Brisbane

Round Australia Nov/Dec. Will be docking in Brisbane for a day mid Dec. Have read lots of posts on other capital cities but have not come across anything about Brisbane. Am a loss at what to do there, apart from a visit to South Bank. Can't even have a rivercat ride as we dock at the Grain Terminal. Any suggestions from CC's would be appreciated.

If you haven't been to Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin territory), that's definitely worth a visit. Either by Ship's tour or grab a car or bus. It's a bit of a drive, but well worth it. Check their website, I think I remember seeing a bus pick up to it.

We did it last November on a Princess ship's tour and would have liked to spend longer at the Zoo instead of trekking off elsewhere.

Would go again, given the time,

Rosee

I wouldn't risk Aus zoo. Traffic can be a killer.

Wivenhoe Dam, Gold Coast hinterlands- wineries, Qld Museum & QPAC etc. Sthbank is lovely.

Boondall wetlands, shorncliffe is pretty, Mt Cootha has a great lookout and indigenous garden. Botanical gardens and river walk along QUT GP campus area.

Are you interested in anything in particular?

Edited by Cruise_me_Crazy

If you google Cultural Centre, Brisbane you will discover a wonderful cultural precinct with museums, art galleries, performing arts, etc. All this is walking distance to Southbank.

The Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) often has exhibitions which aren't shown elsewhere in Australia.

If you enjoy walking there are beautiful walks along the river, across the pedestrian bridge to the old Botanical Gardens.

If you google Cultural Centre, Brisbane you will discover a wonderful cultural precinct with museums, art galleries, performing arts, etc. All this is walking distance to Southbank.

The Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) often has exhibitions which aren't shown elsewhere in Australia.

If you enjoy walking there are beautiful walks along the river, across the pedestrian bridge to the old Botanical Gardens.

Wonderful advice! I would suggest a day at Southbank and then a stroll over to the Museum and GOMA. The museum is free but there is a section inside called the Science Centre which has an entrance fee. If you have children they will love it! You can catch a Rivercat from Southbank as well. It's a great way to see the city. There are bridges from Southbank that you can walk over to get into the city or the old botanical gardens and there is a free loop bus that goes around the city too. Link: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/buses/city-centre-free-loops

If you walk across the Victoria Bridge you'll end up at the top of the Queen Street Mall. (If you love shopping, this is the best place to head to).

If you want to swim, the large pool / lagoon at Southbank is free and has a lovely view of the city from the water. There is also a kiddies water playground where water spurts out of the ground. There are some great restaurants at Southbank also.

I hope that helps!

I believe Lone Pine Koala place is really great. I think you can catch the city cat ferry up there from Southbank. Google Lone Pine Brisbane and you will probably find out what you need to know.

We are on the same cruise and we are disembarking in Brisbane instead of Sydney to avoid the flight home.

There is a roll call for this cruise and some of the others may have some suggestions as to what they are doing in Brisbane.

Cheers,

Thanks again. Have been keeping up to date with the cruise roll call but there has nothing of note re Brisbane. Looks like we can fill our day quiet nicely and get a river cat as well. Glennys:)

Happy, if you check out the likes of scoop on, spreetz, why pay full price etc, they often have discount coupons for southbank. In particular the hiring of segways, kyacks, abseiling etc. if that stuff interests you then keep your eyes out for the discount vouchers!

:) I hope u enjoy Brizzy.

Happy, if you check out the likes of scoop on, spreetz, why pay full price etc, they often have discount coupons for southbank. In particular the hiring of segways, kyacks, abseiling etc. if that stuff interests you then keep your eyes out for the discount vouchers!

:) I hope u enjoy Brizzy.

Sorry but DH and I are those oldies who hog cruises...as much as I would love to have a go at your 3 suggestions I can see us both in a Brisbane hospital with fractured hips. But hey I did go parasailing in Bali, of all places, many years ago. I live on my memories. on.:cool:

Sorry but DH and I are those oldies who hog cruises...as much as I would love to have a go at your 3 suggestions I can see us both in a Brisbane hospital with fractured hips. But hey I did go parasailing in Bali, of all places, many years ago. I live on my memories. on.:cool:

LOL :D with humour like that, you will never be old! Segways are a lot of fun though! ;)

Given that you will have spent X days on a cruise ship before you get to Brisbane, you may not want to get on another boat on a port day but this is something a bit different.

We were in Brisbane not too long ago and had lunch on a paddle steamer that went up and down the river. They had a ragtime band playing (trombone, banjo etc) that moved around and between decks so everybody got to enjoy the music. It only went for a few hours but it was really enjoyable. Check them out here http://www.kookaburrariverqueens.com/

It leaves from the edge of the river so is very accessible. Not sure what day(s) it operates.

Cheers