Lands End or LL Bean catalogs.

Mid May to the end of May is one of the driest times to cruise in Alaska. I have sailed then several times with absolutely no rain. I always expect rain but you are sailing during one of the driest times (historically).

Even though I live in a hot place, you can find stores that carry rain gear/warm stuff. Go to the outlet stores, like columbia, also sports stores, whatever you have there. Also, clark, crock and new balance outlets. Look for sales in store and online during and after the holiday season and on cyber monday. Amazon and 6pm.com run great sales on footwear. Also, sam's, costco, etc. Just found reasonably priced rain jackets and waterproof low men's boots at costco for awesome prices.

There is always Lands End or LL Bean catalogs.

Mid May to the end of May is one of the driest times to cruise in Alaska. I have sailed then several times with absolutely no rain. I always expect rain but you are sailing during one of the driest times (historically).

Oh, I love hearing that. Fingers crossed. That was one of the factors that went into choosing our cruise in May. :)

Keep in mind that you only need to change the layer next to your skin every day. So if your layers are a long-sleeve T, sweatshirt/sweater, then jacket, you'll need to pack several Ts, but only 2-3 sweatshirts. No one will care or even notice that you wore that blue sweatshirt on monday AND thursday. Don't pack 7-8 bulky sweatshirts.

There will be great on-line sales in January. (If you need rain pants for an excursion, look at driducks.)

I live near Seattle so my trips to Alaska don't require special purchases of clothing or footwear. For shoes I take my sneakers and a pr of walking shoes. If I was cruising I'd take a pr of flat ballet slippers.

And don't forget to bring a small daypack for your layers (and camera, wallet, binoculars, etc)

Edited by mapleleaves

Your shoes can get saturated walking through long grass in half and hour and I am not going to be held up from doing stuff the next day just because my shoes are saturated.

trails and available hiking in SE are going to be hardened; boardwalks, gravel, the beach... our native materials don't stand up to traffic w/o becoming muckholes. quiery 'muskeg'.

if you are walking through grass you are in someone's yard.

long grass means they didn't mow their yard on that last dry day.

trails and available hiking in SE are going to be hardened; boardwalks, gravel, the beach... our native materials don't stand up to traffic w/o becoming muckholes. quiery 'muskeg'.

if you are walking through grass you are in someone's yard.

long grass means they didn't mow their yard on that last dry day.

Hi bottom-dragger

Good to know. We're also hiking in Central South Alaska and the Rockies too so maybe not the typical cruiser. :)

But rain from above can also soak through joggers if it is constant.

Edited by paddingtonbear

I like my Ariat H2Os for the ports and on board if it's wet. If it's dry while on board, just regular sneakers. DH & DS both have their regular hiking short boots that we'll waterproof before we go (and carry the can to redo if necessary). Our rain jackets are all hooded and long enough to cover the bum.

As far as name brands, some are more comfy than others (shoes) and some perform or last longer than others. Just because something looks the same, doesn't mean it is. My Ariats are nearly 10 years old but look and feel like new. I wear them here in the winters, especially when it's wet. If it's really cold and either dry or we have snow, I switch to my North Face down snow boots. They are so light weight, it's like they're not even on. I don't need the name brand high dollar fleece because I'm pretty hot natured, but DH gets the Patagonia, North Face or Columbia fleece.

Ebay! Not sure why I didn't think of that earlier. Have bids on a Helly Hanson waterproof packable jacket for hubby and a Columbia waterproof packable jacket for me. :)

Also watching all sorts of used fleece jackets from LL Bean, NorthFace, etc...

Much relieved. Shoes-shirts-long underwear I'll purchase new.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

Did you ever buy a great pair of waterproof low shoes like sneakers/tennis shoes that were very inexpensive?

If so, what brand and what type of store or online store?

Don't want to spend $90 as I don't really use waterproof or hiking boots/shoes home in TX.

Don't mind a reasonable expense, as if they are low and sneaker looking I can use them here in Fall and "winter".

Thank you!

We didn't do any strenuous hikes or anything in the ports so I was fine in my Nike Flex sneakers (excursions included helicopter tour where they gave us boots, a tour into the Yukon where sneakers were fine, kayaking where boots/bulky shoes were not recommended, and walking around Victoria where my sneakers were again fine). My husband wore his Nike Free Runs and was comfortable.

2173746-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Cheap-Nike-Free-5.0-V2-Black-White---1-520.jpg

On board I lived in my Tieks flats.

camel_folded_2.jpg

Hubs in his sneaks or Sperrys.

384162_fpx.tif?$filterlrg$&wid=370

http://www.teva.com/women-shoes/gannett-wp-mesh/1006505.html?dwvar_1006505_color=BNGC#icid=home_left_wbutton&start=53&cgid=women-view-all

Have you looked at the teva walking shoe? They have a few different styles. They have arch support, space for your toes and excellent shock resistant soles and inner linings and most of them are waterproof. They are around $90 but there are lots of specials and they last for years. Each to their own style wise : )

When we are away we tend to walk and walk and walk. Not everyone does so you have to think about what you need. But, once you buy a pair of "walking" shoes (that really fit your foot) you will never go back to joggers again. They are just so amazingly comfortable all day long, up hill and down dale and over rocky ground.

My husband and I frequently hike in wilderness areas around Yosemite and Lake Tahoe areas. I've had surgery on both feet with surgical pins, knee reconstruction, and 2 back surgeries. I had a hard time finding comfortable hiking shoes and tried several of top names like North Face and Columbia. Then I bought a pair of Merrell and my feet have been happy and dry ever since.

• 2 months later...
I tried on a few pairs of water proof merrell sneakers/tennis shoes. They were very uncomfortable and quite heavy.

Have any of you been OK with just waterproofing your sneakers/walking shoes. Is there a waterproofing that is preferred?

Thank you!

I don't know if you live near the outlet mall in Houston Tx- but I found the best Columbia clogs -lined- for $15.00- and am on my 3rd. winter with them- also on that trip -at the New Balance outlet- a pair of walking shoes- with some breathing room in them- I wear them spring, summer, fall-, working in the yard, walking trails, and running errands (they need to be replaced now.)- and I did not waterproof them- So- try your outlet malls- get comfortable shoes- that is the most important- Unless you plan to take huge muddy hikes- or jump in the mud puddles- you should be fine.

My raincoat- is an Eddie Bauer- but any nylon/cotton coat, with a hood will work- and after I wash it- I do spray it with waterproofing- You should be able to find spray cans in the hunting and fishing area of your Walmart or sporting goods store.