Your opinions needed..regarding suite questions

suamom

We have a cruise booked next summer to Alaska on the Radiance. We always book a balcony for my husband and I and an interior stateroom across the hall for our two daughters when we cruise as a family. We just found out that our oldest daughter who just graduated college will not be able to cruise with us on the Alaska sailing. If it was a Caribbean sailing, we would invite a friend for our 16 yr old but since it is Alaska, it will be the 3 of us sailing.

We are thinking about changing the two rooms to an Owner's Suite. The only suite we have stayed in, is the Junior Suite with myself and DH so I am not familiar with the size, amenities, etc. of the OS. Can anyone give me the details of the OS? Pictures please? The price would be approx $900. cheaper for the OS......

We are Diamond, if that matters.

Opinions please??

Edited by suamom
addition

I have stayed in OS's on Explorer, Radiance, Serenade and Grandeur. They are wonderful cabins. They are much larger than a JS and come with a number of amenities that are not even included in a GS, like the whirlpool tub, upgraded TV and sound systems. Also, you get a "Gold Card" with the OS and all the "suite amenities" including access to the Concierge Lounge. You do not get the suite amenities with a JS.

There is a privacy curtain between the main bed and the sofa bed for sleeping.

I would definitely go for it.

If you google it on youtube, I'm sure you will come up with someone's video tour of a Radiance class OS.

I have stayed in OS's on Explorer, Radiance, Serenade and Grandeur. They are wonderful cabins. They are much larger than a JS and come with a number of amenities that are not even included in a GS, like the whirlpool tub, upgraded TV and sound systems. Also, you get a "Gold Card" with the OS and all the "suite amenities" including access to the Concierge Lounge. You do not get the suite amenities with a JS.

There is a privacy curtain between the main bed and the sofa bed for sleeping.

I would definitely go for it.

If you google it on youtube, I'm sure you will come up with someone's video tour of a Radiance class OS.

I'm pretty sure there is a bidet as well ;)

Just a point of reference - I am just off the Radiance on an Alaska cruise this past July and sailed in GS 1060, HUGE balcony on the hump. Overall, the GS's have a larger balcony than the OS on the Radiance no matter what cabin you sail in...the OS's on Radiance have smaller balconies as they take about a third of it away for the increased square footage for the bedroom area of the cabin. I learned that when sailing on the Brilliance in an OS and their cabin footprints are basically the same.

I would much prefer a GS on Radiance over a OS simply because of the balcony - and it comes with all the same amenities and gold card as an OS.

Just my opinion. Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is amazing!!!

Just a point of reference - I am just off the Radiance on an Alaska cruise this past July and sailed in GS 1060, HUGE balcony on the hump. Overall, the GS's have a larger balcony than the OS on the Radiance no matter what cabin you sail in...the OS's on Radiance have smaller balconies as they take about a third of it away for the increased square footage for the bedroom area of the cabin. I learned that when sailing on the Brilliance in an OS and their cabin footprints are basically the same.

I would much prefer a GS on Radiance over a OS simply because of the balcony - and it comes with all the same amenities and gold card as an OS.

Just my opinion. Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is amazing!!!

Isn't that the cabin next to RS? The dbl acting slider definitely brought the outdoors in. I think only 2 of the GS 's have that door

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Isn't that the cabin next to RS? The dbl acting slider definitely brought the outdoors in. I think only 2 of the GS 's have that door

No, 1060 is opposite the RS, on the forward side of the elevator. Just a regular slider, but a huge, deep balcony. Great to view the Hubbard Glacier.

And note to others who sail in suites to Alaska - they have terrific binoculars in the room for your use. Just wish I hadn't discovered them on living area side table under the TV on disembarkation day....:o

Karen

Edited by karen s

No, 1060 is opposite the RS, on the forward side of the elevator. Just a regular slider, but a huge, deep balcony. Great to view the Hubbard Glacier.

And note to others who sail in suites to Alaska - they have terrific binoculars in the room for your use. Just wish I hadn't discovered them on living area side table under the TV on disembarkation day....:o

Karen

:cool::)

The OS balcony on Radiance is smaller than the OS on Navigator - but we are talking degrees here. Even though the "old" OS layout had a smaller balcony to give more room to the bed area it's still big. I would still take it over the GS larger balcony to get the nicer room perks.

