HAL to offer free internet?

Sam.Seattle

Just wondering if you think HAL will offer free internet? I have a couple of thoughts if they will or won't but was wondering the thoughts of folks here.

I don't see how they could give up the revenue stream unless they charged more for the overall cruise.

Just wondering if you think HAL will offer free internet? I have a couple of thoughts if they will or won't but was wondering the thoughts of folks here.

Based on the general trend to charge for more and more I don't see this happening any time soon.

For whatever reason, HAL has seen fit to be very stingy with free (or reduced cost) for onboard internet. When we cruise on RCI we get plenty of free time, on Celebrity we get several hundred minutes of free time (we are Elite Plus) and on Princess we recently were given 1,000 min of free time (we are Elite). But on HAL (we are 4 Star) we get zip, nada, nothing.... We do not think that HAL has any idea how many younger cruisers will look elsewhere for just this simple reason. On lines like Princess you can qualify for some free internet with relatively few cruises (it is the same with many other lines) with the free minutes increasing with your past passenger status.

Hank

Absolutely!!! I have been told by reliable sources that HAL in the near future will be offering completly free (yes I said free) internet service with the roll out of their new Star Mariner Program. In the new program instead of the top tier 5 star mariner benefits there will be two additional Star levels added to make it a 7 tier Mariner Program with varying addition benefits at the 6th and 7th star level. Once you achieve 2577 days or 101 cruises whichever comes first aboard HAL ships you obtain 7 Star status and free internet, free breakfast,lunch and dinner in the Pinnacle, Canalleto & Tamarind will no call ahead seating, a no charge tour of the ship with the Captain showing you the highlights of the ship. OK folks I better stop before I get in trouble...lol:D

The hotel industry has, by and large, realized that its guests now expect free internet and is able to meet that demand due to relatively inexpensive land-based IP services. With significantly higher costs in providing internet on cruises, I believe that passengers have lower, more realistic expectations. Sure, we'd all like to have free or cheap internet, but we don't expect it and it's not a deal breaker.

I am firmly in the, "not a chance," camp.

First, satellite communication is expensive, and providing that for free distributes the cost among people whose use of an expensive amenity varies. Why should low bandwidth users be subsidizing the internet use of power users?

Second, charging for internet provides some cost recovery for the line. They have to have the satellite communication systems on board for the ship, so they may as well monetize it to the extent that they can.

In theory they could provide more enriched benefits at higher star levels (they certainly lag behind other lines in this area). But count the number of 4 and 5 star mariners on your next cruise. And that number is growing all the time. This isn't like the airlines or hotel programs where your elite level is based on your last year's activity. Once you have your HAL stars you have them for life, which means you have those benefits for life, too, and there's a cost consequence for those.

The only place where I could see them extending benefits is to Neptune and Pinnacle suites, where the passenger is already paying a premium, and where another few hundred dollars could be more readily rolled into the fare.

While I would love free internet - I am not sure how it would possibly work, or shall I say how the ship could handle it. Even with the current high prices, on most of my cruises the service is overloaded at times (meaning it is really slow as a result) because of the high demand. The ship's capacity load would have to increase or the frustrations would be, for me at least, in excess of paying for time. (And we think things are slow now!) On my last cruise (less than a year ago), the only truly satisfactory times for me were between about 11PM and 7:00 AM.

Just my thoughts/concerns.

I think it would be highly unlikely for HAL to give up a revenue stream; additionally, if it were included it would most likely be so overused by passengers who feel they should use it as much as possible as long as it is included, that there would be long waits and terribly slow service -unless much of the ship were converted to an internet café --- BAD IDEA.

For whatever reason, HAL has seen fit to be very stingy with free (or reduced cost) for onboard internet. When we cruise on RCI we get plenty of free time, on Celebrity we get several hundred minutes of free time (we are Elite Plus) and on Princess we recently were given 1,000 min of free time (we are Elite). But on HAL (we are 4 Star) we get zip, nada, nothing.... We do not think that HAL has any idea how many younger cruisers will look elsewhere for just this simple reason. On lines like Princess you can qualify for some free internet with relatively few cruises (it is the same with many other lines) with the free minutes increasing with your past passenger status.

Hank

Do you really think HAL appeals to most younger cruisers? I'm not saying no younger cruisers like HAL but I think more would be inclined to look elsewhere. I get some free internet on princess. I generally buy a package on HAL. Free internet does not enter into my decision process between HAL and Princess.

I am firmly in the, "not a chance," camp.

