ladies - what do you carry instead of a "purse"?

I just realized that I will really have no need of taking my purse with me, but obviously I need something to hold money/sunglasses/etc. when I am off the ship. Do you guys use those "fanny packs"? I always thought they looked a bit silly, but now I'm thinking they would be just the ticket. ??

And for walking around the ship - again - a purse is overkill - what do you use?

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Off ship I carry a carry-all bag and/or a fanny pack. On ship I have my room key in a id-card holder and neck-strap (like I wear at teh office)

Kathy

Last Cruise -- Maasdam - E. Carrib - 11/03

Next Cruise -- Volendam - Eastfarer - 12/04

What's the big deal about carrying a purse either on or off the boat? My last cruise, I brought a simple, small purse with me, and it was just as handy for carrying my essentials on vacation as it is for day to day in real life.

For excursions, I brought a back pack style bag to hold purchases, sunscreen, snacks, etc. but still liked having a purse to carry my little things in, rather then having them floating around in my bigger bag.

Katie

"I'm currently out of my mind, but please feel free to leave a message..."

Rhapsody of the Seas - May '03

Coming soon...Rhapsody of the Seas - May '04

Agree with some of the other posts. I just take a fun tropical tote bag for sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, etc., plus any purchases that must be made. icon_smile.gif On the ship when I'm laying out, I use it to carry my sunscreen, bottle of water and a book. Other times when I just have my camera and S&S card, I use a zippered cosmetic pouch. They have really cute ones now and no one would ever know. icon_smile.gif

pour.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to drink cheap wine.68.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Premier Royale 1985

CCL Holiday 09/89

CCL Tropicale 09/94

CCL Fantasy 02/98

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 06/01

CCL Fascination 08/02

CCL Imagination 01/03

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 07/03

Hi...I use a backpack as well for off the ship.

On the ship..well, usually if its the Caribbean, I am in my bathing suit with a cover up or shorts and top...all of my stuff has pocketsicon_smile.gif.

I was just on the Mercury sailing from San Francisco...it was MUCH COOLER and I was in long sleeves and knit slacks ALOT...I needed a lightweight jacket (soft cotton and it had pockets too icon_smile.gif). See a pattern there? LOL...

For evenings I always had a small purse..casual, informal and formalicon_smile.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

I use DH's pockets, that's my "purse" while off ship. LOL icon_cool.gif

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

I use a backpack when on land... had to buy a boring one so that the SO will take turns carrying it with me (he draws the line @ carrying things that are floral).

I also got a GREAT tote for around the pool. It is a little soft sided cooler with a net carry bag on top (K-mart! clearance).

The lanyards are great for your sign/sail card.

We need a Holiday...

my travel pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnemaynard

I use a fanny pack on ship. I don't strap around my waist though. I adjust the waist strap and it becomes a small purse(the strap goes on shoulder). I like it much better than a purse as I rarely carry a purse anyway.I also have used it in Disney/ Universal etc.. It is a large enough to carry sunscreen,camera, extra film, id...it even has a small attachment off side where you can put a small water bottle.

If I am going to beach I will have a large backpack otherwise just use the fanny pack.

No longer cruiseless...donations still accepted! ;-)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;2;20;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Last cruise

Sensation 2/17/03

I use a beach bag off the ship & a wallet on a string. It's more like a small, thin pouch, rather than an accordian style wallet. It holds my sign & sail card, a lipstick, a couple of $$ for gambling/tips & comb. I use it as a wallet in port & just carry that on board.

Trish

I found a neat (rather boring looking little money pouch at Wal-Mart) last summer before we went to Vegas to wear with pocket-less clothing.

I know, I know, Ladies....I'm probably committing a huge "fashion faux paux"; BUT I HATE purses...despise them! Can't stand to have one hanging from my shoulders or filling up my hands. Sooooo, I put this little boring pouch around my waist under an over shirt. I always wear untucked and loose shirts especially during the summer. The pouch is attached to a wide elastic strip. The cloth pouch is about the size of a regular bill-fold and will hold small sun glasses, small set of keys, folding money, change, etc. It has about 3 different zipper pockets in it to secure your items. Worked WONDERS for me. Loved it. You don't feel like you look like the "Hunch side of Notre Dame" while wearing it. I even wore it under my sparkly evening tops.

