Do you tip with Cheers?

DKF97

Ok yet another Cheers question. This may have been asked already but I don't want to read hundreds of Cheers posts to find what I'm looking for.

We did Cheers once and I said I'd never do it again, but now the price has dropped.... So my question is do you tip with every drink? Certain servers or bartenders?

When we had it, we would have barely broke even, but we didn't because I felt compelled to tip extra with almost every drink. I'd like to get it on our cruise in 2 weeks, but its just not worth it to us if we tip every drink. If we just tip cash to certain outstanding servers or bartenders, then I think it would be worth it. We did learn after our last cruise that when you write in a tip on the receipt it goes into a pool, which I would have liked to know because we had one outstanding bartender and several terrible ones on that cruise.

There was a post recently on this. Someone said they tipped $1 to $2 every drink. Some said they tip a special bartender, some being cash. Some said they don't tip any extra. I think it's up to each individual. IMHO, you are charged a gratuity when you buy the program. I may tip extra if we have a bartender we really get along with. Other than that, no extra tips.

Tips are added to the program when you purchase the plan. You do not need to tip more and I was never made to feel out of place for not doing so. If you find you have a special waiter or bartender you could tip them extra as you wish but it is really not necessary.

You don't have to tip, but what you pay really covers the first 5 drinks after that you are taking money out of their pockets as you have only tipped 5 bucks for the day. So if you had 15 drinks you shorted them 10 bucks that day. But the choice is up to you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by goduckies05

With the new lower price for the 7 day Cheers program including tip you are now tipping the equivalent of about 50 cents a drink assuming you drink about 10 drinks a day on the Cheers program. If you drink more you are tipping less per drink.

If that is acceptable to you, then by all means don't tip more.

I know it is not acceptable to me.

We don't feel that the 15% we pay on the package appropriately covers our service based on the amount of drinks we have. We normally add a dollar or 2 on about every other order. More often if the service is especially outstanding.

We don't feel that the 15% we pay on the package appropriately covers our service based on the amount of drinks we have. We normally add a dollar or 2 on about every other order. More often if the service is especially outstanding.

I feel the same way.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

Thanks all! We aren't comfortable not tipping either, just did the math and it looks like Cheers will still be worth it even with extra tipping. We still probably will barely break even, but it's worth it to us not to have to keep track of our spending so closely. At least at the new pricing, wasn't worth it at all at the old prices.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ok yet another Cheers question. This may have been asked already but I don't want to read hundreds of Cheers posts to find what I'm looking for.

We did Cheers once and I said I'd never do it again, but now the price has dropped.... So my question is do you tip with every drink? Certain servers or bartenders?

When we had it, we would have barely broke even, but we didn't because I felt compelled to tip extra with almost every drink. I'd like to get it on our cruise in 2 weeks, but its just not worth it to us if we tip every drink. If we just tip cash to certain outstanding servers or bartenders, then I think it would be worth it. We did learn after our last cruise that when you write in a tip on the receipt it goes into a pool, which I would have liked to know because we had one outstanding bartender and several terrible ones on that cruise.

It's included. If they didn't take it from me, I might be willing to tip what I wish, but when they take it from me? It's a done deal.

Now, is someone does something other than the mechanics of pouring and delivering a drink, I might consider it.

We tipped extra now and then (every other or so). We found it kept the waiters attentive and several of the roaming waiters learned us by name and memorized our favorite drinks very quickly.

One of the things we enjoyed the most about the Cheers program was experimenting at the Alchemy Bar. Those bartenders work hard to please and we tipped extra there.

It's included. If they didn't take it from me, I might be willing to tip what I wish, but when they take it from me? It's a done deal.

Now, is someone does something other than the mechanics of pouring and delivering a drink, I might consider it.

That's exactly the way I feel.

So you don't mind shorting the servers 5 to 10 dollars a day if you drink more than 5 drinks? You obviously never worked in the service industry.

You got it!

