How do we get great snorkeling for little or no cost?

IslandExplorer

I've read all the various Cozumel snorkeling threads, and it seems that there are beach snorkeling options (where you have to pay to hang out at a resort), but the best snorkeling is by boat.

We have already blown the budget in booking this cruise. Seriously, we do not want to spend a single penny when we are in Cozumel. If we have to spend money on the island, we would rather just stay on the ship.

And yet I am an avid snorkeler and desperately want to see the best underwater life Cozumel has to offer.

Can anyone help us sort this out? If we do take a boat to the reef, can we take one for say $10?

In answer to your boat for $10 question, NO! A taxi to a diveshop from one of the south piers could run you almost that amount.

Take a look at the MoneyBar website. It's among the best shore snorkeling and is in front of the reef that many boats use as one of their offshore snorkeling sites, (the others being to the south). They have low/no cost (BYO snorkel gear) snorkeling with iron shore right up to their waterfront and good facilities, food and drink. Little or no beach though. But a taxi to there will run you about $9 (per taxi up to 4 people).

Another vote for the Money Bar!

Bingo.

OP - it'll cost you a taxi ride, so maybe $15 or so for a couple of people, and the same on the way back to the ship. So it's a bit over the $10 target you're looking for, but it's the closest thing that comes to mind in terms of what you're looking for. No entry fee or anything like that. Just show up and get in the water. Not much of a beach, but it offers very good snorkeling. Lockers, snorkeling gear, etc. for rent. The bar itself has pretty good food and reasonably priced beers.

Money Bar is the bomb! BEST snorkeling - all the snorkeling tour boats come there - you can take a taxi there and not pay for the boat! Had THE BEST time there with a group from age 9 - 50. Bring your own snorkel gear or they have it for rent. They do ask that you buy something from the menu, but the prices were very reasonable and food was good. We took home the cups that soda came in - still talk about it being the best best best day! :D

All beaches in Mexico are open to the public. It's the entry point through a club or hotel facilities where entry fees to the club or hotel are charged. There are several public access points all along the Western side of Cozumel. The nearest one to Puerta Maya between the Money Bar and El Presidente Hotel. It's about 3-4 kilometers from Puerta Maya Pier (around 2-2.5 miles), along the old beachfront road, after it turns off past the marina. (20-25 minute walk) You'll definitely need surf shoes here and you will be totally on your own. No facilities of any kind. No locker for your things, no food, no drink. I wouldn't recommend DIY here, as the current on any given day may be strong (typically at Money Bar you swim out diagonally to your right a ways and then float down letting the current bring you back to the beach) and it's not a "clean" beach area. But it is a "cheap" option.

This thread was so helpful....thank you. Definitely will keep Moneybar on the list. If cost wasn't an issue, any other suggestions for great snorkeling spots with nice facilities in a safe area where no boat is needed? Fees are fine. Just can't do any boat rides to a reef. My husband gets seasick on those smaller boats that take you to the reefs (like ones in the keys). He's tried 2x with seasickness pills, ginger, no luck. We both swim fine and are in good health. Any other suggestions are most appreciated.

Edited by Flafun888

Just south of the Money Bar is Chankanaab National Park. Their northern end has access to the last of the same reef that Money Bar has access to, and in theory you can snorkel anywhere along its beach. There is an entrance fee, but then there's lots of different things to do there. They have a website and there are threads on others experiences there in this board.

Further south at Punta Sur, there is access to another reef system close to shore (boats also head to this area and it's underwater park, but usually further out from shore). You have an entrance fee to the Eco park and lighthouse and then the beach is beyond that. They have recently started cruise ship beach excursions to here and I honestly can't tell you if the beach facilities with food and drink are open to all or just the excursion folks, nor can I tell you what they charge for use. But your cruise line may have information.

the BEST snorkeling in Cozumel is from a boat. The reefs are too far out to do them from shore. Shore snorkeling in Cozumel is basically coral rubble with fish. So if you want to see vibrant reefs you need to take a snorkeling boat. Yes, you can see cool fish, octopus, squid, etc from shore snorkeling but you aren't going to see the best reefs in Caribbean.

the BEST snorkeling in Cozumel is from a boat. The reefs are too far out to do them from shore. Shore snorkeling in Cozumel is basically coral rubble with fish. So if you want to see vibrant reefs you need to take a snorkeling boat. Yes, you can see cool fish, octopus, squid, etc from shore snorkeling but you aren't going to see the best reefs in Caribbean.

I am very interested in your observations...

Which areas or which reefs do you recommend in Cozumel? And how far are they from shore?

When you describe them as "the best reefs in "the Caribbean, to what other reefs are you comparing them?

I love coral even more than fish, so I am very anxious to read what you can share with me. Thanks!