First, satellite communication is expensive, and providing that for free distributes the cost among people whose use of an expensive amenity varies. Why should low bandwidth users be subsidizing the internet use of power users?

Second, charging for internet provides some cost recovery for the line. They have to have the satellite communication systems on board for the ship, so they may as well monetize it to the extent that they can.

In theory they could provide more enriched benefits at higher star levels (they certainly lag behind other lines in this area). But count the number of 4 and 5 star mariners on your next cruise. And that number is growing all the time. This isn't like the airlines or hotel programs where your elite level is based on your last year's activity. Once you have your HAL stars you have them for life, which means you have those benefits for life, too, and there's a cost consequence for those.

The only place where I could see them extending benefits is to Neptune and Pinnacle suites, where the passenger is already paying a premium, and where another few hundred dollars could be more readily rolled into the fare.

I know folks state that there are a lot of 4 or 5 star mariners on each cruise. Except for world or grand cruises, maybe even longer cruises in general, that is likely untrue. I few years ago, before the 5 star program I did a panama canal cruise. I saw the list of 4 star mariners and there was for sure less than 50. I eat in open dining at night, and eat most of my meals in the MDR when it's open. I run across very few folks that have a lot of days with HAL, never mind 4 star mariners. I know a lot of folks think that many people have this status, but on the cruises I go on (between a week and 20 days) it doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by cruz chic

I know folks state that there are a lot of 4 or 5 star mariners on each cruise. Except for world or grand cruises, maybe even longer cruises in general, that is likely untrue. I few years ago, before the 5 star program I did a panama canal cruise. I saw the list of 4 star mariners and there was for sure less than 50. I eat in open dining at night, and eat most of my meals in the MDR when it's open. I run across very few folks that have a lot of days with HAL, never mind 4 star mariners. I know a lot of folks think that many people have this status, but on the cruises I go on (between a week and 20 days) it doesn't seem to be the case.

Please........ I am NOT being argumentative but am curious.

Were we to meet aboard a ship (and I would like that very much), how would you know I am five star let alone in a NS? The only time, so far as I know, anyone knows I am five star is at the Mariner's pre Brunch Reception. That is the place where Captain, Hotel Manager and CD make it known to all attending. It's the reason for the party.

Four Star List? What is that?

\

I would like to see them offer free internet to those of us who book far in advance. This way we wouldn't feel so bad when the cabin prices drop after final payment date.

Like :).

Me, too. :)

I like this idea.

Absolutely!!! I have been told by reliable sources that HAL in the near future will be offering completly free (yes I said free) internet service with the roll out of their new Star Mariner Program. In the new program instead of the top tier 5 star mariner benefits there will be two additional Star levels added to make it a 7 tier Mariner Program with varying addition benefits at the 6th and 7th star level. Once you achieve 2577 days or 101 cruises whichever comes first aboard HAL ships you obtain 7 Star status and free internet, free breakfast,lunch and dinner in the Pinnacle, Canalleto & Tamarind will no call ahead seating, a no charge tour of the ship with the Captain showing you the highlights of the ship. OK folks I better stop before I get in trouble...lol:D

I wonder how many people now have 100 cruises on HAL.

Edited by Jade13

I haven't had the same experiences. We recently took two cruises. The first was a 7-day cruise. There were VERY few 4-star Mariners and only one that was a 5-star. A few days after we disembarked that cruise we boarded a different ship for a 14-day cruise. There were over 150 5-star Mariners and around 230 4-star Mariners on that second cruise IIRC. These cruises were to the same region, the same time of year, the difference being the length of the cruise.

Our HAL cruise last year was over 30-days. Not surprisingly there were Mariner brunches on 3 different days to accommodate all of the Mariners. Each of them had a reception prior for the 4 & 5-star Mariners as well as those receiving their Bronze Medallions. I would be surprised if there were less than 150 at each of these receptions. So again, probably over 450 on that cruise with at least 4-stars. The ship wasn't anywhere near full so that was a sizable percentage of the passengers.

For North American cruises under 14-days (and the Panama Canal), I can see there not being many 4 & 5 star passengers on board. For longer, more interesting (in our opinion) destinations around the world, our experience has shown that the 4 & 5 star Mariners do make up a noticeable percentage of the passengers.

Another firmly in the 'no way' camp for expecting HAL to offer free Internet.

Edited by Mary Ellen

I would like to see them offer free internet to those of us who book far in advance. This way we wouldn't feel so bad when the cabin prices drop after final payment date.

Great idea! On a par with allowing singles to bring two bottles of wine onboard.