formal night - pictures of what you're wearning?

pamyla

The dress I am wearing at my Mardi Gras Party (I have on the 1/2 sun mask) in the webshots site in my siggie will most likely go on my cruise to Alaska in May. When you click on my link, look in the Mardi Gras Party 2004 Album.

I'll try to scan some of my past cruise dress pictures this weekend and post them.

Natalie

Superstar Leo to Alaska 5/22/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;22;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800http://community.webshots.com/user/natalunia

bananatami, your dresses are beautiful!!!

<font color="#0000CC" face="Lydian Csv BT" size="4">~~Shelia~~</font></p>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

Wow!!! Those are *gorgeous* dresses! Thanks so much for sharing. And I'm glad I asked cause I wouldn't have packed something that formal - I might have to go shopping now icon_razz.gif

I'd love to see more!!

I am going on my first cruise in three weeks and I have been very anxiously reading all these boards. I really want to fit in and don't want to offend anyone, but want to keep budget and personality in mind too. I am not, and never have been a sequins and glitter kind of girl. Not for prom, wedding or any reason. I have chosen a simple, long black crepe dress, spaghetti straps with sparkly jewelry and strappy sandals. I will be very dressed up, for me, and I think it will be fine. I do want to make an observation however.

I look at the gorgeous, very formal dresses posted on this thread, and read the very adamant comments about formal dress on the other threads. My dress is not nearly as fancy as those. Then, I go and look at people's cruise pictures from various links, and I almost never see dresses like you all are showing/describing. I am sure they must be there, but it seems like the majority dress a bit more simply.

As I have nothing to go on from personal experience as I have not cruised yet, I don't know what to mnake of this. Any thoughts?

Mary

<FONT SIZE="5"><FONT COLOR="#000000">Bill & Mary</FONT></FONT>

<FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">Golden Princess: May 9, 2004</FONT></FONT>

(A 25th Anniversary First Cruise.... Everyone has to start Somewhere!)

Leaving ON:

<FONT SIZE="4"><span style="border:blue double 5px;"><span style="background-color:#000066;"><tt><FONT COLOR="#33CCFF">~ 5/9/04 at 11:00p.m. {No Countdown Clock: You Figure It Out} ~</span></span></FONT></FONT></tt></p>

hiicon_smile.gif you are going to see LOTS of different types of formal wear on a cruise.

These boards are just a very very small % of the people who cruise.

Some folks on the ship (many of them) have never heard of Cruise Critic.

I think you will look fine in your black dressicon_smile.gif.

There are plenty of ladies and gents who

go that "sparkly" way..but others go more

simple and tailored.

I have learned alot from the gals on here.

My suggestion is to definitely "be

yourself"icon_smile.gif...and you sound like you are

doing that already!

I am sure you will look beautiful!

Have a wonderful cruise icon_biggrin.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Mary, I am with you, I really don't like sequined or beaded dresses. I usually pick something in a really nice fabric (crepe, peau de soi <sp?>, satins, silk) and it might have minimal beading or a fancy detail (brooch or pin).

I have always gone with shorter cocktail dresses for my cruises. I think my past pageant days made me tired of wearing the long gowns. On our Hawaii cruise I wore a nude colored, stretch lace, off the shoulder, 3/4 length sleeve dress that was knee length for formal night. I wore my pearls with it. (I will try to get the pic scanned this weekend) I bought that at The White House/Black Market. They always have nice cocktail dresses that are classy (only in black, and shades of white) and not too frou-frou.

I have seen everything on formal night... the long extravagant ball gowns to a nice Sunday dress. I just try to dress comfortably and where I don't have to pack too much or worry wbout wrinkling my dresses.

I own the long ball gowns (for Mardi Gras Balls and other formal occasions that require it, but I don't want to pack those as they take up too much space for me.

