HAL to offer free internet?

Sam.Seattle

Absolutely!!! I have been told by reliable sources that HAL in the near future will be offering completly free (yes I said free) internet service with the roll out of their new Star Mariner Program. In the new program instead of the top tier 5 star mariner benefits there will be two additional Star levels added to make it a 7 tier Mariner Program with varying addition benefits at the 6th and 7th star level. Once you achieve 2577 days or 101 cruises whichever comes first aboard HAL ships you obtain 7 Star status and free internet, free breakfast,lunch and dinner in the Pinnacle, Canalleto & Tamarind will no call ahead seating, a no charge tour of the ship with the Captain showing you the highlights of the ship. OK folks I better stop before I get in trouble...lol:D

Really? I think your dreaming.

Please........ I am NOT being argumentative but am curious.

Were we to meet aboard a ship (and I would like that very much), how would you know I am five star let alone in a NS? The only time, so far as I know, anyone knows I am five star is at the Mariner's pre Brunch Reception. That is the place where Captain, Hotel Manager and CD make it known to all attending. It's the reason for the party.

Four Star List? What is that?

\

The four star list is a list the HAL employee held in her hand. She wanted to verify that I was a four star so I had to tell her which cabin I was in. This is the only time I have seen such a list. At that time I don't think the star level printed out on your boarding pass but I don't keep my boarding pass so I have no proof that was true.

As far as knowing how many times people have sailed with HAL I always sit at a large table in the MDR. Without a doubt, every table I sit at I get asked how many times I've sailed with HAL. In kind, I ask the same question. I avoid the lido like the plague so it's fair to say I eat quite a lot in the MDR. While I do not eat with every person on a ship I'm thinking I do eat with a fair amount of people that would give me a pretty good cross section.

I didn't say a single word about a NS, so I'm at a loss as to where that came from:confused:.

I often get confronted and people stop short on this board of calling me a liar but it gets a bit tiresome when my facts are always questioned. I know a lot of folks like to add to stories. I'm not one of them.

I know folks state that there are a lot of 4 or 5 star mariners on each cruise. Except for world or grand cruises, maybe even longer cruises in general, that is likely untrue. I few years ago, before the 5 star program I did a panama canal cruise. I saw the list of 4 star mariners and there was for sure less than 50. I eat in open dining at night, and eat most of my meals in the MDR when it's open. I run across very few folks that have a lot of days with HAL, never mind 4 star mariners. I know a lot of folks think that many people have this status, but on the cruises I go on (between a week and 20 days) it doesn't seem to be the case.

having been on several cruises, I can vouch for the 4* mariners. My cruises are longer though so that might account for it. But I have seen them on 20 days, 30 days, etc. and a lot as you see them wait for early boarding. The Prinsendam had a huge room last time for boarding. Since there are only 18 suites (or something like that number) that made the rest of the very many people 4* or above. Simple math.:D

Absolutely!!! I have been told by reliable sources that HAL in the near future will be offering completly free (yes I said free) internet service with the roll out of their new Star Mariner Program. In the new program instead of the top tier 5 star mariner benefits there will be two additional Star levels added to make it a 7 tier Mariner Program with varying addition benefits at the 6th and 7th star level. Once you achieve 2577 days or 101 cruises whichever comes first aboard HAL ships you obtain 7 Star status and free internet, free breakfast,lunch and dinner in the Pinnacle, Canalleto & Tamarind will no call ahead seating, a no charge tour of the ship with the Captain showing you the highlights of the ship. OK folks I better stop before I get in trouble...lol:D

Seriously? 2577 days? that's a benefit? many cruise lines do more much sooner that that. In fact my Oceania cruise is already doing prepaid gratuities. I missed out on the free internet but the prepaid gratuities will easily help offset the internet cost.

Personally if this is true, I don't find that an enticing offer.

I would far rather HAL got smart and went back to the EBS offers of years ago. Other cruise lines do it and are sold out. What will be will be, but I don't see this as 'perk' that will thrill many of us.

The four star list is a list the HAL employee held in her hand. She wanted to verify that I was a four star so I had to tell her which cabin I was in. This is the only time I have seen such a list. At that time I don't think the star level printed out on your boarding pass but I don't keep my boarding pass so I have no proof that was true.

As far as knowing how many times people have sailed with HAL I always sit at a large table in the MDR. Without a doubt, every table I sit at I get asked how many times I've sailed with HAL. In kind, I ask the same question. I avoid the lido like the plague so it's fair to say I eat quite a lot in the MDR. While I do not eat with every person on a ship I'm thinking I do eat with a fair amount of people that would give me a pretty good cross section.

