How'd you pick your cruise line?

vent1020

Obviously most people are on this NCL message board because you sail with or have an upcoming cruise with NCL. Just curious how everyone chose NCL.

Me, my DM paid for the family to go on our first cruise a few years ago on the Epic. I then did a quick 4 day cruise on Princess last Nov. and am going on the Dawn this Nov.

When I plan my next one, I may look around.

I'm just curious if most people on this board are die hard NCL travelers or do you flip flop/try other lines? And if you are a die hard, what has made you stick with NCL and have you tried other lines?

Edited by vent1020
messed up;

Started with NCL with a recommendation from a friend....the freestyle concept he described appealed to us. Loved it so much, we never changed. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I don't doubt that other lines are excellent also. However, we have loved each and every cruise we've taken with NCL. No commercial product has ever so completely satisfied us than that which NCL offers. Therefore.....we're here to stay. And the platinum bennies just make it that much nicer.

We picked an Epic itinerary based on ports we wanted and availability in the W. Med for our very first cruise. We were hooked--and NCL helped seal the deal with the future cruise credit program.

If we cruised tons more frequently we might check out other situations, but NCL is going where we want to go, and we're very comfortable with their style.

We only sail out of NYC, so it was a no brainer when NCL home ported Breakaway here last year. Very happy with our first cruise on her this summer, so we will try it again next year. Would like to try Gem, too.

NCL treated us very well and we liked that.

Our previous cruises were on Carnival Legend and Miracle. We liked Breakaway waaaaaaay better.

Happy Sailing!!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

We booked a four day Sky cruise as our first cruise as a relax and escape trip. We became hooked on the cruises and through talking with the staff knew they were willing to work with us regarding my little one's latex allergy.

Our second cruise on the Dawn the pre-cruise customer service and splash academy staff were amazing regarding little ones latex allergy and her attending the splash academy. Then the experience on board was beyond amazing that we continue to cruise Norwegian.

Our third cruise on the Breakaway little one suffered a head injury in the splash pad and our vacation was cut short, the level of care and concern we received again reiterated this cruise line is the right one for us.

I've researched other lines, I've reached out to their special needs departments, and other than Disney don't think we will ever move away from NCL.

I pretty much do three lines. After trying a few, I selected Crystal as my cruise line of choice and then after many years, I wanted to add another line into the mix so I could cruise more often. I tried Celebrity and liked it, so it got thrown into the mix. After I retired, I wanted to cruise more often and use my affliation with Harrah's to get discounts and tried NCL. Well, NCL has been in the mix for a couple of years. I'll be Elite on Celebrity on my next cruise with them and will be Platinum on NCL with my next cruise with them. All three cruise lines offer a different experience and I have never gone in thinking that they must measure up to each other; there are great things about all three. I stay positive and look for all the good things about each line and don't sweat the small stuff. So far I've never had a bad cruise on any line, some better than others, but never a bad one.

Easy! For our first cruise we lived an hour away from the Port of New Orleans. Two choices NCL or Carnival. NCL has always been our first choice and disappointed twice with Carnival.

Now while we love NCL this doesn't mean we haven't looked at other lines and have been thinking of something different for 2016.

I'm just curious if most people on this board are die hard NCL travelers or do you flip flop/try other lines? And if you are a die hard, what has made you stick with NCL and have you tried other lines?

I used to flip around more but we have stayed with NCL for a while now for two main reasons:

1. My kids love it and enjoy their activities which gives my wife and I ample vacation time.

2. They sail out of NYC year round which saves me from buying 4 round trip plane tickets.

The kids are a little older now and more self sufficient to find activities on other lines and we just booked a HAL cruise from FLL in January 2016. I will be looking around for new places to go and other experiences. I do enjoy an NCL cruise and am not by any means leaving forever but I'll be shopping around a little more after this next trip to Bermuda. Plus these days all lines from what I hear, the only concern is to keep cutting costs so I'll keep an open mind and see who really wants my business.:p

I pretty much do three lines. After trying a few, I selected Crystal as my cruise line of choice and then after many years, I wanted to add another line into the mix so I could cruise more often. I tried Celebrity and liked it, so it got thrown into the mix. After I retired, I wanted to cruise more often and use my affliation with Harrah's to get discounts and tried NCL. Well, NCL has been in the mix for a couple of years. I'll be Elite on Celebrity on my next cruise with them and will be Platinum on NCL with my next cruise with them. All three cruise lines offer a different experience and I have never gone in thinking that they must measure up to each other; there are great things about all three. I stay positive and look for all the good things about each line and don't sweat the small stuff. So far I've never had a bad cruise on any line, some better than others, but never a bad one.

That's well said, especially the last part. I was doing some research on "best cruise lines" and it really comes down to what you want out of a cruise? The food? Crystal. Family fun? Disney. Value? Holland or Carnival(I'm getting these off a website, so please don't bag on me ;) ) We also enjoyed the freestyle way of NCL like roger said.

