Upsell vs. Upgrade

sharkaymon

We had two cabins upgraded last June from 1A and 4A interiors to 8C balconies. It was Mom's 13th cruise and my Platinum cruise. We got an upgrade call on the way to the port--the port had just gotten the confirmations when we got there.

On the Carnival Splendor from NYC to San Juan in late October and there are currently 261 cabins available. Have a feeling some upgrade and/or upsell fairy calls will be made.

They tried giving them away to some Golds and Plats and that didn't work. I'd totally take that deal since it's a break week at school.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

We've never received a phone call over the past 9 cruises and we never contacted CCL. This upsell call came out of the blue and the upsell was FABULOUS. From OV on main deck to GS on Empress for a total of $525!

Nice upgrade! Especially since they were asking about $3200 for the cabin, when insides are being sold for $199 pp

On our last cruise on the Destiny, my parents had a highly desirable balcony room, which they had rock bottom pricing. They received an upsell to move to a lido balcony, for $20. They agreed to be closer to the fun and food.

I figured Carnival wanted to resell their original room for a couple hundred dollars more than they were getting with their original booking.

On our very first cruise in '91 on the Carnivale. When we booked, we debated whether we wanted the interior cabin with the bed, or the porthole cabin with the two bunks. We figured we wanted the porthole and we could make the sleeping arrangements work.

We checked in, dropped off our bags and were out exploring the ship when we were paged. We went to the purser's desk and they told us they were moving us to a different cabin. I started getting my back up because the porthole cabin was more expensive and I didn't want to get gyped out of what we had paid for.

But it turned out to be an upgrade. They moved us to the biggest cabin on the ship. It even had a separate sitting room. When it came for the lifeboat drill (back when you had to don your lifejacket and they were stamped with the cabin number), we tried not to strut around like we were bigwigs.

On the Carnival Splendor from NYC to San Juan in late October and there are currently 261 cabins available. Have a feeling some upgrade and/or upsell fairy calls will be made.

Out of curiosity, how do you know the number of cabins available?

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

On our very first cruise in '91 on the Carnivale. When we booked, we debated whether we wanted the interior cabin with the bed, or the porthole cabin with the two bunks. We figured we wanted the porthole and we could make the sleeping arrangements work.

We checked in, dropped off our bags and were out exploring the ship when we were paged. We went to the purser's desk and they told us they were moving us to a different cabin. I started getting my back up because the porthole cabin was more expensive and I didn't want to get gyped out of what we had paid for.

But it turned out to be an upgrade. They moved us to the biggest cabin on the ship. It even had a separate sitting room. When it came for the lifeboat drill (back when you had to don your lifejacket and they were stamped with the cabin number), we tried not to strut around like we were bigwigs.

Awesome experience... :D

Have you ever had a nice upgrade as opposed to a nice upsell? Did you ever discover at check in that you had been upgraded?

Yes and yes. I get upgraded within the category pretty much every time I cruise and sometimes get upgraded an entire category or two even. They usually let you know ahead of sailing of an upgrade but I once found out at check-in that I got upgraded to an oceanview from an interior. Actually the move was communicated via email the day before but I never checked it so I didn't know. A lot of the time it is done last minute due to operational needs or whatever but it always has resulted in a better cabin for me. I just got upgraded from inside to cove balcony for the breeze in a few weeks due to a price drop past final payment date although it is on a lower deck than my original assignment. I'll take that trade off. I think they would rather upgrade people than give them obc because it seems a lot of people got the same deal I got recently. I have also been offered upsells in the past but never actually accepted one.

When prices drop, I've upgraded to a better category room. I've never had Carnival call me. I always call them or my TA if I'm using one.

Yeah, you absolutely have to call them or they won't give you the upgrade. That's how I got upgraded this time. You figure the price for balconies is often so much more than ov and interior, too many people book the cheap rooms and the balconies don't sell and this is a way to fill them. Kind like domestic first class on us legacy air carriers haha. They would rather upgrade you to a balcony in lieu of giving us $400 in obc due to a price drop and I'm fine with that.

Just got a very nice upgrade.

We were on the Conquest last week and two days before the cruise got a call from Carnival offering us free upgrade from ov to balcony.

First time in 25 or so cruises for this to happen.

AWESOME!!!! I'm sure smuggled wine always tastes better on a balcony than inside! ;) :D

Edited by Out to sea!

Our only upgrade was on our first cruise....the Mardi Gras....back in '92. We had booked a mid range cabin but a couple weeks before the cruise our TA called and said we had been upgraded. It was the Presidential Suite or something like that....2 connecting rooms (sitting room and bedroom) with a full bathroom. We didn't realize how lucky we were until we walked the ship and could see inside some of the cabins and were shocked at how tiny they were. Too bad it was only a 3 night cruise. It was also our only cruise where we were in heavy seas. The CD (who was also the entertainment) had to hang on to the curtains while trying to sing. My wife was pregnant at the time and I was experiencing a bad cold....the trip was memorable! :o

Naturally we figured it was a common practice to get upgraded like that and it would happen to us again and again. :cool: