Just Booked first cruise!!

sapphiregem

Well I just booked my first cruise for me and the kids!! Navigator out of Galveston in Aug of 15'. Took that larger panoramic ocean view room. RC had the buy one get one half off and 3rd person discount still applied. I know there arent many in this room category so I figured I should get it now as it might not drop at all before final payment.

Any tips for this ship??

Any tips on picking a drink package?

How do i get one of those cruise countdown trackers ya'll have in signature?

Thanks

Congratulations on booking your first cruise. The header on this page has a tab for the countdown clock, it is right in the center of the page.

For a drink package, realistically think about what types of drinks and how often you want them. There are many threads here that have the cost breakdown of the various drinks. If the cost of the drinks add up to more than the package, it is worth it to buy. If not, it will be more cost effective to pay by the drink. Think about how many port days you have, you may drink less on those days.

Well I just booked my first cruise for me and the kids!! Navigator out of Galveston in Aug of 15'. Took that larger panoramic ocean view room. RC had the buy one get one half off and 3rd person discount still applied. I know there arent many in this room category so I figured I should get it now as it might not drop at all before final payment.

Any tips for this ship??

Thanks

Congratulations on your first cruise vacation!

Countdown Clocks

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=434

Well I just booked my first cruise for me and the kids!! Navigator out of Galveston in Aug of 15'. Took that larger panoramic ocean view room.

Any tips for this ship??

Thanks

Congrats! Those larger panoramic ocean view rooms seem to have awesome views as we got to look inside a couple of them on our cabin crawl.

If you wish, here's a review of Navigator in May with a ton of photos of the ship

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040556

... and you can search for more photos and reviews using the "search" tool on this site.

Some tips:

• How are are your kids? Look into the Adventure Ocean programs for kids and teens
  • If you're going to visit one specialty restaurant during your trip pick Sabor.
  • Enjoy walking out to the front of the ship on the Helipad at least a couple of times during your cruise, and at least once while sailing into or out of port..
  • There will be a line-up each day for the Florider... book private 1 hour time for them, they'll learn quickly and be so appreciative of it.
  • Do not miss the ice skating show, absolutely worth while... and it's also fun to say that you've actually ice skated at sea so don't miss that opportunity as well during their public skating times.

Have an awesome time planning and have a great cruise! :D

Love the Navigator. Remember that one of the great things about cruising is that at dinner in the MDR you can order something new and if you don't like it, you can order something else. If you like the entree or appetizer or dessert, feel free to order two. Get to the ship early (we shoot for 11:30) and enjoy lunch in the Windjammer. I know some complain that it's crowded, and they enjoy lunch elsewhere on the ship, but it's been a tradition that we just can't stand breaking. We sit down and even if we aren't right against a window, we can see the dock or the ocean and for us, it's part of our first day on the cruise that we enjoy. After lunch check out your spot in the dining room, then go put your carry-on in your cabin, get your swimsuit on (from your carry-on) and hit the deck for your sail-away (and Drink of the Day), right after the muster drill. Stay overnight the night before the cruise in a hotel. It's the best decision ever to not try driving or flying in on the day the ship sails. Enjoy!

Congratulations on your first cruise, once you have your lunch, your room should be ready to drop off your carry ons, be sure and have bathing suit, cameras and anything you want with you in your carry on and go explore the ship. usually your checked luggage will be at your room starting around 3 PM.

Any tips for this ship??

Thanks

Congrats on booking your first cruise. You should locate and join the roll call for your sailing. Below is the link to all the Navigator upcoming cruises. Scroll down the list and find the exact date for your sailing. It's a great way to meet other folks on your sailing, and share information about different activities they may have planned, and find out who's doing what in the different ports. Lots of groups organize tours together with independent tour operators, which is a great way to save money over the cost of the ship's excursions.

Have a great time!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268

For the ice show, get the tickets on Day 1 at around 1:30 near Ben and Jerries. All 4 shows are the same so you only need to select one, but arrive around 20 minutes early and stay left in the photo shop area (right is for standby seating). Sit in the middle of either side, row 1 or 2 to interact with the skaters.

Mytime dining allows (and encourages) reservations. If you eat at the same time every night you can easily get the same waiters. If you like french fries, ask for the steak fries - screaming hot. The advantage of Mytime is taking as much or as little time as you like for dinner. You can eat with other folks or just your group.

Since this is your first cruise, read everything you can about cruising and Navigator on this board. In the dining room you can ask for substitutions if you wish, or as many desserts as you like. For example, my DW gets plain lettuce and carrots as a salad every night, and steak with no sauces.

Explore the ship - you won't see it all in a week. Don't try to do everything, just enjoy what you do.

One thing a bit strange about RCI is that when you reserve items like excursions, drink packages and extra-cost dining online you pay in advance. Other lines don't work this way. But it does reduce the bill at the end of the cruise. And if you have Mytime dining you also pay the gratuities in advance.

