Is class distinction alive and well on X?

shot2bits

So the 'class system' is alive and well then?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am surprised at that answer from a fellow Brit. It is our colonial cousins who usually confuse money with class. The "class system" is about differentiating according to your social status - difficult to change no matter how much money you spend and taken to the extremes in the Indian caste system. What Celebrity, airlines, etc base their system on is money.

Edited by Project_gal

I am surprised at that answer from a fellow Brit. It is our colonial cousins who usually confuse money with class. The "class system" is about differentiating according to your social status - difficult to change no matter how much money you spend and taken to the extremes in the Indian caste system. What Celebrity, airlines, etc base their system on is money.

And it is so terribly base is'nt it.

Yet Celebrity does refer to that differentiation as " class " , as in Aqua class. That's the only reason that we refer to it that way. Concierge class, and now Suite class.

It's not referred to as Aqua Caste....:). But it might as well....

Yet Celebrity does refer to that differentiation as " class " , as in Aqua class. That's the only reason that we refer to it that way. Concierge class, and now Suite class.

Always hard to tell if you are being cheeky with posts like this, but I do think you are smart enough to know the difference between between a "class" system and "paying for what you get." However, you continue to propagate and inflame this thread to the contrary.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Thank you.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

"Class" has many different meanings but the usual definition of "class system" relates to "social class". An airline is not usually referred to as having a "class system" and, as "classes" on airlines are similar to those on Celebrity, Celebrity would not be operating a "class system" by the usual [i think you may say "regular" rather than usual in the USA] definition of such a system.

I am really enjoying the evolution of this thread and my thanks to Project_gal and Babyher as both your comments are so on the money and made me smile.

To those who feel that Celebrity is operating a class system, please come and spend some time in the UK where there is a very real social class system in operation. Social class distinctions can be very nuanced and judged by everything from whether you hold your knife like a pen, where you live, which supermarket you use to do your weekly food shop, (Waitrose or Asda), to where you educate your children (free or fee-paying), how you pronounce the word scone, do you have tea or supper, the list goes on. There are still some parts of society were no amount of money will grant you access. To anyone who follows the British Royal Family, you only have to look at the comments following the engagement and marriage of the Duchess of Cambridge to Prince William and all the comments about her mother's humble origins (she grew up in what you would call the projects) to see that although her parents are wealthy there are some who think Prince William married down.

Now to the best of my recollection, Celebrity did not any questions about my social status nor whether my husband knows how to tie a full or half Windsor knot, when I made my booking. As Babyher points out, admission is open to all as long as your plastic can take the punishment.

I can only guess that as night follows day that as the launch of Suite Class gets closer, there will be more and more of this type of thread. I am still unsure when people start these threads what outcome they are actively seeking. Do they want Celebrity not to implement Suite Class, are they going to leave and sail with another cruise line or is it sport to see how folks will respond?

What is clear is that Celebrity fully intends to add this new cruise class and they are already pricing cruises accordingly. My own 2015 Baltic cruise currently has S1 cabins priced at over £10,000 (approx. $16,000) for 14 nights for 2 people.

One of the mysteries I ponder late at night when I can't sleep is why so many folks book suites on Celebrity rather than sailing on other cruise lines which offer a "better" cruise experience (in other words, moving from a mass market cruise line to a luxury or semi-luxury cruise line). Clearly (at least to me late at night) Celebrity is trying to create a seaborn, crystal or at least an azamara, oceania experience on the larger ship. To me, it's a bit like moving up from a Toyota Camry to a Toyota Avalon when you could buy a mercedes/etc for almost the same price.

I'm not really trying to flame class wars here....but just poking at why folks book a suite on celebrity in the first place, given the prices they are trying to charge. I did understand paying for more physical space...but when they increase the price and try to mimic the "better" cruise lines, I get confused.

Edited by ghstudio

One of the mysteries I ponder late at night when I can't sleep is why so many folks book suites on Celebrity rather than sailing on other cruise lines which offer a "better" cruise experience (in other words, moving from a mass market cruise line to a luxury or semi-luxury cruise line). Clearly (at least to me late at night) Celebrity is trying to create a seaborn, crystal or at least an azamara, oceania experience on the larger ship. To me, it's a bit like moving up from a Toyota Camry to a Toyota Avalon when you could buy a mercedes/etc for almost the same price.

