105 days til Christmas - Christmas Cruise Q's

karen s

Sailing Explorer with my adult college age daughters for the first time over the holidays and just a couple of Christmas cruise questions from those that have already done it. What differences should we expect to see, i.e., MDR dining fare, ship activities, etc (other than décor) on Christmas and Christmas Eve.

We're in port on Christmas Day, so I'm sure there won't be a huge change as I am sure the majority of guests will be at the beach :p, but just curious what other special things they might have in store.

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Karen

There will be a special menu on Christmas Day.

Santa will bring gifts for the younger kids.

Carolling on Christmas Eve.

Plan a beach day or book an excursion for Christmas Day as most if not all stores will be closed. Maybe a few restaurants open.

Thanks to all for your replies! I'm sure it will be a special experience. We'll be in Labadee on Christmas Day, so the beach it is!!

Does anyone have past Christmas MDR menus?

Karen

We love Christmas cruises. We always enjoy the special Christmas-themed ice skating shows. They fill up fast so check to see which day and what time the one on your cruise will take place.

You might enjoy viewing one of the Christmas cruise slide show my wife made with the pictures she took and placed on her website at the link below.

Christmas 2012 (Includes Ice Skating Show) Mariner of the Seas

Happy cruising. It's a great way to Celebrate Christmas and have some quality family time!

was hoping to see a menu too!

We went to the MDR the first year we did a Christmas cruise but since then we make reservations at a specialty restaurant. Really not interested in having turkey in the Caribbean.

Someone did post the menu within the past week or so. Maybe someone will remember which thread it was on and post a link.

Sailing Explorer with my adult college age daughters for the first time over the holidays and just a couple of Christmas cruise questions from those that have already done it. What differences should we expect to see, i.e., MDR dining fare, ship activities, etc (other than décor) on Christmas and Christmas Eve.

We're in port on Christmas Day, so I'm sure there won't be a huge change as I am sure the majority of guests will be at the beach :p, but just curious what other special things they might have in store.

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Karen

We did a Christmas cruise several years ago and we were in port on Christmas Day. There were almost NO shops open, and very little to do, other than go to the nearby beach. We did not care, since for us, it was just time for us to stretch our legs off the ship for awhile and then back to the ship for enjoyable pool time.

But for those that wanted typical activities in port, it was a bummer.

We did a Christmas cruise several years ago and we were in port on Christmas Day. There were almost NO shops open, and very little to do, other than go to the nearby beach. We did not care, since for us, it was just time for us to stretch our legs off the ship for awhile and then back to the ship for enjoyable pool time.

But for those that wanted typical activities in port, it was a bummer.

Since it's Labadee, we're not looking for any special activities off the ship...just some snorkeling and beach time. I will just have to pass out candy canes to those who need to work on the holiday :p

A few of the Christmas decorations you can expect to see...

Navigator of the Seas

10998387485_d569b5a679_b.jpg

Navigator of the Seas

10998495456_799befef92_b.jpg

Serenade of the Seas (this was the only ship I have seen the Gingerbread Village. They may do it on others and I just have missed it.)

10998539094_5ed615d63e_b.jpg[/img]

Have a wonderful cruise...

Happy Holidays

A few of the Christmas decorations you can expect to see...

Navigator of the Seas

10998387485_d569b5a679_b.jpg

Navigator of the Seas

10998495456_799befef92_b.jpg

Serenade of the Seas (this was the only ship I have seen the Gingerbread Village. They may do it on others and I just have missed it.)

10998539094_5ed615d63e_b.jpg[/img]

Have a wonderful cruise...

Happy Holidays

Those are amazing photos - thanks so much. Really looking forward to our holidays at sea!!

Karen

We had the gingerbread decorations on the Rhapsody last Christmas. Sadly we couldnt eat them but they looked fab - they were in the Windjammer and on the deck near Guest Services. On Christmas Eve, in the Centrum, the production singers sang Christmas Carols with the crew and all the passengers were to given free song books and free champers and we joined in singing the carols. It was lovely.

Also, we had a RCL Santa on the port beach and the RCL photographer was there to take a photo, if you wished. It was a nice memento of Christmas Eve at port.

Edited by aussielozzie18

We were on the last 2 Explorer Christmas cruises.

Egg Nog both with and without the booze is served on Christmas morning.

Santa makes a stop at Studio B for the kids.

Midnight mass in the Palace Theater or Christmas carols in the Royal Promenade.

Ships Christmas Tree in front of the Cafe Promenade.

Traditional Christmas Dinner in the MDR.

And the Gingerbread village is in front of the Windjammer.

Have a great Holiday cruise, we will miss the Explorer as she goes to drydock and other homeports.

Those Christmas decorations are beautiful, and I'd love to sail while they're out.

However, I won't sail on an actual holiday again. Not only was the price inflated, but because it was a school holiday, the ship sailed at over capacity (meaning every bed was full PLUS many cabins held 3rd and 4th passengers). The ship felt more crowded than other cruises. This was when we still did traditional dining, and instead of a table in the main dining room, we were pushed out into a side room -- it felt like being at the kids' table.

No, I won't sail any holiday again -- the week before, the week after, yes. The actual holiday, no.

We were on the last 2 Explorer Christmas cruises.

Egg Nog both with and without the booze is served on Christmas morning.

Santa makes a stop at Studio B for the kids.

Midnight mass in the Palace Theater or Christmas carols in the Royal Promenade.

Ships Christmas Tree in front of the Cafe Promenade.

Traditional Christmas Dinner in the MDR.

And the Gingerbread village is in front of the Windjammer.

Have a great Holiday cruise, we will miss the Explorer as she goes to drydock and other homeports.

Happy to hear there is religious services. This is my first Christmas cruise and happy to hear there is some service.

Those Christmas decorations are beautiful, and I'd love to sail while they're out.

However, I won't sail on an actual holiday again. Not only was the price inflated, but because it was a school holiday, the ship sailed at over capacity (meaning every bed was full PLUS many cabins held 3rd and 4th passengers). The ship felt more crowded than other cruises. This was when we still did traditional dining, and instead of a table in the main dining room, we were pushed out into a side room -- it felt like being at the kids' table.

No, I won't sail any holiday again -- the week before, the week after, yes. The actual holiday, no.

You might want to give the week after Thanksgiving a try. We have sailed several times then. The decorations are out (that's when I captured the pictures I posted) and prices are usually great - found some great deals for the week. I think since most kids are back in school and since it is right after a holiday it affects the bookings, so the cruise line has pretty good discounts.

You might want to give the week after Thanksgiving a try. We have sailed several times then. The decorations are out (that's when I captured the pictures I posted) and prices are usually great - found some great deals for the week. I think since most kids are back in school and since it is right after a holiday it affects the bookings, so the cruise line has pretty good discounts.

The Christmas decorations were still there on a Jan 5 Jewel sailing last year.

Oh, yes. I'd be very open to that -- and while I'm not saying we didn't enjoy sailing on a holiday week, it wasn't ideal. And if I pay a premium price for a holiday week, I expect a premium experience -- not extra-large crowds and waiting for . . . well, everything.