Although, while on ship during the day, I would probably be sure to wear something with pockets, use the lanyard,and use my husband as a pack-horse for the cameras. icon_biggrin.gif

=o) Judy (o=

I happily shoulder the backpack for my wife. She puts all her necessities in it, and it gives me a place to put a few things of my own. This way I know I won't be recruited to cart things around in my hands (which I hate). Mine is big enough for a light sweater, the camera, any purchases... Binoculars, maps, bus schedules, SPF,... they all fit just fine. She still likes to wear a fanny pack at times, but it often ends up in the backpack too. She has worn the backpack on occasion, but rarely.

Dan & Marlene

Us - NCL Norway 02/03

Her - NCL Southward 04/92

- Star Princess 05/95

- HAL Westerdam 09/96

Aaahhh, I thought those "fannie packs" were kind of out if you know what I mean, then I went on a cruise last year and couldn't go anywhere without one. Especially for excursions off the ship if a backpack is not required to hold towels or dry clothes. So, this year I found a cute light blue one with a mesh pocket on the side to hold the walkie talkie (or a cell phone). Otherwise on the ship I just cary around one of those tiny wallets that has a strap on it that hooks to the belt loops, inside beach totes or fits easily in DH's front pocket if I don't stuff it. I don't like the lanyards..reminds me of work too much.

Let's go on a cruise shall we...sailing 24 April 04 on EOS!!!

Couple of years ago I found a really handy utility style bag. It's about 9" tall, 7" wide and maybe 4" deep. Can be converted to wear around the waist or as a shoulder bag. It has a bunch of pockets and works well for off the ship (camera, sunscreen, sunglasses) as well as by the pool. It' hold a paperback book and a bottle of sunscreen. I've been looking for another one, but can't find one I like as much anywhere else. For underwater type excursions we bring waterproof disposable cameras and a water wallet for money and cruise cards.

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

If you are a C & A member they usually give you a fanny pack, thats all I use on a day of shopping while cruising(wouldn't be caught dead with one anywhere else!)

Vision of the Sea/ Alaska Northbound 9/3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;9;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

I never bring my purse on the cruise.. I use my backpack that goes over one shoulder..

Pride- 07/06/02

Jubilee- 02/22/03

Conquest- 10/19/03

4/15-- Holiday--Surprise cruise for my boyfriend!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;4;15;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

5/15-- M&M at Rawlings All American Grille

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;15;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

03/13/2005- Conquest with the kidscountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

baby21.gifbeerchug.gif

Iszu, is the bag you had similar to this one? Sidekick bag

I thought of looking on Magellan's site as soon as you said you hadn't been able to find another one. They have the BEST travel stuff!

Katie

Scarletine - Hmm. Not really, mine appears to be a little smaller and vertical, as opposed to horizontal.

Happysinglemom - I actually got it in Bradless, but they've gone out of business. I'll try to find a picture of something similar.

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

O.K. The closest thing I can find is on EBags. I'm sorry, I don't know how to put a link in here, but go to ebags.com and search for SKU-6380. Should end up at the Lewis and Clark Guide Bag.

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

You're right. That Lewis and Clark bag looks better than the one that I found. I always forget about eBags...

Anyways, that looks like it might be worth purchasing, and the price is right, too! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Katie

Norm Thompson has what they call a travel bag. It's about the size that Iszu mentioned and it has compartments for lots of things (easily holds wallet, traveler's checks, passport, paperback book, keys, sunscreen, a small bottle of water, cell phone, lip balm...). The strap on the bag converts from a belt around your waist to a shoulder bag to wearing it across your shoulder and hanging on the other hip. (Yes I look like my Aunt Tillie this way but, it's comfy)

The same company also sells what they call a sanity wallet. I use this in the travel bag when I'm out in the world and not home on the range. It holds all my necessary paperwork, cash and credit cards, a slim tube of lipstick and a slim cigarette case and lighter. This has a detachable strap and I carry it across my shoulder in the evening in lieu of the larger bag. Mine is black microfiber and looks fine with formal wear. This could also adjust to being worn around the waist.

http://www.normthompson.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2847&itemType=PRODUCT&sSearch=YES

Sorry about the above web address being so long, one of these days I'll learn how to do this right icon_eek.gif

Sandy

Grand, 2/8/04

Star, 8/30/03

Archived