Which Internet Package?

ramco

Suggestions, please, for an internet package for a 16-day Celebrity cruise. I don't intend to go online often - just to download my e-mails every couple of days. Internet packages being as pricey as they are, I prefer not to spend more than I have to.

There is no correct answer to this as no one can predict how much time you will use or want to spend doing this. You don't even have to buy a package as you can just pay the per minute rate. But be aware that if you do buy a package there may not be any savings if some of the purchased minutes go unused. Also if you buy a package I think that any excess time over the package limit is charged at the rate inherent in the package rather than the higher $0.75/min no-package rate.

Also, some cruiser take their tablets off the ship at ports to use local internet cafes which may have free, or lower cost, internet. I know that in the Caribbean some of the cruise terminals have free wifi internet as well.

Edited by Lsimon

We have never bought a package and use internet while on shore if needed. By doing a little research first for each of your ports you can usually find free, fast reliable internet. Sometimes you'll need to buy a drink or a coffee. I usually make sure I've found a couple of possible locations for each port. Surprisingly easy to find.

Personally, I find it kind of liberating not to have Internet access while on the ship.

We have never bought a package and use internet while on shore if needed. By doing a little research first for each of your ports you can usually find free, fast reliable internet. Sometimes you'll need to buy a drink or a coffee. I usually make sure I've found a couple of possible locations for each port. Surprisingly easy to find.

Personally, I find it kind of liberating not to have Internet access while on the ship.

My suggestion as well.

If you had a "standard" computer where you connect, download your mail, sign off....then read your mail...write responses and then connect again to send the mail and sign off......and if you don't send photos, just text, then you are in the range of six minutes a day of time needed.

However, if you use a tablet where you have to be connected to read the mail or want to use your computer to read the mail while you are connected, then all bets are off and the sky is the limit.

My recommendation is that you find a mail application on your tablet that downloads all of your mail (not just the headers or first 500 characters), get to know how to use it BEFORE the cruise, and then consider buying a package on-board. However, I (and many others) take their computer ashore at ports and find some place to buy a coke/coffee and connect to wifi which also gives us a chance to call home/family using skype or equivalent voice over IP.

If you don't know how to connect our tablet/computer to public wifi, practice at home (starbucks/etc).

If you had a "standard" computer where you connect, download your mail, sign off....then read your mail...write responses and then connect again to send the mail and sign off......and if you don't send photos, just text, then you are in the range of six minutes a day of time needed.

However, if you use a tablet where you have to be connected to read the mail or want to use your computer to read the mail while you are connected, then all bets are off and the sky is the limit.

My recommendation is that you find a mail application on your tablet that downloads all of your mail (not just the headers or first 500 characters), get to know how to use it BEFORE the cruise, and then consider buying a package on-board. However, I (and many others) take their computer ashore at ports and find some place to buy a coke/coffee and connect to wifi which also gives us a chance to call home/family using skype or equivalent voice over IP.

If you don't know how to connect our tablet/computer to public wifi, practice at home (starbucks/etc).

Makes sense depending on the cruise, but we are going on a Trans-Atlantic (7 days crossing) plus 2 other days at sea, so I am somewhat dependent on connecting via the ship.

Edited by ramco

I paid $10 per hour on Royal Caribbean in February, only to find out Celebrity charges $60 for an hour and a half! I had to pass, but am wondering if the price had to do with the Apple products?

While prices have gone up a bit in recent years the rates, overall are not that different from what they were before Celebrity switched to Apple products. Only big change was an increase in the basic per minute rate from $0.60 to $0.75 a couple years ago along with some similar changes in the package pricing.