Constellation Deck 9 Overhang

ptrpanpens

Does anyone have any comments, pro or con regarding the effect of the Deck 9 overhang on the M Class ships, specifically the Constellation. I am in one of the aqua class cabins and was just curious how people liked the overhang (or didn't).

Does it cut out a lot of the light inside the cabin or distract from the view if taking photos from the balcony. I am not a sun worshipper so do not care that the area will be shaded.

Thanks for any insight. I am in cabin 9054 starboard.

We were in Cabin 9059 (?) or nearby on the Summit last month. Loved the overhang as we are not fond of direct sun on the balcony.

Didn't obstruct views and cabin was quite bright.

The overhang was one of the reasons we didn't want Aqua Class on Deck 11 which apparently gets a lot of direct sunlight.

Enjoy your cruise. Blu was great as always!

We were in 9127 on Millennium and had no issues with the overhang. The cabin was not darker because of it and we did not have obstructed views when taking pictures from the balcony.

This picture of orcas off the ship was taken from the balcony. They were pretty far away by the time I got the camera but no issues seeing or photographing them.

Mary Lou

385946971_ALASKA2014756.jpg.ce4573d3ac8f80ec26e5ec9b3893deb0.jpg

Different people have different tolerance levels and notice things differently. I wouldn't want one of those cabins for two reasons - they are darker (this is simple physics, people) and they are noisier. That overhang is quite severe in places, as shown in the photos below. Stateroom 9054 has this severe overhang over it - it's about at the middle in the first photo, right where the ceiling of the overhang becomes uncovered and the support grid is first visible. Plus, you have public areas directly above you and noise can be a real problem. Noise such as people running, deck chairs being dragged, etc. Also, look closely at the photos. There are support beams that will always be in view unless you are looking directly out and not towards the back or the front. It is impossible to not see these beams in the deck 9 cabins that are under the overhangs. See the photo in post #4 for how this looks.

So not for me. I'll find a room somewhere else other than directly under the overhang. Deck 8 is my first preference. All of our M-class cruise have been in deck 8 staterooms, including our upcoming Millennium cruise next February. However, none of these rooms are Aqua Class, but that is fine with me since we aren't interested in that.

Celebrity%20Infinity%20002.JPG

Celebrity%20Infinity%20000.JPG

Celebrity%20Infinity%20001.JPG

Edited by boogs

Thanks for the photos. Since the cost was only $2,398 for a single occupancy aqua class guarantee cabin on my 11 night European cruise versus more than double that for an assigned aqua cabin of my choice, I think I will be fine with the overhang.:D

But interesting to see how different the M Class is from S Class ships.

Those photos make deck 9 cabins look like they are almost hidden in a cave. Way too much overhang. Which makes me wonder why the designer narrowed those decks instead of keeping the side of the ship flat. Seems there would have been lots more room inside without making the ship taller, or longer and wider at the waterline.

Anyone have a clue why the sides are pinched in along most of the sides?

DECK 6:

CS_Penthouse_Deck_1510_H.gif

DECK 10:CS_Resort_Deck_1510_H.gif

Edited by fortinweb

Thanks for the photos. Since the cost was only $2,398 for a single occupancy aqua class guarantee cabin on my 11 night European cruise versus more than double that for an assigned aqua cabin of my choice, I think I will be fine with the overhang.:D

But interesting to see how different the M Class is from S Class ships.

Now that you have your guaranteed category stateroom assigned, contact Celebrity and ask to have your room changed to somewhere else that doesn't have such an overhang. I have heard of people getting moved to a better location because they took a minute to ask, even with a guaranteed arrangement.

Now that you have your guaranteed category stateroom assigned, contact Celebrity and ask to have your room changed to somewhere else that doesn't have such an overhang. I have heard of people getting moved to a better location because they took a minute to ask, even with a guaranteed arrangement.

Yes I am aware that you can switch cabins within a category. However, All the aqua cabins in that category are on Deck 9 with the overhang and I like the position of the cabin I was assigned so am not inclined to change. Plus I do not think I will be at all bothered by the overhang since I do not mind the shade, and compared to the inside cabin which I upgraded from, any balcony will be a blessing.:)

But thank you again for your advice.

We have sailed on all 4 M class ships and on deck 9 a number of times.

Cabins aft of 9108 are under the carpeted floor of the Lido and there is virtually no noise.

As for the overhang, I prefer it and some of the pictures posted make it seem as if you are in a cave. Much depends on the position of the ship in relation to the sun too or glare off Hubbard Glacier!!!

Hey you have to tip your hat to Celebrity. They had a hard time marketing deck 9 - and they knew that people were in love with Blu. So they turned these undesirable cabins into Aqua, charge more and give the people Blu. Genius!

Hey you have to tip your hat to Celebrity. They had a hard time marketing deck 9 - and they knew that people were in love with Blu. So they turned these undesirable cabins into Aqua, charge more and give the people Blu. Genius!

Just proves that in some cases putting lipstick on a pig DOES work!!! :D;):)

Edited by fortinweb

Had 9125 on the Connie in Feb. Loved it. I found the overhang a non issue, and above the room is just where the entrance to the buffet is (but it's not a seating area if I remember correctly there is carpeting above that cabin) so there was no noise at all. The room was quiet. I slept like a baby, and I don't sleep that well at home.

I personally am not a sun worshipper. Even at home, I don't use my deck unless there is some shade. That said, I never felt like the room was dark, and the overhang gave shade while not making us feel like we were in a cave. 9125, if I remember correctly, also is situated in such a way that the support beam is not directly in your line of sight either. And if I'm not mistaken, it's overhang is not as long as its' neighbors. I think it dips in right there.

Would I book the cabin again? Without hesitation. It works for us, but I think the deck 9 cabins are a love or hate with little grey in between....

oh yes, there is that too! I am spoiled now in that regard. One reason I worry about a balcony where there's any kind of angle and people above can look down on others. Not that we'd be doing anything unmentionable on a balcony, but I do like the solitude feeling.

oh yes, there is that too! I am spoiled now in that regard. One reason I worry about a balcony where there's any kind of angle and people above can look down on others. Not that we'd be doing anything unmentionable on a balcony, but I do like the solitude feeling.

Be careful in staterooms under the buffet area. There are portholes in the floor in the seating areas (at least there were on our last M-class cruise three years ago). People may be able to look down onto your balcony if it's situated under those portholes. You can see these portholes in the photo below - they are the round spots under the glassed in sections that extend out the furthest.

Edited by boogs

Be careful in staterooms under the buffet area. There are portholes in the floor in the seating areas (at least there were on our last M-class cruise three years ago). People may be able to look down onto your balcony if it's situated under those portholes. You can see these portholes in the photo below - they are the round spots under the glassed in sections that extend out the furthest.

Oh man......

I read a description that the port holes in the floor of the buffet area looked down onto the sea. When viewed from the proper angle, the position of the port hole is over the water not the balcony. Hopefully , Celebrity took customer privacy into consideration!

I read a description that the port holes in the floor of the buffet area looked down onto the sea. When viewed from the proper angle, the position of the port hole is over the water not the balcony. Hopefully , Celebrity took customer privacy into consideration!

I've stood on the "portholes" and looked down... Ocean all the way. I doubt you can see cabins as the area is about 2' around, maybe 3. Maybe if you got down and put your face 180 degrees from the cabins you might see the balcony, which would look quite strange. I felt very uncomfortable standing on the window and after about 10 seconds had to move off... between the moving ocean WAY BELOW and the just creepy feeling.