What style of sunglasses should I buy?

mafig

Not sure what is exactly in style--I get the ones that I think look good on me. I try to get the ones without huge eyes--so I won't look like a raccoon after wearing them in the sun--but that give me good protection too. I think the rimless shiny/silvery ones are popular judging from what I see a lot of in the mall stores. Whatever you feel comfortable with is a good rule of thumb. It is always fun looking!!

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

wow, they are back? Aren't they the ones that look like Motorcycle glasses? I cannot wear them icon_eek.gif.

They look too big for my face.

I have a pair that are a wire frame..sort of copper color wire...they look nice on me.

I think it is really what you are comfortable wearing!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Well, I've had quite a few pair of expensive sunglass and here are my recommendations. Also, I like to do what I can "the sunglasses test."

My all-time favorite sunglasses are Ray Ban. I like them the best because they have sooo many different styles and they pass my "sunglasses test."

My 2nd favorite are Maui Jims (lost a $150 pair at Disney World last summer icon_mad.gif). However, they almost failed my "sunglasses test," but they looked so cool I had to buy them. icon_wink.gif

My 3rd favorite are Oakleys. DH will ONLY wear Oakleys. He's had about 6 pair. Oakleys miserably fail my "sunglasses test."

Sunglasses Test:

1. Put the sunglasses on. Smile real big. If the glass "pop up," they fail.

2. Put the sunglasses on. If your eyelashes touch them, they fail.

<font color="#0000CC" face="Lydian Csv BT" size="4">~~Shelia~~</font></p>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some hot, must have style that I wasn't aware of.

Wierd Eyes - Your sunglass "test" really made me laugh! Actually I was thinking it would make a fun Candid Camera episode - the faces people make while trying on sunglasses.

Glad you enjoyed it! icon_biggrin.gif You should see me in the store trying them on. My son thinks it is hilarious. When we were on our Carnival cruise, I had a pair of Oakleys. In one of my pictures, I am smiling real big and my glasses are practically up off of my nose...it looked horrid! icon_eek.gif Anyway, that is when I started doing my "sunglasses test." icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I just bought a pair of Fossil's, that I have got more compliments on then I EVER have had on any pair of sunglasses...inexpensive or expensive...in the past!

They are framless and are a little mirrored, in pink. They are, I agree, awesome! You can buy them at your local department store.

Pink...is the color this year! LOL

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

Does anyone have a recommedation for "rose colored glasses"? It sounds like a joke, but I now see where the saying "She's looking at the world through rose colored glasses" comes from. Things are really a lot more beautiful that way icon_smile.gif

About 18 years ago, I bought some glasses with rose lenses for a Geology field trip to many Western national parks. I was blown away by how beautiful everything was. Shades of green were enhanced and the contrasts between the different shades were dramatic. Blues and browns were beautiful...I kept making exclamations about how lovely the simple views from the van windows were, and people didn't know what I was talking about. I looked through their dusty brown sunglasses and it was easy to see why.

I have been able to keep or re-acquire rose lenses every 2-4 years. The style seems to roll around every so often. This year my old pair is on it's last legs (Foster Grant's from a few years ago ) and I haven't been able to find a new pair.

I kept a long story long, but would love to know if anyone has a lead on something like this. I have seen the fashion pink lenses that are out there, but they seem to be just for fashion, not for functional shading. They are really light.

kbt2, I'll check the fossil counter this weekend!

Thanks! icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif (I need to find a happy with rose lenses too!)

If you have an outlet mall around you anywhere, some have a Fossil outlet! There is a great one about an hour from me--just got a Fossil watch there on Saturday for an excellent price! They have lots of purses, wallets, watches, sunglasses, and more for much less that you would pay in a regular mall. Just an idea!

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

I LOVE Fossil stuff! I need some smaller belts so I'll be heading to a Fossil outlet in a couple of weeks in Destin. I haven't thought about buying sunglasses from them. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Classic Gucci. My favourite of all time! The broad "legged" ones- tortoiseshell with the Gucci logo on the side, cant get better than that!

Re rose coloured. I also have a pair of "Chloe" glasses, rimless, chloe logo and yep, they are rose coloured!

