Question Mt. Kilauea and Norwegian POA

dollarbill7663

Does Pride of America cruise past Mt. Kilauea or any active Lava flow? I have seen youtube video taken from Pride of America in the past of beautiful lava flows, but the route now shown looks like POA goes to Hilo the turns back north. Also thinks for any input into this cruise. It will be our 9th, but first on NCL.

Does Pride of America cruise past Mt. Kilauea or any active Lava flow? I have seen youtube video taken from Pride of America in the past of beautiful lava flows, but the route now shown looks like POA goes to Hilo the turns back north. Also thinks for any input into this cruise. It will be our 9th, but first on NCL.

You might Google "What's Going On With The Volcano - Hawaii Volcanoes" by the National Park Service for latest information about lava flow from Kilauea. As to the ship's route, it visits Hilo first and then Kailua-Kona before heading to Kauai. Whether you see any volcanic activity or not is really difficult to predict.

You might Google "What's Going On With The Volcano - Hawaii Volcanoes" by the National Park Service for latest information about lava flow from Kilauea. As to the ship's route, it visits Hilo first and then Kailua-Kona before heading to Kauai. Whether you see any volcanic activity or not is really difficult to predict.

NCL will sail by flowing lava but presently the lava is only flowing inward.

Just came home from our POA cruise last week. There is no lava flow that can be seen from the water - it is flowing inward. :( The lava flow changes from time to time so you should check to see what is happening. You can take a helicopter that fly's over the lava flow - (As long as the weather cooperates!)

We had a great time. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. I'm hoping to do a review when I can.

Port is the way to go if you have a balcony as the ship sails past the Napali coast of Kauaii which is beautiful and the port side is facing the coast! :D

Please clarify - - -

* different islands

Na Pali coast (west side) island of Kauai *

I understand that the POA does a full turn off the Na Pali coast so everyone gets a view.

Kilauea south coast of the Big Island (Hawaii) *

Does the POA sail along the south side of the Big Island to go from Hilo to Kona ?

If so the Starboard side would be side of preference - unless the POA

also does a full turn here so both sides of the ship have a view.

Presently Kilauea is flowing inland building elevation inland instead of additional acreage at sea.

Island building a work in progress - - -

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add info

Please clarify - - -

I understand that the POA does a full turn off the Na Pali coast so everyone gets a view.

Does the POA sail along the south side of the Big Island to go from Hilo to Kona ?

Kauai: The ship does turn off the Na Pali coast, but when we did the cruise in early December, the sun was setting and the views from our Starboard balcony were of the sunset. Still beautiful, but we were glad we went up to deck 13 starboard to see the earlier sail by.

Big Island: If there is no lava flowing into the sea, the ship does not go that way. The lava starting flowing during our week, but the captain did not change the cruise plan until the next week and we missed it. So, best to expect to not see it.

Edited by herdingdogmom

When they sailed last week they did not go south of the big island.......no lava flow at present but then you never know since it can change at any time. You can see the route they used if you look on the NCL website. As for the Na Pali coast they went very slowly and had someone describing the area while the port side was facing the area. Yes, they did turn the boat away from the coast and sailed past it with the starboard being able to see it but they did not go slow and you would be farther away.

When there is no active lava flow to the sea, the POA goes around the island to the north from Hilo to Kailua Kona.

Please clarify - - -

* different islands

Presently Kilauea is flowing inland building elevation inland instead of additional acreage at sea.

Island building a work in progress - - -

You definitely want to be port side as the sail by Napali coast is longer than the turn round portion.