I'm not really trying to flame class wars here....but just poking at why folks book a suite on celebrity in the first place, given the prices they are trying to charge. I did understand paying for more physical space...but when they increase the price and try to mimic the "better" cruise lines, I get confused.

For us, there are three reasons:

1. We like the Celebrity product and the people we meet on board Celebrity ship. See he post immediately prior to yours and that may help to explain why we would not necessarily fee; comfortable on some of the "better" ships.

2. In our opinion, you get a better suite for your money on a Celebrity ship that on the "better" ship.

3. We love the experience when we book a top suite on a Celebrity ship.

I am really enjoying the evolution of this thread and my thanks to Project_gal and Babyher as both your comments are so on the money and made me smile.

To those who feel that Celebrity is operating a class system, please come and spend some time in the UK where there is a very real social class system in operation. Social class distinctions can be very nuanced and judged by everything from whether you hold your knife like a pen, where you live, which supermarket you use to do your weekly food shop, (Waitrose or Asda), to where you educate your children (free or fee-paying), how you pronounce the word scone, do you have tea or supper, the list goes on. There are still some parts of society were no amount of money will grant you access. To anyone who follows the British Royal Family, you only have to look at the comments following the engagement and marriage of the Duchess of Cambridge to Prince William and all the comments about her mother's humble origins (she grew up in what you would call the projects) to see that although her parents are wealthy there are some who think Prince William married down.

Now to the best of my recollection, Celebrity did not any questions about my social status nor whether my husband knows how to tie a full or half Windsor knot, when I made my booking. As Babyher points out, admission is open to all as long as your plastic can take the punishment.

I can only guess that as night follows day that as the launch of Suite Class gets closer, there will be more and more of this type of thread. I am still unsure when people start these threads what outcome they are actively seeking. Do they want Celebrity not to implement Suite Class, are they going to leave and sail with another cruise line or is it sport to see how folks will respond?

What I also have trouble in understanding is why so many people from the USA have trouble with Celebrity offering the new "suite class". I always understood that the "American Dream" is that anyone despite their status at birth can, by hard work, succeed in life and buy the luxuries they aspire to.

What I also have trouble in understanding is why so many people from the USA have trouble with Celebrity offering the new "suite class". I always understood that the "American Dream" is that anyone despite their status at birth can, by hard work, succeed in life and buy the luxuries they aspire to.

That used to be the way things were here . When my grandparents came here and how mt parents and myself were raised.

These days everyone is owed something. Or at least they think they are.

You're supposed to feel guilty that you have a beautiful house and a nice car and get to vacation a lot and have nice things no matter how hard you worked for them , because some bum who has been on the dole all his life doesn't .

that used to be the way things were here . When my grandparents came here and how mt parents and myself were raised.

You're supposed to feel guilty that you have a beautiful house and a nice car and get to vacation a lot and have nice things no matter how hard you worked for them , because some bum who has been on the dole all his life doesn't .

amen !

That used to be the way things were here . When my grandparents came here and how mt parents and myself were raised.

Couldn't agree more!

One of the mysteries I ponder late at night when I can't sleep is why so many folks book suites on Celebrity rather than sailing on other cruise lines which offer a "better" cruise experience (in other words, moving from a mass market cruise line to a luxury or semi-luxury cruise line). Clearly (at least to me late at night)

Could it be that they feel "better" than the rest of us in lower class cabins rather than feeling "equal" on the luxury line. On Celebrity they can flaunt their suite status when they are entering their private venues or looking down on the less fortunate from their reserved section at the shows. On a luxury line they would be nothing "special".

We choose celebrity because we want to get rid of some riff raff that travel carnival and royal. When one chooses this line they should dress and act accordingly.

Goodness! Snark? Satire?

Edit: Not wanting to accuse anyone summarily, I browsed through a couple of your previous posts.

Definitely snark.

And since you haven't sailed =X=, can give you some background. We've sailed them 200+ days and have had some wonderful experiences. Have also had something happen twice on Celebrity that NEVER happened on the OMG!! Riff raff cruise lines like RCCL, Carnival, NCL, Costa...being awoken by loud drunks at 2 and 3 AM in the hallway.

