Princess, are you listening?

EddieCruzer

Interesting. The take away seems to be "Customer satisfaction, wider customer base and customer retention are key aspects of business excellence." So it would seem that Princess must attend to customer service, repeat customers and attracting new customers, all three. Just one of these won't keep the company "excellent."

As part of my VP at a major company I do statistics as well as run our customer program. While the Sigma concept is interesting it is not really universally applicable. A defect rate of, say, 4.43 per thousand may be acceptable when manufacturing toy balloons but certainly is not when flying commercial airplanes.

Many academicians and statisticians enjoy the cerebral exercise of trying to mathematically explain behavior patterns but, by definition, human behavior is in a word human and thus not reliably mathematically defined nor modeled.

A defect rate of, say, 4.43 per thousand may be acceptable when manufacturing toy balloons but certainly is not when flying commercial airplanes.

That reminds me of a story of an order an electronics manufacturer made for a 1000 computer chips from a supplier. The order stated "with no more than 3 defective chips" or something like that.

When they received the order they got the 1000 chips in one package, and 3 other chips with the following note "We don't quite know why you would want 3 defective chips, but here they are!"

Interesting thought.

I figure the rule of 10 applies. For every complaint you get (and I know he's posting only the excessive ones) assume 10 people have the same complaint but either don't care enough to report it, or have already given up.

It also depends on how you define complaint. So I don't know if there is standard. Also, as far as I know Princess doesn't have a CRM system beyond their HMS that tracks complaints, etc (they should - every company should), most of it appears to be handled by email/interoffice memo. This (to my mind) is also why they have so many issues with followup.

As far as Heald, I like reading him because not only is he entertaining, he's very 'real'. I really don't get the feeling his online persona is well, a persona.

Heald does make for an entertaining read (if you can get beyond his constant underwear jokes.) It makes me wonder, though, exactly how bad the complaint problem is on Carnival or Princess or any line. If a ship holds 3500 passengers (give or take) and 350 or 10% of them complain and ask for compensation (whether justified or not), then it follows that 90% are not complaining and asking for compensation. Since I am no business whiz, I wonder if there is some standard complaint ratio or the like in the cruise business. At what point do the complainers put the line out of business? (Obviously, in my example, some would receive more compensation than others and some none at all.) Perhaps the business whiz types among us can explain this to me.

I've only cruised 3 times so likely not good as a "representative" passenger but... For the 3 cruises I've been on I have only had two "complaints".

1. The incredibly rude passenger on Grand Princes

2. I have to get off at the end of the cruise.

Princess has treated me quite well and I am happy with their product and their service.

That is probably the best definition of complaint/demand I have ever heard. Permission to use in customer service training?

Herald sometimes reports "complaints" that are actually "demands". The difference is complaints are due to something that is not as it should be and demands are when something is not as the person wants it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only cruised 3 times so likely not good as a "representative" passenger but... For the 3 cruises I've been on I have only had two "complaints".

1. The incredibly rude passenger on Grand Princes

2. I have to get off at the end of the cruise.

Princess has treated me quite well and I am happy with their product and their service.

I agree. The only negative experiences I have had on a cruise have been from fellow passengers. Has everything always gone my way - no. Have I been given wrong information by a member of staff - yes. Did I let it ruin my vacation - ABSOLUTEY NOT!!! Don't dwell on it. Just say "No Worries!" and continue to enjoy! You will have to go back to reality all too soon!

Of all the companies listed, how many will give you a monetary "reward" other than a refund when you return something? A hotel may give you a voucher for a future stay (princess will do the same at times) Most of the listed companies take the returned product and simply give you a refund.

The "trick" of a voucher is that you have to spend more money and return to the merchant (hotels, airlines, cruiselines)to use your voucher. Hence they get their money back and it costs them nothing.

I stood in the elite line on a Princess cruise earlier this year to change some money. I was number three in line. Just as I was about to be helped a passenger in a wheelchair rolled up and started to complain that he had been waiting for over 15 minutes to be waited on and that he was not going to be treated this way by incompetent uncaring imbeciles. He demanded to see the PSM. Well I had seen him and his wife roll up just as I was stepping up to the counter, so I knew he was lying through his teeth. I turned to him and said. "You sir are a blatant liar and have just arrived at the desk, get back in line and wait your turn. Try to learn some manners while you wait!!" He was about to respond when his wife rolled the chair away and disappeared.

I felt good after that and got a very big smile from the folks behind the desk.

aaerobear----Good on you! A jerk is a jerk is a jerk regardless of his/her physical capabilities. I do not consider myself to be a manners enforcer policeman. I too have respectfully given a piece of my mind to manners challenged offenders (chair hogs, line jumpers, verbal abusers of crew members, elevator shovers, slobs who leave glasses and dishware on the Promenade deck and in stairwells) without reservation. I just got off the Grand Princess which had an unbelievably good string quartet playing in the Piazza almost daily. The Piazza is not a great venue for this type of entertainment and I have left numerous comments over the years asking Princess to consider moving string quartets to a less noisy spot. Three loud mouthed women and one Casper Milquetoast husband sauntered into the front row of the Piazza mid performance and started conversing loudly on a variety of inane topics completely inappropriate to the setting. I glared at them for awhile and the man noticed my obvious disdain for their rude behavior but he accepted their conduct and said nothing to the women. A few more minutes passed and I quietly took the blabbermouths to task in a voice just loud enough only they could hear. They apologized to me and within a minute or so departed with Mr. Spineless in tow. They needed to apologize to all of us in attendance and also to the performers. Bottom line, if more of the silent majority respectfully asked offenders in any venue to cease their rudeness we would see less bad passenger behavior. Cruise lines also need to remove offenders from their ships at the first opportunity and refuse to allow offenders to return in the future. Wouldn't it be nice if all the cruise lines got together and issued a "No Cruise" list?

