GTY question. Allocated before final payment,

AlibearNS

Second time on Celebrity - first time booking a GTY.

We booked a 2C GTY on the Equinox, January sailing, after deciding we really didn't mind an obstructed view or where we were.

I logged in today and see we've been allocated 9101, a 1B. We only booked a couple of weeks ago and there's still a month to final payment, and this cabin is right up front which is a little scary.

I'm really surprised at being assigned so early whilst I still have time to pull out - I thought it would be after final payment. By then I'd have to "like it or lump it" as they say, and accept what I got.

My question is, is it usual to be assigned before FP and what are the chances of this cabin changing again? Is this likely to be it? As it's before FP, can I ask to go back into the 2C pool? I'd have to go through my agent.

What would you do? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I am not an expert as I have only done GTY once, but my understanding is that in almost all cases, you can ask to move to another cabin of that same category if one is available. Is that an option? If not, personally I would ask to be put back into the pool if that is possible. That is really far forward - which in some ways is good (more quiet, close to elevators) but there will be more motion than more mid-ship cabins, which matters to me.

Congratulations on snagging a nice bump up on your Guarantee (from a 2C to a 1B).

Rather than going back into the pool... Cause you could do a lot worse the second time, I would look to see what other 1Bs are available... And if you find one you like (don't forget to check the Cabin Spreadsheet Sticky) call up Celebrity and get them to do a swap for you.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

You are permitted to change cabins within categories and the following 1Bs are showing as available:

Portside-9135*,9137,9139*,9143*,9145,9149 and 9153

Starboard-9136,9138*,9176,9178*,9180,9182*,9184,9188

These are more toward the middle of the ship. We've been in similarly located cabins on lower and upper decks of sister ships and had no worries. The * means bed is by bath; unstarred are bed by veranda.

Check out an Equinox deckplan and then call your TA or Celeb to make the switch to the cabin of your choice.

Come back to let us know how it goes, thanks!

Thanks guys - you've all been so nice. And beyond helpful. I was a little worried about posting, half thought I'd be told off for complaining :eek: I do get the concept of a GTY, and if it was after Final Payment I'd put up with it, but I walk with a cane and suffer seasickness so if I can get out of having that cabin, I'd be very happy. I've emailed my travel agent, asking him to speak with Celebrity on my behalf. If I don't hear back I'll phone him and push the issue tomorrow. Either way, as soon as I hear anything back I shall let you know. Fingers crossed they will move us.

Thank you all so much - the problem was resolved amazingly quickly as per your instructions. My agent got back to me within ten minutes, saying he could do even better than the two I'd picked as possibles, and offered me midship 9230 which wasn't showing as available :D:D:D

Without Cruise Critic I'd still be in that forward cabin! I love this site :D

ps TMLAalum How do I find out whether the cabin is bed near bath or balcony? I'm intrigued :confused:

Look at the Deck Plan.

On the S-Class Ships, of which the Equinox is one the room layouts alternate. Rooms showing a Triangle or Quare sleep 3 or 4 Pax respectively... Those cabins therefore have the Bed by the Bath, with the Converible Sofa Bed (Square) or Pullman Berth (Triangle) closest to the Balcony.

Rooms either side of these rooms therefore will have their Bed By the Balcony

9230 on The Eqinox - shows a Triangle... So bed is near the bath.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thank you all so much - the problem was resolved amazingly quickly as per your instructions. My agent got back to me within ten minutes, saying he could do even better than the two I'd picked as possibles, and offered me midship 9230 which wasn't showing as available :D:D:D

Without Cruise Critic I'd still be in that forward cabin! I love this site :D

ps TMLAalum How do I find out whether the cabin is bed near bath or balcony? I'm intrigued :confused:

Alibear, I think 8250 is available as well. This cabin is on the central hump, close to the elevators, and has a good review in the S-class Cabin sticky.

Alibear, I think 8250 is available as well. This cabin is on the central hump, close to the elevators, and has a good review in the S-class Cabin sticky.

I TOTALLY agree with Eileen--8250 is PERFECT! We were in 8238 and it was the best location of any ship I've ever been on. You just call your TA and asked to be switched again--sometimes I switch 3-4 times!! Never a problem.

This cabin is right at the midship elevator making it super easy to get anywhere on the ship.

I think the agent's gone home for the day but I could email and see if it's still there in the morning and grab it if it is. I love the one we got, but the hump does look really good, especially so close to the elevators/stairs.

One question, how do you know it's available? The Celebrity site only shows me five on deck 9 when I select 1B (unless I'm doing something wrong)? I tried 2 other travel sites and they showed me more available, but still only deck 9, with no option to get to deck 8. Is there a special site that shows all the availability?

We've done half a dozen or so guarantees and have always been assigned a cabin before final payment (not just on Celebrity).

We got our cabin # for an upcoming cruise and changed it to another cabin in the same category with no problem--since we had a travel agent, we did it through her.

I think the agent's gone home for the day but I could email and see if it's still there in the morning and grab it if it is. I love the one we got, but the hump does look really good, especially so close to the elevators/stairs.

One question, how do you know it's available? The Celebrity site only shows me five on deck 9 when I select 1B (unless I'm doing something wrong)? I tried 2 other travel sites and they showed me more available, but still only deck 9, with no option to get to deck 8. Is there a special site that shows all the availability?

Yes, but we're not allowed to name it!

Aha, Google is my friend. I now see 8250 as available. I'm going to see if I get it but either way I'm happy. Thanks again everybody :)

Well, this morning I checked first thing and 8250 was not showing, then five minutes ago the agent emailed to say it's ours!

Yay! Thanks again for all your help :D:D:D I'm so excited!

Well, this morning I checked first thing and 8250 was not showing, then five minutes ago the agent emailed to say it's ours!

Yay! Thanks again for all your help :D:D:D I'm so excited!

Fabulous!! I'm so glad you were able to get 8250. I love hump cabins...you will be able to see everything...fully forward and fully aft...it's a great feeling.

Also, hump cabins are SO convenient!!

It's great that you have such a responsive travel agent.

Enjoy your cruise, and the anticipation leading up to it!!

Oh, by the way, welcome to BC. :)

Edited by elena7seas