Edited by ECCruise

Goodness! Snark? Satire?

Edit: Not wanting to accuse anyone summarily, I browsed through a couple of your previous posts.

Definitely snark.

And since you haven't sailed =X=, can give you some background. We've sailed them 200+ days and have had some wonderful experiences. Have also had something happen twice on Celebrity that NEVER happened on the OMG!! Riff raff cruise lines like RCCL, Carnival, NCL, Costa...being awoken by loud drunks at 2 and 3 AM in the hallway.

I will be sailing next month so I hope to report that i have a better experience then i did on royal. which wasnt bad but there was too much under dressing and bad manners for my taste.

I will be sailing next month so I hope to report that i have a better experience then i did on royal. which wasnt bad but there was too much under dressing and bad manners for my taste.

All I can tell you is that Celebrity is just another mass market line. Thinking otherwise is folly. Yes, you may not see as much "under dressing" (but you will see some, horrors!) but we've seen plenty of rudeness.

I am sure the riff raff are pleased to get rid of you too

I am sure the poster of that comment meant it tongue in cheek....but if you can define what "riff raff" means to you, I think you'll find just as many that fit your definition on Celebrity as on any of the other mass market cruise lines....and I think you'll find them in suites and interior cabins on all the cruise lines.

To me a class act is a class act....and purchasing a label (as in suite class) doesn't change the person. I've met so many really classy and interesting folks who book inside cabins. I've met folks who have booked suites and expect their own personal slave to be assigned to them for the cruise. Money does not buy class...it just buys the superficial accouterments of class.

Suite class is a level of service and cabin size....which has nothing at all, in my mind, with "class"....or "riff raff".

I am sure the poster of that comment meant it tongue in cheek....but if you can define what "riff raff" means to you, I think you'll find just as many that fit your definition on Celebrity as on any of the other mass market cruise lines....and I think you'll find them in suites and interior cabins on all the cruise lines.

To me a class act is a class act....and purchasing a label (as in suite class) doesn't change the person. I've met so many really classy and interesting folks who book inside cabins. I've met folks who have booked suites and expect their own personal slave to be assigned to them for the cruise. Money does not buy class...it just buys the superficial accouterments of class.

Suite class is a level of service and cabin size....which has nothing at all, in my mind, with "class"....or "riff raff".

this is true, i book inside as i love getting a deal however i dress and act accordingly. I have seen some in suite with the table manners of a demented warthog.

That's why my upcoming cruise in Oct-Nov ( in a suite ) is my last for the foreseeable future on Celebrity. We book a suite because we both used to cruise solo and got used to having our own cabins ,now that we sail together a larger space is easier. ( we met on Celebrity btw ). It's certainly not for any " class " distinction.

Sky suites " used " to go for about $500 per night. A cabin on Seabourne goes for about $900. The cabin on Seabourne is slightly smaller than a Sky suite, but is all inclusive, on a smaller ship that visits better ports.

Now that Celebrity suite prices are selling for close to 8-900$ per night, with only a basic alcohol package, the switch to a smaller, more luxurious line with exponentially better food was a no brainer.

I will try Celebrity again, to check out the new suite restaurant but probably not until 2016 since I've filled my 2015 cruise itinerary already. I find it hard to believe that Celebrity would staff their kitchen with the type of talent that could cook food that's in the class of the higher end cruise lines. But I'm hoping I'm wrong. Im Elite+ and would still like to sail on Celebrity if it was the same value as it used to be before the fare increases.

Edited by Kevnzworld

I know exactly what you mean and I know people who fall into both categories. A lady I used to work with used to say "Some people spell class with a capitol K" which meant they know all about it(or think they do) , but they sure don't have it themselves.

In Italian we call people like that a Caffone (sp) . My dad used to say the definition of a caffone is a guy who owns a solid gold pen and a library full of rare first edition books, and he can't read or write

All I can tell you is that Celebrity is just another mass market line. Thinking otherwise is folly. Yes, you may not see as much "under dressing" (but you will see some, horrors!) but we've seen plenty of rudeness.

Of course there will always be some bobo's that make you shake your head no matter which line you choose, I am hoping for less that is all and a little better quality experience then royal.