Final payment 1 day late

pbmsmile

Question... what happens if you by accident (on purpose), miss the final payment window by a day??? Asking for a fellow teacher who has her final payment on October 14th (the day bf payday) She wanted to know if she could just pay her remaining balance on the 15th?? Could she call and ask for a 1 day extension?? I think she is hinting that I let her borrow the $500 she needs to pay off her cruise ...but that is not going to happen :rolleyes: so I thought I would ask the question to the wise people of CC! :p

Question... what happens if you by accident (on purpose), miss the final payment window by a day??? Asking for a fellow teacher who has her final payment on October 14th (the day bf payday) She wanted to know if she could just pay her remaining balance on the 15th?? Could she call and ask for a 1 day extension?? I think she is hinting that I let her borrow the $500 she needs to pay off her cruise ...but that is not going to happen :rolleyes: so I thought I would ask the question to the wise people of CC! :p

We actually accidentally (but really accidentally) missed the final payment date for one of our Elation cruises. The cruise had been cancelled, but because of low sales to that point we were able to re-book the same rooms and make the final payment. I think we were two days late. This experience ^ by no means is policy but rather situation based. If the cruise is in "prime time" she very well could lose the cruise date. Also, if she booked ES she could/would be assessed a $50 change fee. Certainly I would call if I was her today.

This person doesn't have a credit card she can pay it with and then pay the credit card the next day? If no credit company is willing to give them a card I sure as heck wouldn't be willing to "Loan" them $500.

Now having said that, they usually allow a 2 day grace period but then they would have to be able to charge a card number that amount so that it is actually PAID on the "grace period day" either way they would need a card number to pull this off...

Sounds like a story to me.

Unless she calls and makes arrangements with Carnival, the reservation will automatically cancel and she will lose her deposit. If she tries to rebook, the rate she originally booked at may not be available.

I would call and ask. I do know that they CAN change the payment due date. I had a situation where I booked a cruise about 6 weeks before sailing and paid in full. A little bit afterwards an aft wrap canceled and I called to upgrade to that cabin. I wanted to pay by e-check because I did not use credit cards at that time. She took the e-check and then changed the date manually so that my reservation would not fall off due to "non-payment of the new balance due" in other word's the time it took the echeck to clear. They definitely have the ability to simply change the due date in the computer :o

Edited by Athankfulheart

We had a similar experience on our upcoming cruise. Final payment was due August 5th but we got paid on August 7th/8th. I called my PVP and asked if it would be a problem if we paid off the cruise a few days late. He said it wouldn't be a problem, and it wasn't.

Yes, Carnival will extend by a day or 2 if they know.

I have never heard of a Cruise being cancelled without warning because of a late payment.

TA's are told they have 5 business days to get the money pd

Amazing to me why someone who has a cruise booked doesn't have the funds to pay for it.

Best to pay with a credit card anyway

Edited by SeaUs

In my youth, I would pay all my bills at like 9pm the night before payday via check, by the time it cleared, the money was in the bank for it.

I suppose it all depens on how your payday works, most direct deposit hits the night before, and she can call carnival in the weee hours, say she's in hawaii where it's 8pm, and pay it.

Thanks all for your advice. I just had her in to read it and she plans to call and get an extension (she knew I was NOT going to lend her $500!). :p

For all the judgy-mic-judgers on here: Yes I agree it makes no sense to book a cruise that you cannot afford..however- teachers get paid once a month and for those new to the profession ...it is hard to get a handle on that and money is often gone before the next month rolls along. Even after 18 years as a teacher I wish we got paid weekly or bi-weekly like the rest of the public does! :rolleyes:

Thanks all for your advice. I just had her in to read it and she plans to call and get an extension (she knew I was NOT going to lend her $500!). :p

For all the judgy-mic-judgers on here: Yes I agree it makes no sense to book a cruise that you cannot afford..however- teachers get paid once a month and for those new to the profession ...it is hard to get a handle on that and money is often gone before the next month rolls along. Even after 18 years as a teacher I wish we got paid weekly or bi-weekly like the rest of the public does! :rolleyes:

Teachers are not the only ones who get paid once a month. My DH and I both get paid once a month on the same day (we work for the state) and although it took awhile in the beginning, we learned to manage and still take cruises with final payment dates in the middle of the month. Easy answer, pay them off with the payday that is PRIOR to the final payment date instead of the one that is AFTER :).