Ray Bans - always my number one choice. My current ones are the Predator style (think Will Smith in Men In Black)- I just love them. I have to wear sunglasses that really block glare - those tiny little things that let sun in around the tops and sides do nothing for me. If I'm still squinting, then I won't wear them.

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Alot of good ideas from you all! Going to the mall on Friday, so I'll have to look.

I am rather careless with sunglasses, so I don't like to spend alot for them; that way if they'relost I don't cry too long or I'm not reluctant to wear them, thinking a trip to the grocery store is not for my "good" sunglasses.

I live in Florida, so I do require a darker lens (well, darker than pink).

Thanks again everyone!

I don't spend a lot of money on sunglasses because I'm afraid of losing them or breaking them. I would suggest that when looking at sunglasses, you make sure they are UVA/UVB protection.

I was told once by my eye doctor that rose colored glasses don't offer much protection for your eyes. I always look for smokey or dark gray, but green is ok, too. I don't care for yellow.

Do what someone else has already said, smile, if they pop up, no good -- if eyelashes touch, no good. Also, If you can't see clearly forward and peripherally, no good. You should not notice the frame when you're wearing them.

As far as style, I've seen so many different styles, I'm not sure what's in. I say go for what looks best on you.

Host Miriam

Community Supervisor

ldrscruisemir7@aol.com

I agree with everyone on the small lens/light tinting aspects. I need to have the sun really shaded! I have seen a difference in the "heavy duty" rose coloreds I am looking for (UVA/UVB protected and quite dark) and the fashion pinks that are around right now.

I was going to settle for a cute black lensed pair, but when I took them out to the garden center to test them out in the real sun, light came in from above the lenses and from the side. Needless to say, they went back on the rack.

HollyB,

I'll check out the Chloe's. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Weird Eyes--I love the outlet mall in Destin! I try to go everytime I visit my aunt in Ft. Walton Beach!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it also!!!! I drive down to Destin for the day sometimes just to shop there or hang out on the beach. I only live 3 hrs away so it is fun. I love the beach.

Sheila...I will buy you some lavender lotions and body washes if you buy me some fossils icon_wink.gif

I have NEVER heard of Fossils...except for the ones that are old bones LOL.... icon_biggrin.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Lois, Alot of cruise ships sell Fossil watches. You've probably seen them.

Just came back from JC Penneys. They had a sale - buy one get second for $1. I figured now I have to pick not one but two pair of glasses. Well, after smiling into the mirror for about 45 minutes, I had selected not two but three pair. Now, do I discard one or get another. You guessed it, I now have 4 pairs of sunglasses. (One is pink - I'll wear them on cloudy days.) Thanks for all your help!

Since I had my old reliables at home, you can say that I am sunglassed for quite a while.

I'm keeping out of the sunglass discussion - mine are prescription and a couple of years old. Could probably use a style update myself.

I'm throwing my two cents in for Fossil products. I love their bags. I have a large tote that fits a TON of stuff, two or three medium sized, and two smaller casual bags great for running around. They last forever! Of course that doesn't stop me from buying new ones.

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

You know those "blueblockers" the used to advertise on TV land now vendors set up stalls to sell them a lot cheaper?

Well, they make the world the same wonderful color that rose shades do.

I have to wear perscription for most occasions and cannot wear my blues all the time, except for sitting around the pool or riding with someone else driving. But I do then, because everything is such an incredibly beautiful color -- and they do block the "bad" rays from the sun.

love

joan

The pink or lilac type tinted J Lo style glasses - I think hers are Chloe's but that style is very popular - since I need prescription ones I had the thicker, chunkied frame ones - they look better on my chunky face icon_biggrin.gif

I never spent alot on mine either - there is an outlet in Lake George and every summer I used to pick up 5 or 6 pairs (2 for 15 - popular styles not name brand) and by Labor Day Id have already lost them all. I better not lose the scripted ones! I tend to go jet skiing with them on icon_rolleyes.gif

Enchantment Feb,2002; Monarch Nov,2002; Radiance Nov,2003; Golden Princess Feb 28,2004

E8jxdiZ9faFKEKEk7kLioMO+rbBbKHM20060.jpg

Archived