Someone clear this up for me, Re: $250 future cruise credit

pokerpro5

I just called NCL today.

They denied that the $100 OBC you receive can be used against the $250 purchase of the future cruise credit itself.

They insisted over and over that this wasn't true.

Can anyone here verify that the $100 came off, despite not spending $100 onboard on things other than the DSC?

I just called NCL today.

They denied that the $100 OBC you receive can be used against the $250 purchase of the future cruise credit itself.

Can anyone here verify that the $100 came off, despite not spending $100 onboard on things other than the DSC?

In July 2013 and again in May 2014, the $250 showed as an expenditure and the very next line showed $100 credit. A number of CC members have told you how it works--quit over-analyzing this and just go for it. Besides, if it does not work out the way you want it, you can get a full refund of $150 within 30 days.

Edited by pizzalady1

it also is the downpayment for the entire cabin' date=' no matter how many people are in it. That is opposed to $250 downpayment for each person. [/size']

That is exactly what I did for my Epic cruise next year. We got in on the kids sail free and used my $250.00 coupon for the whole cabin (4 passengers). I can't imagine not getting one again.

In July 2013 and again in May 2014, the $250 showed as an expenditure and the very next line showed $100 credit. A number of CC members have told you how it works--quit over-analyzing this and just go for it. Besides, if it does not work out the way you want it, you can get a full refund of $150 within 30 days.

I've already taken the cruise, so I can't just "go for it".

I want to understand whether the promotional material on board was highly misleading, or it you really do have to spend $100 on board to get it back.

I don't care what it shows on the lines of your folio.

Simple question: Did you or did you not spend more than $100 onboard on those cruises, aside from the DSC and Future Cruise Credit?

I just called NCL today.

They can deny it until they're blue in the face. That's exactly what happens. You are charged $250 and you receive an immediate credit of $100. End of story.

I just called NCL today.

As often is the case you got an absolutely nonsensical incorrect answer from NCL customer service.

Simple question: Did you or did you not spend more than $100 onboard on those cruises, aside from the DSC and Future Cruise Credit?
But if the DSC was charged to the account, how will you know that the $100 OBC wasn't used to pay that? You need to find someone who not only bought nothing during their cruise (no drinks, no restaurants, no excursions, no nothing) and also asked for their DSC to be removed entirely. And then bought an FCR. For NCL's sake, I really hope they don't have any customers that fit that description, but if one of them answers you here, they will tell you that their final bill said:

• under "charges": Cruise Rewards Deposit 250.00
  • under "credits": Non-Refundable Credit 100.00
  • balance: 150.00

I know, you don't believe me. So book another cruise and try it for yourself.

I just called NCL today.

Fear not, most NCL reps don't know their elbow from their ankle. If they are not sure on an answer, they make one up. This rep is typical and of course completely wrong.

I want to understand whether the promotional material on board was highly misleading, or it you really do have to spend $100 on board to get it back.

On each of the two cruises where I purchased an FCC, I spent under $20 plus the FCC of $150.

Edited by pizzalady1

For those Canadians following this thread you do want to be aware that the FCC and related OBC are all charged to your onboard account in USD. When you go to book your cruise the FCC is credited in CDN dollars if you book from Canada or through a CDN TA. The $250 USD FCC is only worth $250 CDN. Just something to consider. The net cost of $150 even after factoring in exchange rates is still great if you know you will be on another NCL cruise within a couple of years.

<snip>

Simple answer: By buying the FCC on board you are spending more than $100 on your folio so your question is moot.

I suspect that one reason they refer to the $100 "discount" as "OBC" is because that is how it appears on the folio. The extra 'marketing' from referring to it as 'OBC' is a bonus.

For UK readers - if you book through UK you will get your FCC in GBP. Apparently it can only be used to book through UK in GBP.

Don't know if this was posted .After my cruise last May,I got a call from my PCC asking if I wanted to buy a FCC .He told me I can purchase one up to 30 days after my cruise for $150.

Yes it has been mentioned, it is a little bit different offer that they offer for 30 days after disembarking.

Several people have already answered:

When you purchase something onboard for $250, you've just "spent money".

So there is automatically something to apply the $100 credit towards.

You can keep poking the folks at NCL as much as you want.

We all already know that many of them don't have the right answers, and some of them sometimes seem just to "make up" an answer.

You've gotten many answers from those who HAVE actually purchased them, and seen "how" it shows up on the bill - including those who spent less than $100 on OTHER charges.

Why are you continuing to ask the identical question over and over, despite receiving the same answers over and over?

GeezerCouple

For those Canadians following this thread you do want to be aware that the FCC and related OBC are all charged to your onboard account in USD. When you go to book your cruise the FCC is credited in CDN dollars if you book from Canada or through a CDN TA. The $250 USD FCC is only worth $250 CDN. Just something to consider. The net cost of $150 even after factoring in exchange rates is still great if you know you will be on another NCL cruise within a couple of years.

I just wanted to add that it is possible to purchase the FCC in Canadian dollars to begin with. On the FCC form printed with your cruise documents there is an area at the very bottom that specifies the currency. If you check off Canadian that is what currency you should be charged in.

Also to note you can always ask a Canadian TA to quote you in American dollars and pay that way as well. When booking through Canada I usually ask for a quote in both currencies and pay in whichever works best for me at the time.

I do agree with you that even if you do lose a little on the exchange rate, the value of the FCC is still worth it.

Rochelle

Thanks for clearing things up for me. Think I'll pass on this item for awhile as we are all booked for our 2015 vacation so not sure if we will break down and do a second in the fall. The 2016 vacation slot is open just need to decide which line for S. A. trip.

Have a great day

FYI--They are good for 4 years from the date of purchase.

The thing is, the $250 is an onboard expense, therefore, the $100 comes off that like any other onboard expense....the DSC is not able to be paid with this or any other OBC that you may have gotten from NCL. So, if you prepaid your DSC and all you spent on the ship was the $250 for the FCC, it would show a charge of $250 and then the $100 in OBC that you recieved for buying it would be taken off making it a net money owed of $150. I hope that explains it for you. We do it every year.