We probably won't be doing another one for a while after this upcoming one(We both work average jobs and there are other vacations we want to take(That's mostly my wife talking. I'd do another one in a hearbeat)) but we may try another line, just to see how others compare.

2. They sail out of NYC year round which saves me from buying 4 round trip plane tickets.

I wish we lived closer to a port. Tickets alone to fly from Utah to New Orleans were almost two grand for the four of us. I imagine we would cruise more if we lived near a port.

I picked NCL primarily for the freestyle concept. My first cruise was on Carnival and even though it was just a 4 day cruise, I didn't love the assigned dining process. When looking for another cruise, I found out about NCL and loved the freestyle - no assigned time and, even better, no formal nights.

I have enjoyed each of my four cruises with NCL and have found no reason to switch lines. I don't doubt that the other lines are wonderful as well, but I haven't found a cruise where I can get the value I can get on NCL. Money isn't the only consideration but it is a fairly big one for me and I really do love the suite life. But, I'm open to trying another line if I find a better value for me, it just hasn't happened yet.

My first cruise ever was on Carnival but only cause that is what a singles organization booked me on back in 2007. I was immediately hooked on cruising

Have tried RCL and CCl but have settled on NCL to the point of getting married on Pearl 4 yrs ago. Lately it has been NCL cause of their solo programs especially the solo cabins

My first cruise ever was on Carnival but only cause that is what a singles organization booked me on back in 2007. I was immediately hooked on cruising

Have tried RCL and CCl but have settled on NCL to the point of getting married on Pearl 4 yrs ago. Lately it has been NCL cause of their solo programs especially the solo cabins

Sorry not trying to pry and definitely not making fun of this, but guess the first part in bold didn't work out. :p

I just started with NCL in 2006. Some of these Norwegians have decades in. :) I picked it because the freestyle concept appealed to me and I really liked the colorful look of the Jewel which was the first ship I sailed on. The itinerary back then was great too - it had all the ports I wanted to visit at that time. The price was great as well and I heard good things about the company....and not great things about another competitor. RCCL was always of interest but it was also always more expensive than NCL.

I have a bad habit of brand loyalty and I know I need to get out there and try other lines. I've just always had such a great time on NCL that I don't see the reason to fix what's not broken especially since I now get a ton of free add-ons every cruise and they are churning out ships faster than I can get on them.

I still want to try the Allure or Oasis at some point and I'd like to take my son on Disney just once - but again with the pricing for our family of 4. I just get more bang for my buck with NCL.

Started with NCL with a recommendation from a friend....the freestyle concept he described appealed to us. Loved it so much, we never changed. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I don't doubt that other lines are excellent also. However, we have loved each and every cruise we've taken with NCL. No commercial product has ever so completely satisfied us than that which NCL offers. Therefore.....we're here to stay. And the platinum bennies just make it that much nicer.

I should have read the thread first. I could have just put +1 on your post. :p

Wife won a free 7 day cruise on Royal C out of Canaveral, and we loved it. Next we visited family in Hawaii and took the POA and got to enjoy the islands and very friendly Second City performers, living a 3 hour bus ride from NYC helped cement NCL as are line of choice. We will probably cruise with Royal again only because of geography, we want to take the Hong Kong to Singapore and also the Dubai through the Suez and on to Israel and Istanbul cruises. Going platinum next cruise is an added reason to stay with NCL.

I picked NCL because one of the few, if not only cruise line that sails from NYC during the 1st week of December (my birthday is during that week). I priced and mapped out getting to RCCL and NCL ports, and NCL was by far the easiest and cheapest from The Bronx. That and their solo cabins doesn't cost me an arm and leg when planning couple of months or year in advance.

I don't have a favorite cruise line.

I choose cruises by selecting the ship. I favor the newest ships, which have the latest features and more variety. I'll also consider a recently refurbished ship.

Next, I choose an itinerary that is appealing. Visiting a port, that I have not been to before, is a big edge.

Finally I decide on price per day for equivalent cabins on comparable itineraries. If no significant difference, the port of call is the tie-breaker.

RCL, CCL and NCL are in a virtual dead heat for first place.

We first looked for an itinerary that we wanted and then researched the cruise line that came close to what we wanted. While researching NCL, it had exactly what we were looking for with the "Freestyle" format.

Our first was a 40th wedding anniversary cruise in the Caribbean on the Sun, found so many friendly folks (that we still keep in contact with) that helped make our cruise so memorable we knew it was the right choice.

Did 2 cruises last year B2B in Europe and had the time of our lives, met new friends again and still keep in touch with. Have 2 more booked next year on the west coast. Am I an NCL "lifer" ?........ probably as NCL provides us with what WE want out of a cruise. Would we ever try another line ? maybe, I don't like to say never, you never know what life brings to the dance.

I'm a loyal type of person, treat me right, give me what is advertised and I'll be a loyal customer. If not then I just move on to those that will, and for now NCL has exceeded our expectations so I don't see a change in the future for our cruising needs. But that's just us. ;)

cheers...the Ump...:D