I'm sure that Carnival will work with her if she calls them before hand :).

I once screwed up and missed the date and realized it about a week later.

Cruise had been cancelled but pvp got a supervisor to reinstate our booking.

Learned a very good lesson that day.

I would tell your friend/associate to call immediately and request an extension.

I am going to put my flame retardant suit on now before I say this

if you need your next paycheck to pay off your cruise, then I think you need to get some financial planning in place. It's one thing to live paycheck to paycheck to pay for NECESSITIES, it's another to do it for a vacation. I truly feel sorry for people who are spending their only liquid funds on a vacation (must be why I didn't take a vacation for 15 years in the 1980's-1990's)

I am going to put my flame retardant suit on now before I say this

if you need your next paycheck to pay off your cruise, then I think you need to get some financial planning in place. It's one thing to live paycheck to paycheck to pay for NECESSITIES, it's another to do it for a vacation. I truly feel sorry for people who are spending their only liquid funds on a vacation (must be why I didn't take a vacation for 15 years in the 1980's-1990's)

Thanks for the sage advice (which I tend to agree with)..I will however NOT pass it onto this 23 year old co-worker. :rolleyes: I chose not to advice her about that part because she is an "adult" and NOT MY PROBLEM or my child... I didn't feel my opinion was warranted..or asked for. I am kinda the "travel agent" at our school so she asked me thinking I might know the answer..I did not..so I asked you all. She has a 2 day extension...and I am now done with the entire situation .... :p

So I have an opposite question. We're chipping away at our final payment (we have until Dec.30) but given December can be a crazy spending month - we do want to have it paid off 'early'. So .. if something comes up in December and we end up having to cancel (before or original final payment due date) would we still be eligible for full refund even though the cruise is paid in full by that point? (I know if we cancel before Dec. 30 we get our refundable deposit back - ) but - what if we pay it off early?

I see that you are from Canada so I don't know if the rules are different from the US but here if you have booked a fare that is refundable up until final payment date then yes if you cancel prior to final payment date you can be refunded even if paid in full. I've had to do that one time and the refund was credited back to the credit card I paid with. If you're paying cash then I imagine they'd send a check.

Amazing to me why someone who has a cruise booked doesn't have the funds to pay for it.

Best to pay with a credit card anyway

I understand where you're coming from, but.......

Not everyone has or wants to use a credit card.

Sometimes things come up in life that limit your saving ability or unexpected emergencies arise that may set you back.

And - some people simply over-extend themselves no matter what.......

pbmsmile,

Call and explain the circumstance and they will extend the date. On two previous occasions I have requested and received extensions, but not for the same reason as your friend; I pay off our cruises with my Carnival MasterCard to earn double FunPoints, but on two occasions I didn't start paying soon enough to allow time for each payment to clear and also paid for airfare with the same card. The airfare was expensive on those two occasions and maxed out the card so I had to pay the balance down to zero to make room for paying for the cruise. I only use our Carnival MasterCard to pay for cruises and cruise expenses so I can earn points from cruising for OBC or cruises.

They did ask if I could pay with an alternate card and I indicated that I could, but did not want to; they were accommodating on both occasions.

We normally book airfare whenever the prices are the best and on those two occasions, it just happened at the wrong time for paying off the cruise.

Like many people we never pay for our cruises until right before the due date, but that doesn't mean the funds aren't available. Purchasing Carnival stock for the OBC and then selling to pay off a cruise has been enjoyable on several occasions, but can also lead to delays if the price isn't more than we paid for it.