Southampton Hotels

bertie1992

We use the Dolphin - free transfers - Wetherspoons to the right - fantastic steakhouse to the left and my mates bar opposite.

Agree - and have just booked a cracking deal for "Cruise and park" for my 2 cruises next year. Hotel and 15 nights parking (excluding transfers) is less than CPS parking for the cruise duration!:D And no payment upfront required - just a CC to guarantee booking.

Edited by Mysticalmother
spelling!

Hi

You could also try the Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue. We used this hotel on our last cruise. The rooms are nothing special but are clean and comfy. The food in the restaurant was really good (much to my surprise!). the location is amazing - you can't get much closer to the dock and if you are lucky and get a room facing the port you can watch the ships docking.

The parking and transfer were stress free. You just arrange with reception what size taxi you require and what time you would like it. Our's arrived bang on time and then on the way back you phone as soon as you leave the terminal and the taxi was there in about 3 mins!!!!! We were gobsmacked. We used self disembark and were off the ship and back in the Hotel within about 15mins which was great.

We have also used "The Hilton" too but preferred the "Holiday Inn". The Hilton is much further out and they use a coach for transfers which means you have to go when they tell you. Also on the return journey we sat waiting on the coach for ages for people to disembark some of whom just took a taxi and didn't bother to tell the hotel!!!!!! Not the hotels fault but meant we were sat waiting for a while.

Anyway - we were very happy with the Holiday Inn and have booked again for next year.

Sue:)

I wouldn't recommend Jury's Inn. It's stuck in the middle of a busy roundabout, really strange location. I was told the car park was secure, but it's a public car park under the hotel. The only security that I could see, was CCTV. The restaurant at breakfast was appalling with lots of tables piled high with uncleared plates etc. They also only include a one way transfer to the ship. Because, apparently, they don't know what time you'll be disembarking, and as everyone knows, no one can afford a mobile phone to let them know. My room didn't have a safe either.

A bit off thread but just want to mention it. It might help somebody.

We always travel the day before and because we know we will be pampered for l8 nights we stay in one of the budget hotels. The Premier Inn is actually in West Quay.. no parking for duration but we have parking at the port.

We have never stayed there but have seen reports from those that have.

Just want to say that I booked a few months ago at £35!!!!!! Exactly 8 weeks before our cruise (last week) the price for new bookers had more than trebled to just over £100. This may be because there are three ships in or some event.

So.... its worth booking as soon as you can, months before if possible.

We've done the Holiday Inn twice (Oct 2013 and April 2014) and have booked already for next year. The views from the room and location are well worth the cost.

We have used the Dolphin Hotel in the past and were disappointed by the customer service and quality of the room. This was about 5 years ago though so, to be fair to them it may have improved since.

:)

We always either stay at the Holiday Inn, or Premier Inn if the Holiday Inn is full.

Both are in a good location.

We have used the cruise and stay many times and would use again very smooth.

Suggest if you use them ask for a front facing room high up you can see the ships coming in.

Hayley

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue gets my vote too, we have used it for the last 3 years and if I book the cruise I have my eye on in June we will be there again. I haven't tried any of the other hotels but it is close to the action and you can see the ships come and go. I even popped to M&S on embarkation day to get a new dress shirt as mine was looking a bit threadbare on closer inspection.

We walk to the Wetherspoons for an evening meal and its nice to get a feel of the town. Must says the HI does an excellent breakfast and it was included in the price. They do "park and cruise" deals too but we prefer to use CPS as we drive straight home after the cruise.

Edited by CCFC

Stayed at:-

Premier Inn Southampton North x 1

Premier Inn Eastleigh x 1

Holiday Inn Eastleigh x 1

Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue x 6

Dolphin x 4

Like both the Dolphin & Holiday Inn(HWA) but would also stay at Premier Inn West Quay.

Edited by tjwa
typo

Thanks again everyone, I like the location of the Holiday Inn has its facing the Grand Harbour and we know that area well

And I agree nothing like a last minute shopping trip much to my husband's despair haha

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, us Potters have so much in common ;);)

PS Are you the red and white end of the City or the black and white ? We're a mix - me the B&W and hubby the R&W.

Edited by Presto2

I have to echo the comments about the Premier Inn West Quay in Southampton

Fantastic hotel, friendly staff, clean and spotless and have always had a great meal in the restuarant and breakfasts in the morning and EXTREMELY comfortable beds too

Cant remember what price I`ve paid before now but have stayed there 4x and its always been great

Also opposite the shopping centre and because I walk everywhere even with my suitcase its about 15mins walk to Ocean Terminal

100% a lot in common ;)

Same way round

But once again everyone thanks for your replies gutted about the Grand Harbour reviews

With regards to CPS parking, we depart and return to different terminals and don't fancy the coach ride across town

Different terminals make no difference to CPS, we have done this several times and the car has always been parked at the retuning terminal. Even when we choose to drive down a day early we still use CPS because we like the convenience of getting to the car within minutes of leaving the ship. We are both from R&W end of city.

Different terminals make no difference to CPS, we have done this several times and the car has always been parked at the retuning terminal. Even when we choose to drive down a day early we still use CPS because we like the convenience of getting to the car within minutes of leaving the ship. We are both from R&W end of city.

Agree - CPS always return your car to the returning terminal. Until this year I had always used CPS and although most of the time it has worked very well, there have been 2 occasions when I had to queue for some 5 - 10 mins before getting access to my car. Then the queue to get out of the car park. In June I stayed at the Holiday inn (Herbert walker avenue) - which incidentally was fine - and I got into a taxi at the port as soon as I got off the shop and was back at my car in the hotel car park within 5 mins. Have gone for the Dolphin this time because of the excellent package which is a lot cheaper than the Holiday Inn.

CPS and Parking4cruises are to my knowledge the only 2 companies that do meet & greet at the cruise terminals and wherever you leave or return to makes no difference to where your car is because when you leave they both drive cars to a car park withing the port area, could be 3-4 miles away, then return the car to the terminal you disembark from. The only real difference in the 2 companies is the price as both have had excellent reviews on forums in the past.

Edited by majortom10

100% a lot in common ;)

Same way round

But once again everyone thanks for your replies gutted about the Grand Harbour reviews

With regards to CPS parking, we depart and return to different terminals and don't fancy the coach ride across town

Sorry I missed this one !!!

A good day to share this info ;)

How secure are the car parks at Holiday Inn and Premier Inn West Quay?

The Holiday Inn Car Park is by the hotel, but can be entered by anyone. Having said that there is a barrier and you can't leave the car park without a card from Reception.

Have to note that you are yet another Potter ! I was beginning to think that Stoke on Trent is becoming the main cruising area for the UK until hubby mentioned that what SOT does have is the rich heritage of having the Capt of the Titanic come from these parts. ;)

Not sure what to say about that. :D