If the kids drink soda, the lowest cost soda package breaks even at about 3 a day (although soda is from a gun, not cans). You do not have to use the plastic travel mug but it does keep the soda colder than a glass. Navigator doesn't have the Coke Freestyle dispensers, but you can either go to any bar or the dispensers in the buffet.

Countdown clocks are available on this site - see header at top of this page.

On the front of deck 11 (Lido deck where pool and buffet are) is an overlook into the bridge.

Congrats! Those larger panoramic ocean view rooms seem to have awesome views as we got to look inside a couple of them on our cabin crawl.

If you wish, here's a review of Navigator in May with a ton of photos of the ship

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040556

... and you can search for more photos and reviews using the "search" tool on this site.

Some tips:

• How are are your kids? Look into the Adventure Ocean programs for kids and teens
  • If you're going to visit one specialty restaurant during your trip pick Sabor.
  • Enjoy walking out to the front of the ship on the Helipad at least a couple of times during your cruise, and at least once while sailing into or out of port..
  • There will be a line-up each day for the Florider... book private 1 hour time for them, they'll learn quickly and be so appreciative of it.
  • Do not miss the ice skating show, absolutely worth while... and it's also fun to say that you've actually ice skated at sea so don't miss that opportunity as well during their public skating times.

Have an awesome time planning and have a great cruise! :D

Thanks for the link!! Kids will be 12 and 10 (girl/boy). Whats the Florider?? Kids already said Ice Skating was a must to do and watch!!

Thanks for the tips, they are ALWAYS appreciated.

You will enjoy Navigator!

This link has the Compassess for Navigator, Also in my signature is a Navigator Review with photos and a link to all the AO program compasses for the kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2059490

Enjoy your cruise:)

Happy Days!

THANK YOU!! I was looking to find a way to see the kids stuff.

Thanks for the link!! Kids will be 12 and 10 (girl/boy). Whats the Florider?? Kids already said Ice Skating was a must to do and watch!!

Thanks for the tips, they are ALWAYS appreciated.

FlowRider is the surf simulator. Your kids will have a blast doing the boogie board, etc.

Someone mentioned the HeliPad. Just go outside on deck 4 and you can walk all the way around the ship. A great place for an evening stroll. Go to the Helipad at night if the weather is clear and you will see an amazing amount of stars!

Izumi and Sabor are great options for lunch with smaller upcharge than at dinner time.

Navigator is a great ship! Welcome to your new addiction....:eek:

You guys are awesome with the knowledge on here...I have a word doc with bullet points of every little tip going, so keep them coming!

When i reserved I took the early dining, haven't decided if I will change to my time yet...and i was looking at drink packages, also have to search more on those to find out pros and cons and per day costs, but i know its on here so i will look.

Thank you all!!

Any tips for this ship??

Thanks

Great for you and the kids.

August is gonna be warm. The "Tarheels" implies you will have no trouble with warm weather so prepare accordingly.

We did Cozumel with a young teen a few years ago and she wanted to see some ruins. We chose a part ruins and part beach tour. (San Gervasio Ruins & Beach Break ) No overwhelming pyramids or the like but a very nice sampler of smaller ruins and Mayan culture. A great tour guide made it very interesting and we then spent a few hours at a beach resort on the very calm side of the island, had a few drinks, snacks and dips in the water before the bus trip back to the ship all with time to spare before dinner.

Depending on the ages of the kids and their interests this may be an option to look into.

Drink packages depend on how much you plan on drinking things other than those included at no charge.

I know you and yours will have a great time.

The crew on all of our cruises always go out of their way to make the entire experience special for the young ones.

OMO

bosco

Great for you and the kids.

August is gonna be warm. The "Tarheels" implies you will have no trouble with warm weather so prepare accordingly.

We did Cozumel with a young teen a few years ago and she wanted to see some ruins. We chose a part ruins and part beach tour. (San Gervasio Ruins & Beach Break ) No overwhelming pyramids or the like but a very nice sampler of smaller ruins and Mayan culture. A great tour guide made it very interesting and we then spent a few hours at a beach resort on the very calm side of the island, had a few drinks, snacks and dips in the water before the bus trip back to the ship all with time to spare before dinner.

Depending on the ages of the kids and their interests this may be an option to look into.

Drink packages depend on how much you plan on drinking things other than those included at no charge.

I know you and yours will have a great time.

The crew on all of our cruises always go out of their way to make the entire experience special for the young ones.

OMO

bosco

Do you remember which tour this was in Cozumel??

Do you remember which tour this was in Cozumel??

It was several years ago, however I found this link, hope it helps.

BTW, the air conditioned bus ride is fairly short as the island is pretty small. It is not strenuous at all, just a good bit of walking... BRING A CAMERA.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?ProductCode=CZK9&DestinationCode=

bosco

Edited by boscobeans