Edited by boomerone
sp

Cruisers who abuse crew members deserve the same in return.

Treat the crew members as you would like to be treated, and your cruise experience will be far better than if you "grump" around and complain all the time.

Idaho Cruises---Well Said! Sadly, there are some who seem happiest when they are being a pain in the butt to someone else.

I've witnessed boorish behavior on the part of passengers. Once a man was arguing with a head waiter because he could not eat lunch in the dining room. The man came 15 minutes after the posted closing time. The head waiter was trying to be firm as he patiently pointed that out as well as the dining venues that were still open that the man could go to. The man was making a huge scene, finally storming off saying that he was heading to passenger services to file a complaint. I hope they did not give him anything.

And wasn't there an infamous passenger on Princess who has been been banned?

Royal Caribbean banned a husband and wife. Google and you'll find the articles.

You can no longer return most digital cameras and electronics after 90 days.

I knew a woman -- she would buy a digital camera. After 9-12 months,

a better one would become available. She would return the first camera to

costco for a full refund, and buy the newer one.

I guess the customer is always right -- until the company decides they're not, and changes the return policy.

I've heard of some who would 'buy' a camera or camcorder and take it on vacation and return it immediately upon return from the vacation. In effect, 'borrowing' the camera for a few days.

PghCruiseGrrrl - you are 10,000% right on! Nearly always a positive cruise experience begins and ends with a positive attitude.

There are dumb people with dumb behavior and dumb demands everywhere and if we let that ruin our everywhere we won't have a very happy life. The same applies to a cruise, or a resort, or airline travel, or dinner at a restaurant at home, etc., etc., etc.

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

Boomerone,

Good for you, I am glad I am not the only one. Another thing that galls me are the people that stroll into the theater 15 minutes after the show starts and hunt for seats and talk to each other about where to sit, bothering everyone else who showed up ontime and WERE enjoying the performance.

Or the ones that get a seat in the middle of the row and after 15 or 20 minutes get up and bother everyone and decide to leave.

No manners at all. They can't even wait for a break in the performance. Nope, it is all about Me.

Also if you are attending. STHU, that is not the time to talk to your bestest girl friend about what you had for dinner or what you are going to do tomorrow.

Boomerone,

Good for you, I am glad I am not the only one. Another thing that galls me are the people that stroll into the theater 15 minutes after the show starts and hunt for seats and talk to each other about where to sit, bothering everyone else who showed up ontime and WERE enjoying the performance.

Or the ones that get a seat in the middle of the row and after 15 or 20 minutes get up and bother everyone and decide to leave.

No manners at all. They can't even wait for a break in the performance. Nope, it is all about Me.

Also if you are attending. STHU, that is not the time to talk to your bestest girl friend about what you had for dinner or what you are going to do tomorrow.

aaerobear---It is sad to see our increasingly inconsiderate society where common sense is an uncommon virtue mirrored on cruise ships where people should be more laid back and respectful of others who are enjoying their mutual break from the mayhem of everyday life. I love it when a performer "goes after" a latecomer who is interrupting his/her show. How about those who arrive first in the theatres and lounges and sit in the seats on the end of a row and then grumble and roll eyes and huff and puff when you ask to pass by? Also, what's with those who get up as soon as the final number is performed and climb over others who are applauding the performance? Why do so many fail to show appreciation for the work done by the dancers, singers, and other performers? Why do some refuse to lift their seats and leave their drink glasses on the floor by their seat so others can trip over or step on them as they exit? Couldn't Princess add a sentence to their pre-show "use of pyrotechnics and strobe lighting" announcement that asks people to take their glassware out of the theatre and raise their seats when the show is over? There should be a pill for the "ME, ME, ME" people.

I've been on cruises where the forward thinking cruise director staff member who is going to introduce the show steps up a couple minutes before the curtain rises and asks people to slide over and fill in vacant seats near the center of the rows so others can get in easier. I'd like to see Princess close the doors as the show starts to keep the slowpokes out. Having had a doofus stumble over me when he arrived late I must say it is very dangerous for all concerned to allow people to enter a darkened theatre, especially those who refuse to let their eyes adjust to the darkness.

I've heard of some who would 'buy' a camera or camcorder and take it on vacation and return it immediately upon return from the vacation. In effect, 'borrowing' the camera for a few days.

I used to work in one of those mass market discount department stores. You wouldn't believe how many cocktail dresses got returned on Mondays. Some with the deodorant stains in the armpit. Naturally that was the reason for the return. They didn't notice the stain until they removed the tags. :rolleyes:

This one just came across John's FB page:

"Name: Gillian______

Message: I will be on the Dream 10/12 and want my son to have a place in the Legends show as Frank Sinatra. He is 17 and has a voice everyone says is as good as Michael Buble. He brought the house down on his NCL Norwegian Jade cruise and he will do the same for your passengers. Can you guarantee me he will be in the show. His name is ______ and he will be in cabins **** and ****. Please respond"

--- Legends is the pax talent show, so he certainly could perform, but Guarantee??

He didn't post his response, but I think I can guess.

Edited by Loonbeam