The OS balcony on Radiance is smaller than the OS on Navigator - but we are talking degrees here. Even though the "old" OS layout had a smaller balcony to give more room to the bed area it's still big. I would still take it over the GS larger balcony to get the nicer room perks.

I disagree - other than a bit bigger cabin at the expense of the balcony, the room perks between a GS and OS are the same on the Radiance. GS and above suite perks are all the same.

I have stayed on an OS on Navigator and GS and OS on Radiance/Brilliance (both before/after upgrade). The perks are the same - but if given a choice on the Radiance, I would go for the GS....lower cost, larger balcony....which is a plus on an Alaska cruise.

JMHO...whichever cabin you choose, your voyage will be fantastic!!

Karen - are you saying that they have refitted the Radiance GS to have the whirlpool tub, separate shower, bidet (not that anyone probably ever uses that), DVD player, sound system, etc, that you only get in the OS? I am not talking about the suite perks everyone in a GS or above gets, I am talking about the cabin amenities themselves. If I had the choice, I would take the OS cabin amenities and I just don't ever remember the balcony feeling that small. Also you do get the extra square footage in the cabin which is nice with 3 people staying in it. But that's just my opinion and my preference, of course. :)

No one can ever go wrong in a GS or above...

Karen - are you saying that they have refitted the Radiance GS to have the whirlpool tub, separate shower, bidet (not that anyone probably ever uses that), DVD player, sound system, etc, that you only get in the OS? I am not talking about the suite perks everyone in a GS or above gets, I am talking about the cabin amenities themselves. If I had the choice, I would take the OS cabin amenities and I just don't ever remember the balcony feeling that small. Also you do get the extra square footage in the cabin which is nice with 3 people staying in it. But that's just my opinion and my preference, of course. :)

You all just don't get how nice a bidet is. :D

Radiance is the one that has a section of the balcony turned into the seating area by the bed in the OS. That makes the balcony smaller than the GS balcony. I like having a balcony, but I can only be in one place at one time and don't hang out of the balcony for long so the smaller balcony doesn't metter to me. Not all Radiance class ships are this way.

The bathroom is still as it was in the GS on Radiance. No bidet, no separate shower. Even the separate shower doesn't feel that large to me. I tend to smack my elbows into the wall of it so I really prefer my shower in the bathtub rather than having the whirlpool tub sitting there that I'll never use. I could gladly give up the bidet, too. That being said, I still prefer an OS to a GS because it's larger and has the table you can eat at. I prefer the Radiance OS over the Serenade OS even though Serenade has the full size balcony.

Gina

GS do have the DVD player (it's actually a Playstation, I believe) and sound system. We used them on the TP earlier this year. The rest of the stuff, no, GS don't have them.

And I so want to try the bidet... maybe someday. :D

Oh, right, I forgot about the separate table you can eat at - great for having your MDR dinner served in the suite. I did that on Oasis in the GS and its weird eating off the coffee table. :)

On Oasis, the GS did not have the DVD or sound system, so I am surprised (but glad) to hear that they have added them to GS on other ships.

Funny, I'm not a small guy at all and I always think the shower size is good in OS - better than the standard cabin :) And I always use the whirlpool tub - at least one night. But as we can see, we all have our preferences...

Oh, right, I forgot about the separate table you can eat at - great for having your MDR dinner served in the suite. I did that on Oasis in the GS and its weird eating off the coffee table. :)

On Oasis, the GS did not have the DVD or sound system, so I am surprised (but glad) to hear that they have added them to GS on other ships.

Funny, I'm not a small guy at all and I always think the shower size is good in OS - better than the standard cabin :) And I always use the whirlpool tub - at least one night. But as we can see, we all have our preferences...

Women need some place to put a foot as they shave their legs. A real tub and shower is best for this purpose. :)

We loved being in a GS on the Radiance. Since then, we have booked OS for all the above reasons.

One thing we noticed is the overhang from the deck above that gives you quite a bit of protection from drizzle/rain while your on the balcony. The downside is, it will partially block your view of the glaciers, etc. when you're standing at the rail of your balcony. But, you can go out on deck to view those areas and take some awesome pictures.

Enjoy your cruise. The Radiance is a fantastic ship and Alaska is absolutely amazing!