Natalie

Superstar Leo to Alaska 5/22/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;22;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800http://community.webshots.com/user/natalunia

I don't know if this will work but I will try.

http://www192.pair.com/rmodel/aw2k/LotImg21466.jpg

http://www192.pair.com/rmodel/aw2k/LotImg21465.jpg

http://www192.pair.com/rmodel/aw2k/LotImg21467.jpg

It's beaded silk. Heck I never have the opportunity to wear anything like this 'in the real world', so I figured what the hey. I am still shopping for dress #2 which may be something simplier, more tailored. Actually had one on ebay that I loved but waited too late to bid and now I could kick myself! Still lots of formals to choose from and many people on the boards have been kind enough to share all sorts of links to great close. It's hard NOT to buy!

I do have a question. I am cruising mid Sept, the Caribbean. How many ladies feel they need an evening wrap? I can remember it being so windy on deck but can't remember the interior room temperatures. What do you think?

tinsel57

suddenly i feel like i've been underdressed in the past.... wow! i'm on the search now for my dress for sept. and am having bad luck finding something i love. can we ask that everyone say where they got their dress when they post a pic of it? pretty please!? :-)

The 2 dresses that I posted I got from E-Bay. I have a 3rd, just no picture of it. For the 3 dresses i spent a total fo $68.32 and thats with shipping. that ends up being about $22.77 per dress! the third dress I got was coustom made for a bridesmaid and is an EXACT knock off of the dress Julia Roberts wore in Pretty Woman when she went to the opra! I love it!!!!! who doesnt want to look just like Julia on that fantastic night to the opra?!?!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL DESTINY~

tinsel...the dress is beautifulicon_smile.gif

And I am sure you will look

marvelous..

Maybe a few more posts and we can

get this on to page 2

so it won't be so hard to read and

not take up so much space icon_wink.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi

don't know if this will work--I just uploaded these. These are some of what I will pick from for December. I also have a beaded top and long skirt with charmeuse overskirt (also black) and another beaded jacket that is burgandy and black--no pictures of those yet.

Piper

sailing on the Elation 12/19/2004

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;12;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

[This message was edited by PiperMcB on 04-16-04 at 04:51 PM.]

[This message was edited by PiperMcB on 04-16-04 at 04:53 PM.]

Sunlovy

You know I thought long and hard before doing this because it really is a bit of an extravagance. I mean I can't exactly wear this thing to the grocery store when I get home! And for heaven sake, I own a pet sitting business! I will have NOOOO use for this thing there LOL! It's been a very long time since I cruised and local people have been saying so many people are dressing down so I thought oh my, maybe no fancy dress this time, But I read the boards for a long time, I looked at everyone's pictures and everyone is right, there's everything! So, I said fine, I want the dress, I am getting the dress!! Tons of discussion on Capri's and jeans and people that don't want to dress and kids wandering decks late at night in pj's.. heck if that doens't mean people are doing whatever they want I don't know what does.

Well, this is what I want. bananatami is correct, at least from where I am sitting, I want to look like Pretty Women (ok I am in the realm of fiction now!) In fact the red dress I didn't get reminded me very much of the dress she wore to the opera, so I know bananatami, you will indeed be very lovely. Sunlovy, just do what you feel comfortable with.

Lori, thank you and Piper, love that name, I couldn't get the page to load.

As I said I am still searching for dress 2. Lots of dress sites that people have listed in this category. If not ebay, check out some of the other posts for dress sites, I forgot who, but it was just yesterday so it can't be too far down.. really nice looking dresses $79 and up. A beautiful red one but it was more than I want to pay. So I am still hunting!!

tinsel57

OMG!!! icon_eek.gif I LOVE the peacock dress! I collect peacock items but it is a little pricey for my budget minded self.

I usually go more simple for formal night as well. Have only done shorter cruises and I think they may not be as formal on formal night?? I have usually chosen a knee length sheath type dress. This year I have a cocktail length dress that is black,blue, silverly--not sequined, just shiny material. It is very simple but, very pretty just the same. I'll add black and silver jewlery to compliment it.

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

Archived