What was the best gift you got at a CC gift exchange?

marshacruises

I am participating in my first CC gift exchange and cannot come up with something that would be appropriate and appreciated. So, I am asking you what you got, or saw someone else get, at an on-board gift exchange that you really like. I am not looking for complaints, just things that people really like. Thanks:)

The thought of having to find a gift for a total stranger would have me running from a roll call. It's not for me. Oh if only a Meet and Greet could be just that - to meet and greet fellow forum posters without commitment or obligation. :(

I have never participated before, but decided to try something different this cruise and be a part of the gift exchange. We will be exchanging after the ship's official meet and mingle, so no one there will feel left out. There is no obligation to bring a gift, unless you want to receive a gift too!

The thought of having to find a gift for a total stranger would have me running from a roll call. It's not for me. Oh if only a Meet and Greet could be just that - to meet and greet fellow forum posters without commitment or obligation. :(

I agree completely...not for me. I have enough to think about without having the extra task of picking out a gift for a stranger.

I hope others have suggestions for you.

I agree completely...not for me. I have enough to think about without having the extra task of picking out a gift for a stranger.

I hope others have suggestions for you.

Ayup!

Ours wasn't a gift exchange per se, but one of our roll call members is an experienced wood worker and he makes absolutely beautiful pens on his lathe.

Those of us who had been posting regularly got to pick from an assortment of beautiful pens that he hand made. I still have mine, and it could rival a Mont Blanc in beauty. Carry it with me every day since 2007.

Thanks Arvids!!!!

I am like you -- I haven't joined a Roll Call in years.

Don't like the idea of having to figure out gifts, don't like to play games and don't like cabin crawls.

I think I should clarify something - we didn't have a gift exchange at any of our Meet & Greets; one of the other cruisers gave it to me as a thank you for arranging the gathering for everyone. I would think if the roll call was small, a gift exchange could be arranged, but I've been part of some really large groups (60+) and can't imagine trying to organize something like that!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I think I should clarify something - we didn't have a gift exchange at any of our Meet & Greets; one of the other cruisers gave it to me as a thank you for arranging the gathering for everyone. I would think if the roll call was small, a gift exchange could be arranged, but I've been part of some really large groups (60+) and can't imagine trying to organize something like that!

From the one really big one I observed it was actually very easy. People who wished brought a wrapped gift ($5-$10)with their screen name inside which was placed on a table. Most couples only brought one gift. There was no signing up for it in advance. At the end of the M&G all who brought a gift drew a card from a shuffled deck. The one with the highest card picked a gift first, the next highest card went next, etc.

I didn't participate but it was fun to watch. :)

LuLu

You are under no obligation to participate. Just skip that part and leave others to enjoy.

You are under no obligation to participate. Just skip that part and leave others to enjoy.

I have to disagree with that point. Failing to participate in all the M&G events will label one as a party pooper at best or unappreciative of the organizer's efforts at worst. When a roll call indicates that these activities are scheduled, I choose to quietly drop out and let the others enjoy it. It's not for me.

Edited by BlueRiband

On Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara, you don't need to do the organizing. The cruise line does it for you. As long as 25 or more Cruise Critic members sign up on the cruise line web sites, they will arrange a gathering, typically with refreshments provided, hosted by the cruise director, and often with participation of senior officers, including the captain. Occasionally they will even have a complimentary bar set up.

Our next cruise on Celebrity has 45 people signed up for the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party so far, and we're still several months from sail date. All signed up for, and organized, through Celebrity's website - no one here is having to do the work.

It's one of the reasons my husband and I prefer this family of cruise lines. They are more customer focused than others we have cruised with.

Edited by PTMary

I have to disagree with that point. Failing to participate in all the M&G events will label one as a party pooper at best or unappreciative of the organizer's efforts at worst. When a roll call indicates that these activities are scheduled, I choose to quietly drop out and let the others enjoy it. It's not for me.