When a mandatory tip is added, I don't tip extra, except for extraordinary service. When a mandatory tip is not added, I tip very generously.

Edited by 5PUPS

It isn't those servers fault the 15% of 37.50 is added. If you only have 5 drinks. You have tipped them fully. At 10 drinks half, and 15 drinks you would be tipping less than 5 % per drink. You can do what you want, I just want to make sure the people who have questions on this understand the actual numbers.

It isn't those servers fault the 15% of 37.50 is added. If you only have 5 drinks. You have tipped them fully. At 10 drinks half, and 15 drinks you would be tipping less than 5 % per drink. You can do what you want, I just want to make sure the people who have questions on this understand the actual numbers.

Then they should talk to their management, and not insinuate the customer feel guilty about something.

Also not sure how many people drink between 6 and 15 drinks, but they are ALL tipping on drinks they probably aren't even having.

And I'm not sitting back worrying about it.

All I do know is, unless the customer is tipping in cash, all those tips are pooled anyway.*

* Source JOHN HEALD

So you don't mind shorting the servers 5 to 10 dollars a day if you drink more than 5 drinks? You obviously never worked in the service industry.

Doesn't matter whether or not I've ever worked in a service industry. (I have). And I'm not shorting anyone. I'll take advantage of whatever program I'm a part of. That's the deal. Now if someone really makes a difference in service to me then I'll take care of them. Otherwise I'll smile and say thanks and enjoy my drink in a carefree manner and sleep like a baby that night.

Fist-pumping gleeful rum runner!!!

Edited by MamallamaAndDaddy

For me it is easy since when I bought drinks individually I always tipped $1 per drink extra, so I did the same on Cheers. They add the 15% on when you buy individual drinks too, so technically you never have to add the tip ever. That line is there for the "extra" tip. Since tipping is a personal choice if you want to be even to the staff, use the "extra" tip line the same whether you are on cheers or not. Although the amount of the initial tip varies depending on the number of drinks purchased with the cheers program, it is no different than a land based restaurant where there are two tables, one table orders $20 steaks and one table orders $10 hamburgers. The work is the same even though the tip is different from each table. If you don't feel guilty in land, you should not feel guilty at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise line sets the gratuity and sells the packages. This isn't the customers problem. Tip more if you have great service, sure, but you are doing a major disservice telling people that they are taking money out of the staffs pockets by purchasing and using the Cheers program. Tips are for great service, not for guilt.

How am I doing them a dis service when it is true. They get 5.625 a day from the cheers auto gratuity now. If you didn't have chers and had 10 drinks you would have auto tipped 12 bucks. Now with cheers you just saved 7 dollars in tips. Like I said it is personal choice but it isn't wrong to inform the consumer how it actually does short the waiter if you don't tip extra after then 5 drinks.

With the new lower price for the 7 day Cheers program including tip you are now tipping the equivalent of about 50 cents a drink assuming you drink about 10 drinks a day on the Cheers program. If you drink more you are tipping less per drink.

If that is acceptable to you, then by all means don't tip more.

I know it is not acceptable to me.

I totally agree. If you drink 15 drinks you are tipping about 30 cents apiece. How throwing down an extra 15$ a day makes the program not worth it me is mind boggling?? I don't think a lot of people that take advantage of this program are regular going out having cocktails kind of folks. Any bar I go to if you tip 30 cents..good luck getting bartenders attention anytime soon for your second drink.

Then they should talk to their management, and not insinuate the customer feel guilty about something.

Also not sure how many people drink between 6 and 15 drinks, but they are ALL tipping on drinks they probably aren't even having.

And I'm not sitting back worrying about it.

All I do know is, unless the customer is tipping in cash, all those tips are pooled anyway.*

* Source JOHN HEALD

The last cruise we were on my husband specifically asked one of the waiters if the tips are "pooled". He said that the tip that is included in the charge are pooled but of you add an additonal tip, it goes to that particular server.