I didn't say a single word about a NS, so I'm at a loss as to where that came from:confused:.

I often get confronted and people stop short on this board of calling me a liar but it gets a bit tiresome when my facts are always questioned. I know a lot of folks like to add to stories. I'm not one of them.

Going OT, I guess, but I have to say you are so right. What's with that?:confused: Is there some kind of contest on who has sailed HAL the most times or is it just for bragging rights? It's totally irrelevant to the social gathering. There's enough of it on here without having to discuss it with your meal. Some people seem to feel the need to mention over and over again how many times they have cruised. Anyway, another reason I like 2-tops.;)

I haven't had the same experiences. We recently took two cruises. The first was a 7-day cruise. There were VERY few 4-star Mariners and only one that was a 5-star. A few days after we disembarked that cruise we boarded a different ship for a 14-day cruise. There were over 150 5-star Mariners and around 230 4-star Mariners on that second cruise IIRC. These cruises were to the same region, the same time of year, the difference being the length of the cruise.

Our HAL cruise last year was over 30-days. Not surprisingly there were Mariner brunches on 3 different days to accommodate all of the Mariners. Each of them had a reception prior for the 4 & 5-star Mariners as well as those receiving their Bronze Medallions. I would be surprised if there were less than 150 at each of these receptions. So again, probably over 450 on that cruise with at least 4-stars. The ship wasn't anywhere near full so that was a sizable percentage of the passengers.

For North American cruises under 14-days (and the Panama Canal), I can see there not being many 4 & 5 star passengers on board. For longer, more interesting (in our opinion) destinations around the world, our experience has shown that the 4 & 5 star Mariners do make up a noticeable percentage of the passengers.

Another firmly in the 'no way' camp for expecting HAL to offer free Internet.

We've had the same experiences. When we do our early Alaskan cruises (usually in May) we find few 4 & 5 star mariners infact it seems we have many first time cruiser's on those 7 days. Complete opposite is going to Mexico on a 7 day cruise, there are many 4 & 5 star mariners on board.

I also agree that on longer cruises there is a heavy presents of mariners in general with a high make up of 4 & 5 star mariners.

The iPhone 6 was just announced along with an i-watch. The point is, technology is becoming such a big part of daily life that people are going to expect/demand decent internet service.

The cost and difficulties of providing internet at sea are starting to become moot. Guests will have an expectation of quality service and will not accept an inferior internet connection much longer.

Just a year or two ago, the big hotel chains were charging everyone for internet. Now, most are finding ways to upgrade service and even allow guests ways to avoid the charges (Elite with Marriott for example). The hotels have changed their business plans and the cruise lines will as well. They'll have to.

I'm curious as to why you are asking the question - has there been been some suggestion of it, from HAL? I certainly cannot see it happening. And I don't mind paying for what I use, just want reasonable service.

I agree...I waste a lot of minutes just logging in and connecting to sites.

having been on several cruises, I can vouch for the 4* mariners. My cruises are longer though so that might account for it. But I have seen them on 20 days, 30 days, etc. and a lot as you see them wait for early boarding. The Prinsendam had a huge room last time for boarding. Since there are only 18 suites (or something like that number) that made the rest of the very many people 4* or above. Simple math.:D

Seriously? 2577 days? that's a benefit? many cruise lines do more much sooner that that. In fact my Oceania cruise is already doing prepaid gratuities. I missed out on the free internet but the prepaid gratuities will easily help offset the internet cost.

Personally if this is true, I don't find that an enticing offer.

I would far rather HAL got smart and went back to the EBS offers of years ago. Other cruise lines do it and are sold out. What will be will be, but I don't see this as 'perk' that will thrill many of us.

Jacqui my post was an attempt at humor...none of it is true. But it raises a couple of good questions what is the number for highest cruise days onboard a HAL ship and what is the number most cruises sailed on HA. Sounds like a question for Copper.

bob

Why ado I seem to be the only poster here who believes this entire post was made in jest?;););):D:D:D

We've also been on cruises where there have been many 4 & 5 star Mariners, & they have had Mariner brunches on several days...Many of the Mariners on these cruises have been either wearing or receiving their medalions, however they normally have been longer than 14 days..

As far as HAL offering free internet, I am in the "When Pig's fly" group..[/SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Jacqui my post was an attempt at humor...none of it is true. But it raises a couple of good questions what is the number for highest cruise days onboard a HAL ship and what is the number most cruises sailed on HA. Sounds like a question for Copper.

bob

and it was funny, but sadly, I wouldn't be surprised to see HAL put this so far out of reach it is not worth talking about.

