Ultimate Dining Package Gratuities

ericsilv3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this has been asked before and there is a article in cruise critic saying that tipping is not required but on the FAQ page on NCL site they say

"Q. ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

A. No. If you wish to recognize the crew for their service, you may do so at time of service using the gratuity line on the check. Plus, a beverage gratuity of 15% will automatically be added to all beverage sales"

So I am paying a service charge for my servers already for dinner that I wont be using in main dining room do I tip like in Europe Leaving an additional 5% or like in USA 15-20 %

I believe NCL daily service covers all waitstaff in dining that includes specialty. So if wish to tip more or not, that's your choice. The customary tip in the US is usually $2-6 for a $40 or under meal or round up/down the amount of tax charged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this has been asked before and there is a article in cruise critic saying that tipping is not required but on the FAQ page on NCL site they say

A. No. If you wish to recognize the crew for their service, you may do so at time of service using the gratuity line on the check. Plus, a beverage gratuity of 15% will automatically be added to all beverage sales"

So I am paying a service charge for my servers already for dinner that I wont be using in main dining room do I tip like in Europe Leaving an additional 5% or like in USA 15-20 %

When you've purchased the UDP, and you don't order a beverage that requires additional payment, how are you even presented with a bill (invoice)?

When you've purchased the UDP, and you don't order a beverage that requires additional payment, how are you even presented with a bill (invoice)?

I would imagine in case you desire to leave a gratuity that is placed on your account instead of leaving cash. Just a guess.

1. Yes, the specialty restaurants are included in the daily service charge. Whatever they receive extra as tip from satisfied guests because of the extraordinary service they usually provide, comes on top of the DSC. (My impression is that the best waiters are the ones working in the specialty restaurant, they usually start in the MDR, and then they work their way up to specialty restaurants).

2. I believe that even though you have purchased the UDP, the restaurant still need to "prove" that you had your specialty dinner in that particular restaurant on board - therefore you have to sign the bill even if it says 0 (zero).

3. You are not obliged to leave extra tip when having dinner in one of the specialty restaurants, but many do. Just because of the great service provided. We usually have something to drink as well, and then we just round up the amount on the bill if we want to tip extra. (It might be anything from $2 up to $10 per dinner for 2, depending on the service provided. On the rare occasions where we have received service below par in a specialty restaurant, then we don't tip extra - especially since we know the waiter is covered under the DSC anyway). On our upcoming cruise in a couple of weeks, we will have the UDP ourselves for the first time - my guess is that we will tip as usually (like stated above). And if there is one waiter/waitress who stands out during our 17 days cruise, we will probably tip him/her extra on the last night as well. But like I said above - it is entirely up to you what you choose to do. They are not having you signing the "zero bill" to force you to pay tip - they just need your signature to keep some kind of record of where you have had your UDP dinner, and at the same time they give you an opportunity to tip extra if you want to.

Edited by TrumpyNor

I would imagine in case you desire to leave a gratuity that is placed on your account instead of leaving cash. Just a guess.

We sometimes left cash, sometimes put it on our cabin account. Depended if I remembered to put cash in my pocket!

You should do whatever you would do if you did not do UDP and were "paying" at that meal. It's no different, you just paid in advance. Now, if your question is about tipping generally in the specialty restaurants, that is entirely up to you and a personal preference.