Crown or Ruby to Alaska?

lauren0309

Same price, same ports. Going in July. Only difference is that Ruby spends more time in Ketchikan. I don't see any other differences so can't decide. Also they sail in a different order of their stops. I've been on Ruby to the Caribbean so figure Crown would be something different. But don't know if one is better for Alaska than the other.

Also do both these ships have my time dining?

Well, after looking at the Cruise Atlas, I see a big difference in the itinerary you failed to mention: Ruby Princess cruises Tracy Arm and Crown Princess cruises Glacier Bay. In spite of the full day in Ketchikan on Ruby Princess, I have to tell you that Glacier Bay is far superior to Tracy Arm. I would forget Ruby Princess and book Crown Princess.

Well, after looking at the Cruise Atlas, I see a big difference in the itinerary you failed to mention: Ruby Princess cruises Tracy Arm and Crown Princess cruises Glacier Bay. In spite of the full day in Ketchikan on Ruby Princess, I have to tell you that Glacier Bay is far superior to Tracy Arm. I would forget Ruby Princess and book Crown Princess.

From my review of the Cruise Atlas, I saw that it is only every other week that the Crown Princess goes to Glacier Bay (there is indications with small print). The other weeks the Crown Princess is going to Tracy Arm, making the itineraries basically the same as the Ruby Princess.

For those weeks when the itinerary is the same, if that is what the OP is looking for, I would just check and see if one is better priced and whether one day works better than other, based on other factors (pre- and post- cruise travel).

If they're both calling at Glacier Bay and a little bit longer in Ketchikan isn't that important to you, I would personally look to see what ships will be visiting the ports each day. When we sailed to Alaska, we were lucky and there weren't too many ships in port with us. From what I've read, it seems that the ports can seem pretty crowded if many ships are calling there.

If this interests you, two websites you can use to help decide would be http://www.cruisetimetables.com and http://www.cruisett.com.

Edited by Disconnections

I didnt notice Glacier Day was on 2 dates.I was looking for July 4 because the price was listed as cheaper. If Glacier Bay is in the itinerary I would definitely book the following week. I will look at it again right now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I just checked and its $800 more to visit Glacier Bay. Is the extra money worth it?

Edited by lauren0309

I just checked the airfares comparing the two dates. The airfare is also more money for the cruise which sails to Glacier Bay. So it would be $800 more for the cruise plus $300 more for the airfare. Is $1,100 more worth it to see the Glaciers? :confused:

The cruise of Tracy Arm leads to Sawyer Glacier, which is pretty spectacular in its own right.

In some parts of the Alaska cruise season, the ice makes it impossible to reach, but in July you should be able to go all the way to Sawyer Glacier.

I have been to Alaska 6 times and have done land tours on 3 of those times.

I have never known anyone who had been to Alaska who did not want to return there. It is expensive but sooner or later you will want to do a land tour. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to see Alaska to save up until they can include a land tour along with the cruise. The longer the land tour the better.

lauren if money is a key concern than go with the Ruby, you will still have a great time. Save the money for excursions in the ports of call. Whale watching is a must in Juneau and most people like taking the train at least one way while in Skagway. Ketchikan was our least favorite port, but this is all a personal preference.

While we had a great time we have seen Alaska and would like to see other states and countries. There are others that want to keep going back to Alaska, its what you want to do and see, but in my opinion do not think the $1,100 is worth it.

The cruise of Tracy Arm leads to Sawyer Glacier, which is pretty spectacular in its own right.

In some parts of the Alaska cruise season, the ice makes it impossible to reach, but in July you should be able to go all the way to Sawyer Glacier.

I have gone 2x in July and missed it both times due to ice :(

Glacier Bay is a sure thing and would be my choice.

I've been to Tracy Arm 3 times, twice near the end of July and once in early August. Both times in July we got close enough to see the glacier in the distance, but couldn't get all the way in. The only time we made it in to the glacier was in August.

I've also been to Glacier Bay 3 times and it is a far superior glacier experience, plus we have always seen whales on the way out.

Now, I can see why the difference in pricing, the Ruby only does Glacier cruising from 8 am to 1am. You get two days of Glacier cruising and take a nice scenic ride from Whittier to ANC. We got within .5 N Miles of Hubbard Glacier

My wife and I did the Crown last week Anchorage to Vancouver and Glacier NP and Hubbard Glacier were terrific. Also the reindeer chili was awesome (had two bowls). Forget Ketchikan it was our low point of the cruise, too many cheap jewelry shops right off the pier.

I just checked and its $800 more to visit Glacier Bay. Is the extra money worth it?

I would have preferred Glacier Bay but this is the exact reason I chose the itinerary with Tracy Arm. I can't imagine that Glacier Bay would be worth almost $800 more.

Now, I can see why the difference in pricing, the Ruby only does Glacier cruising from 8 am to 1am. You get two days of Glacier cruising and take a nice scenic ride from Whittier to ANC. We got within .5 N Miles of Hubbard Glacier

My wife and I did the Crown last week Anchorage to Vancouver and Glacier NP and Hubbard Glacier were terrific. Also the reindeer chili was awesome (had two bowls). Forget Ketchikan it was our low point of the cruise, too many cheap jewelry shops right off the pier.

Here are a few pics from Hubbard

HubbardGlacier.jpg

HubbardGlacier2.jpg

Edited by beanersts

I think there is some confusion between this year's itinerary of the Crown and next year's July itinerary of Crown. Next year the Crown will not be home ported in Vancouver but both she and the Ruby will be home ported in Seattle, the Crown will do a 7 day return junket and will not be going to Whittier like you did this year. The 2 times in July that 5 the Crown will cruise Glacier Bay she will be there from 6 am until 3 pm.