Hmmm - We've never felt that. In fact, just dropped out of a couple of the things we had signed up for on our next cruise. Even if we were looked upon as party poopers or whatever, we decide what we want to do and don't really worry about it. Our cruise, our decisions. Happy cruising - however or wherever you do it!

I have never participated before, but decided to try something different this cruise and be a part of the gift exchange. We will be exchanging after the ship's official meet and mingle, so no one there will feel left out. There is no obligation to bring a gift, unless you want to receive a gift too!

That's nice for all those who've posted they would NEVER participate in a gift exchange, but they sure aren't answering your question!!

We've done several exchanges and they've been much fun. In addition to the $ amount stipulated, the gifts were required to be representative of our hometown or country. Being from Cleveland OH, my go-to choices are a CD of the Cleveland Orchestra, or a DVD of the movie "Major League" or "Draft Day" (in the future) or the tv series "Hot in Cleveland". I would say "sports-team" related items are not fun to receive as we all have different loyalties. I would bring Buckeyes though (delicious candy that looks like the buckeye nut), and if I could transport it easily overseas, a bottle of Ohio wine.

In return, I've received a fine German-made waiter's corkscrew and a gift bag of assorted Australian items including hand-made soap and a linen towel.

Edited by TMLAalum

On Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara, you don't need to do the organizing. The cruise line does it for you. As long as 25 or more Cruise Critic members sign up on the cruise line web sites, they will arrange a gathering, typically with refreshments provided, hosted by the cruise director, and often with participation of senior officers, including the captain. Occasionally they will even have a complimentary bar set up.

This is also true of Holland America Lines, but as one who starts a roll call thread, I feel as though I am the host of that thread and try to maintain that by welcoming folks to the thread and keep it going. I also contact the cruise lines to secure a Meet & Greet site, and keep everyone apprised of the various tours, etc., that are being planned outside the ship's excursions. It isn't an onerous task, but it's one that I really enjoy. Cruising is fun, and part of the fun is in the planning!

We have not found this to be the case.

There have been times when the person who set up the M&G did not participate in the in the Gift Exchange. Another roll call member was in charge of that. They are immediately following the M&G, not part of the M&G.

When there were slot pull and/or cabin crawls, they were at completely different times. They were set up on the Roll Call but not part of the M&G.

These are extra things those on the Roll Call can do but only if they want to.

In fact, posting on the Roll Call in no way even obligates you to attend the M&G. :)

LuLu

Thank you for coming back and explaining.

Our next cruise on Celebrity has 45 people signed up for the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party so far, and we're still several months from sail date. All signed up for, and organized, through Celebrity's website - no one here is having to do the work.

It's one of the reasons my husband and I prefer this family of cruise lines. They are more customer focused than others we have cruised with.

Our experience includes two of the lines you mention. They do a nice job of the meet and mingle. NCL does a really great job for Cruise Critic organized meet and greets . . . at least equal too and arguably better than what the RCI family does.

We enjoy participating in the roll calls, regardless of the cruise line as well as meeting the people we have been chatting with irl at a meet and greet. Not really into gift exchanges or slot pulls, but have participated in cabin crawls, roll call shorexs and team trivia.

Since the original posting asked for ideas of gifts that were shared by those who did participate, I am hoping to get this back on track...The best gift I have seen is a professional photo book of the city the giver was living. The receiver had never been there and said they really enjoyed getting a flavor of the city from the photos.

I, too, would like to know more ideas of what to share with those who do want to exchange a gift.

I am participating in my first CC gift exchange and cannot come up with something that would be appropriate and appreciated. So, I am asking you what you got, or saw someone else get, at an on-board gift exchange that you really like. I am not looking for complaints, just things that people really like. Thanks:)

On a Christmas cruise, I got a sign that said, "Don't get your tinsel in a tangle!" I love the holidays and still adorn my tree with tinsel, so it was perfect! It hangs in my house every year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app