Disembarking question

kaluna621

We are cruising on Regal Princess first Ft. Laurderale trip on 11/6. We have taken Royal Carribbean out of FTL and it is typcially a mess getting out of there. There is a 9:05 flight out and my question is do you think we would have any chance of getting off the boat and to the airport to make that time?

We are cruising on Regal Princess first Ft. Laurderale trip on 11/6. We have taken Royal Carribbean out of FTL and it is typcially a mess getting out of there. There is a 9:05 flight out and my question is do you think we would have any chance of getting off the boat and to the airport to make that time?

NOPE. You just can't tell when customs will clear. Also, generally, and very generally speaking, luggage must be checked at least 45 minutes prior to departure. It would take about a minimum on an exceptional day 15 minutes to the airport from the pier. Since we lived in Boca have taken many cruises out of Port Everglades and clearing customs to start disembarkation was usually around 8 at the earliest. So that is why I say, "NOPE."

Pooh

If you own 100 shares of CCL stock, you should also be able to get a room credit for the one night cruise. Used it a few years ago on the same itinerary. Makes a a cheap cruise with the credit and mini bar set up.

Wrong thread, should be under the "One Night Cruise" comments.

We had a 11:00 am flight and missed it. Late Customs clearance, late disembarking and NO taxis. After standing in the taxi line for almost 2 hours, we grabbed a private shuttle for more than we would have paid with Princess. There were 6 ships in port, so that caused the delays.

Depending on your travel dates and your personal schedule, you might consider researching the cost of flights departing FLL the day after you disembark.

Many times the early flights out of FLL are lower priced fares, flights departing after 11am tend to be higher because of the demand by that days cruise passenger traffic.

We have found that over half the time we can easily save $$ on the cost of flying the next day and then use that savings to cover hotel for the night.

It makes disembarkation and getting to the airport the following morning very stress free!

Do you mean the day after you leave the ship? sure.

But if you mean the day you disembark, then at least the stress will be over quickly. You will miss the flight and just hang around all day hoping for an available seat home.

Which you may not get on the same day because planes tend to fly full these days so you will end up staying overnight in Florida (a fate worse than death) until they find you a seat on the plane. Or if you do get a flight on the same day, one of you may end up in a middle seat in the back of the plane somewhere near the toilet with non-reclining seats and the other person will be sitting in a middle seat somewhere else on the plan. Since you will be one of the last people people to board the plane, you can assume that all the overhead storage will be full so everything will be checked including your valuables that you normally carry on.

Note to the OP - get my drift? You are insane to try to make the flight.

DON

Any cruise we have taken from PE, we have made as our own rule, no flight before noon. Anything earlier and you will be pressing it.

We are also on the 11/6 Regal sailing (as well as the 11/9 after). Have you joined our Roll Call? We have quite a group forming.

We had a 11:00 am flight and missed it. Late Customs clearance, late disembarking and NO taxis. After standing in the taxi line for almost 2 hours, we grabbed a private shuttle for more than we would have paid with Princess. There were 6 ships in port, so that caused the delays.

I have read here so many times -- that there is no problem

getting a cab in Ft. Lauderdale...

It's nice to come back to reality once in a while...

I have read here so many times -- that there is no problem

getting a cab in Ft. Lauderdale...

It's nice to come back to reality once in a while...

Indeed, there usually is no problem, but we have had a few times with very long waits for a cab. Never had a problem when we were returning to Pier 2, the other Princess piers, we have had problems.....sometimes.

You can sometimes get off as early as 7:30, but I would never consider a 9:00 flight. You live in Florida? Drive. ;)

I agree that getting a cab is usually fine--no more than a 10-15 minute wait. But we have had a couple of instances when it's been much longer. One was a couple of years ago on a HAL cruise. It docked next to one of the monstrosities of the seas and a Celebrity ship. All three ships were sharing one cab line. We had about a 45-minute wait that time. The other time was when Port Everglades set a record with 15 cruise ships in port (Dec. 21, 2003). That time we had a 2-hour wait but did not mind since we were staying over a night to take a less expensive flight.