Menus in Alaska

lauren0309

I think there was one different menu in the MDR but most were similar.

They did offer more 'local' options in the buffet and there was an alaskan specific buffet one day on the pool deck as well.

Are the menus different on ships going to Alaska than the Caribbean. I would think more fish is served.
Edited by Loonbeam

How long ago was this. Under current food service rules, chef's are not supposed to allow anything in the kitchens not sourced by a vetted supplier that meets HAACP among other guidelines.

On our Alaskan cruise one of our travel buddies brought back a large salmon he caught and Princess did a great job cooking it for us!! So go fishing!

There used to be a few different menus featuring Alaskan and West Coast items. There was also a breakfast menu that included an Alaskan Scramble, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. At the Trident Grill late one afternoon on a Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary there was a fish fry that included items like fried oysters, crab cakes and several other items....my focus was mainly the oysters.

You will probably have Alaskan Amber or some such beer offered that isn't on other cruise itineraries.
They also have a page of specialty cocktails with names like Alaskan Chocolate Mudslide, Ultimate Alaskan Coffee, Skagway Spiced Apple, Frozen Grizzly Bear, etc. :p

As far as food goes, I think they tend to keep the options the same across all of their cruises. In part, because people want to find their favorite Princess food on every ship (at least in North America), and in part because they are simply not set up to bring in lots of fresh, local food at every port. So just because you are cruising to Alaska, don't expect necessarily to eat any Alaskan fish and meat on board.

How long ago was this. Under current food service rules, chef's are not supposed to allow anything in the kitchens not sourced by a vetted supplier that meets HAACP among other guidelines.

Regarding kitchen cooking caught salmon, one of my group got a salmon on a Princess fishing excursion and he took the option of having the kitchen prepare it for dinner. This was just a couple of weeks ago on the Golden. It was phenomenal. I imagine it isn't done all that often as a lot of waiters from other sections came by to get a look of the salmon.

Jackie

You will probably have Alaskan Amber or some such beer offered that isn't on other cruise itineraries.

They have had Alaskan Amber and Alaskan Summer on all of our cruises. Try them both!

Otherwise, the dining room menus are nearly identical to those posted here from other itineraries. We did have crab leg appetizer one night, which others say they have not seen elsewhere. Eat in port if you want more seafood. We enjoyed Annabelle's in Ketchikan. My son said their seafood chowder was fantastic!

My memory is that on every cruise there is one, sometimes two, seafood main dishes every night, and often a seafood appetizer too (not to mention the salmon on the Always Available menu), so you could conceivably eat seafood every night, anyway. And my memory also is that I've heard people complain about "all the seafood on Princess' menus."

Edited by shepp

Okay, since the vendor had a contract with Princess that could include certain handling rules, I could see that.

Regarding kitchen cooking caught salmon, one of my group got a salmon on a Princess fishing excursion and he took the option of having the kitchen prepare it for dinner. This was just a couple of weeks ago on the Golden. It was phenomenal. I imagine it isn't done all that often as a lot of waiters from other sections came by to get a look of the salmon.

Jackie

We were on pacific princess in July. On the evening we were late in port (Juneau) the dinner menu had a lot of Alaskan seafood items - even king crab in the shell. It was fabulous & the dining room was not busy at all that night. ( they had open seating for that one night instead of 2 sittings as so many people stayed ashore late).

My memory is that on every cruise there is one, sometimes two, seafood main dishes every night, and often a seafood appetizer too (not to mention the salmon on the Always Available menu), so you could conceivably eat seafood every night, anyway. And my memory also is that I've heard people complain about "all the seafood on Princess' menus."

Oh, you certainly can eat seafood every night. My son and his best friend did exactly that this summer in Alaska. Often they had seafood appetizers and/or seafood soups as well as a fish main course.

You can see what we ate this summer in Alaska here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126441386@N03/sets/72157645562631820/

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise. Normally we eat in the MDR every nite but we didn't like the food there at all this trip. We only ate in the MDR one nite, did the buffet 3 nites and room service 3 nites so we could sit on the balcony and whale watch while we ate.

• 2 weeks later...