Heck, the website is mucked up, the EBS don't exist - so nothing would surprise me right now:p

You had me going there for a while. :D

(You were joking, right?) ;)

I don't see a ship being able to give unlimited free internet. The system would be overloaded. But free packages for Mariners would be a nice perk. I'd rather have that than a free photo of the ship or a discount on logo clothing.

Cunard is another line that gives past passengers free internet time. Diamond get 8 hours, platinum get 6, gold get 2. Not sure about silver.

[quote name='cruz chic']Do you really think HAL appeals to most younger cruisers? I'm not saying no younger cruisers like HAL but I think more would be inclined to look elsewhere. I get some free internet on princess. I generally buy a package on HAL. Free internet does not enter into my decision process between HAL and Princess.[/QUOTE]

Surely you jest? Younger cruisers on HAL! The line wants to attract younger cruisers because the younger adults spend more money on ships and increasing onboard revenue is important to the overall business plan. But we just do not see why any young couple or family would want to cruise on HAL. As frequent cruisers who have been on many lines (14 to date) we are often ask to help friends (and friends of friends) choose cruises. We never recommend HAL for anyone under 50...and think that's even too young for many HAL cruises.

Like you, we do not see free internet as the "deal maker" but we will admit it is just one more item that enters into our decision making. Most of our love of HAL is related to their itineraries and it is the primary reason we book the line. All things being equal (itinerary wise) we would choose Celebrity, Princess, Azamara, and sometimes even RCI or Carnival over HAL. And this is just sticking with mass market lines (some might put Azamara in a higher category). As to Carnival, we would now be very selective (only longer repo cruises). Carnival actually has a better Lido (quality. layout, and selection) then HAL and their entertainment is generally more enjoyable. And on a line like Carnival I can actually find folks awake after 10pm and the midnight adult comedy shows are fun (and packed).

Think about it. Can you imagine HAL doing a late night comedy show?

Hank

[quote name='serendipity1499'][SIZE="3"]Why ado I seem to be the only poster here who believes this entire post was made in jest?;););):[/SIZE]D:D:D

As far as HAL offering free internet, I am in the "When Pig's fly" group..[/[/SIZE]SIZE][/QUOTE]

You aren't the only one. The smiles in that post [B]should[/B] have been the give away. The poster also said "OK folks I better stop before I get in trouble...lol". I'm not sure why anyone would think it was a serious post:confused:. Edited by cruz chic

Viking cruise lines for its riverboats offer free internet--but no where near the passengers that there are on HAL. Plus--the ships sail slower and are near land all the time.

I just don't see it happening for many reasons and think how much SLOWER it would be if offered.

[quote name='Sam.Seattle']Just wondering if you think HAL will offer free internet? I have a couple of thoughts if they will or won't but was wondering the thoughts of folks here.[/QUOTE]

In answer to your question - Not no way, not no how. Never gonna happen.

So, now that you've heard from many of us, what are your "couple of thoughts"?

Princess free Internet benefits kick in beginning with cruise number six. Each passenger gets a generous number of free minutes depending on the length of the cruise.
As someone mentioned Viking has free Internet and the wireless connection was top notch.
Oceania just announced rollout of free Internet beginning in 2015 for higher level cabins, concierge level verandas and higher. The email said 55 percent of passengers will qualify on Marina and Riveria and 50 percent will qualify on the R ships. They also have Internet benefits built into their loyalty program after a certain number of credits.

I'd be happy if Holland America invested in upgrading their systems. Yes I know all ocean liners can have slow satellite but I have never experienced such horrible connections as we had recently on Prinsendam. The wireless basically did not work at all, the librarian was very apologetic and said new wireless systems had been promised for a long time.
Mariner benefits are few and far between before the 200 day milestone. I doubt many younger or middle aged cruises will ever reach that level as there are too many choices out there.

I think unlimited free internet is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

On our last cruise - 6 days out of Baltimore on RCCL - for the first 5 3/4 days folks talked to one another - really talked - looking one another in the eye.

The moment we were within free access from shore - out came the cells and tablets and groups that minutes before were actively interacting were totally fixed on those devices. They stayed that way for the rest of the evening. I understanding wanting to check to see if there are any "emergency type" messages from family but it seems the rest could wait.

To me ... it seemed sad that silent focus on typed words on a screen took precedence over what had been such a lively, joy filled room. :(

Just sayin' ...............