ABQRobin: wish I could, but unfortunately my husband gets seasick on the boats that go out to the reefs, so this is not an option. It's either snorkle close to shore or not at all.:(

If you pick a dedicated snorkeling tour, one that uses a real boat, not a "party boat" then he won't have a problem. The seas in Cozumel are relatively flat compared to about anywhere else. The boats will zip out to the reef, drop the snorkelers off in the water, then wait there to pick them up when done. Bouncing on rough seas is not usually an issue. Give it a try!

I am very interested in your observations...

Which areas or which reefs do you recommend in Cozumel? And how far are they from shore?

When you describe them as "the best reefs in "the Caribbean, to what other reefs are you comparing them?

I love coral even more than fish, so I am very anxious to read what you can share with me. Thanks!

My husband and I are avid scuba divers, I have over 500 dives and he is nearing 1000. We really have been all over the Caribbean diving and though every destination is different and has good or bad spots, we keep returning to Cozumel (9 trips there land-based vacations in 14 years).

The reefs in Cozumel are gorgeous and have the best variety of fishlife anywhere we have been. Just lush coral, colorful fish, etc.

Now.... snorkeling is different than diving, for sure. You cannot get down on the reefs unless you are on scuba, but there are some really nice shallow reefs that the dedicated snorkel boats can take you. Paradise reef is close to the cruise dock down south. The best shallow reef is way south on the island, Columbia Shallows, and only a real snorkel boat will go there as it is far south so more $$ for gas. One of the big party catamarans is not going to go there... those are all out drinking and dancing and splashing around in the water a few minutes.

If you really want to see the reefs and fish, scuba is best. BUT if that isn't going to happen, then try to book a snorkeling boat that promises to take you to 2-3 different reefs. You will see fish, and lots of them.

One of the best low cost options is just down from chankanab at playa uvas. $12 gets you use of the facilities plus gear rental and a guided tour. It's not as good as talking a boat to a reef but we saw a lot of fish and had a blast. They have lockers, bathrooms, small pool, beach lounges, a restaurant and bar. That fee also includes one drink.

Will look into that as well. Appreciate your suggestion. Unless I go alone, any boat excursion is off the table...we've tried several times on even the larger dive boats with no luck. My poor DH just doesn't do well on dive boats or any boat smaller than a cruise ship with stabilizers.

My husband and I are avid scuba divers, I have over 500 dives and he is nearing 1000. We really have been all over the Caribbean diving and though every destination is different and has good or bad spots, we keep returning to Cozumel (9 trips there land-based vacations in 14 years).

The reefs in Cozumel are gorgeous and have the best variety of fishlife anywhere we have been. Just lush coral, colorful fish, etc.

Now.... snorkeling is different than diving, for sure. You cannot get down on the reefs unless you are on scuba, but there are some really nice shallow reefs that the dedicated snorkel boats can take you. Paradise reef is close to the cruise dock down south. The best shallow reef is way south on the island, Columbia Shallows, and only a real snorkel boat will go there as it is far south so more $$ for gas. One of the big party catamarans is not going to go there... those are all out drinking and dancing and splashing around in the water a few minutes.

If you really want to see the reefs and fish, scuba is best. BUT if that isn't going to happen, then try to book a snorkeling boat that promises to take you to 2-3 different reefs. You will see fish, and lots of them.

Thanks for your input!

"try to book a snorkeling boat that promises to take you to 2-3 different reefs"

Question for ABQRobin: Where would you book a snorkeling boat, and what reefs should you ask to be taken to? How much should that cost?

We had gotten off the cruise ship last time, and got on a little panga boat (?) from one of the vendors on the docks, but I recall we stayed pretty close to the port area. We did stop 3 places, but all within sight of the cruise ship.

Edited by melissy123

You will notice on the map of Cozumel that the reef parallels the shore, very close in (as compared to, say, Belize). This is undoubtedly why you were able to visit three separate reefs ("named" sections of the same reef system, really) and still stay within sight of the ship. As someone pointed out, the boat ride from the vicinity of the cruise dock to distant areas (e.g. southern reefs) gets expensive, and given a choice, most snorkelers prefer to pay less rather than more, unless convinced that the distant reef area is very much superior. In addition, one of the beauties of Cozumel for cruise pax is that it is quick to get to the reef; hence, less travel time and more snorkeling!

mapofcozumeldivesites4.jpg

"try to book a snorkeling boat that promises to take you to 2-3 different reefs"

Question for ABQRobin: Where would you book a snorkeling boat, and what reefs should you ask to be taken to? How much should that cost?

We had gotten off the cruise ship last time, and got on a little panga boat (?) from one of the vendors on the docks, but I recall we stayed pretty close to the port area. We did stop 3 places, but all within sight of the cruise ship.

We booked with Eagle Ray a couple of years ago and were very happy with both the snorkeling and the service. Good luck! :)