HAL to offer free internet?

Sam.Seattle

Free internet doesn't have to be unlimited. They could give just a small package, even as little as an hour, and then people could pay for more if they need it.

You're on vacation. Being tied to your electronics 24/7 defeats the whole idea of "getting away." I travel with a laptop because I use it to sort the 6,539,218 pictures I take on a vacation. And I use it for email. But my idea of travel email is to contact people at home to say "We're fine, having a great time." I might add few details if I've caught the wifi at a good time. I check to see if there are any messages or problems at home. I can get by with very little time online. I get 8 free hours on Cunard and seldom use all of it--even on a TA, with all those sea days.

I do get it that people need to be in contact for business reasons or difficult situations at home. But even that shouldn't require 24/7 contact.

[quote name='3rdGenCunarder']
I do get it that people need to be in contact for business reasons or difficult situations at home. But even that shouldn't require 24/7 contact.[/QUOTE]

I agree. DH makes any necessary moves on his fantasy football team and I check the email inbox list to be sure there are no emergencies every 2 or 3 days. That's it for us while cruising - the phones and the tablet are locked in the safe 99.5 % of the time.

We even tell our grown son and a good friend, who together keep and eye on our house and feed our cat daily, if anything happens at home that we can't do anything about while on the cruise - don't tell us until we get home.:D

[quote name='ICUQT']Absolutely!!! I have been told by reliable sources that HAL in the near future will be offering completly free (yes I said free) internet service with the roll out of their new Star Mariner Program. In the new program instead of the top tier 5 star mariner benefits there will be two additional Star levels added to make it a 7 tier Mariner Program with varying addition benefits at the 6th and 7th star level. Once you achieve 2577 days or 101 cruises whichever comes first aboard HAL ships you obtain 7 Star status and free internet, free breakfast,lunch and dinner in the Pinnacle, Canalleto & Tamarind will no call ahead seating, a no charge tour of the ship with the Captain showing you the highlights of the ship. OK folks I better stop before I get in trouble...lol:D[/QUOTE]
This seems like a joke.