If you could add a feature to a ship, what would you add?

txflood33

This may sound a bit weird, but there are lectures on flowers, cooking and making towel animals that sound absolutely horrible to me. There are plenty of musicians on board anyway that know how to entertain the audience. So how about explaining some thing in music (modulation for instance) and getting the audience involved like Bobby McFerrin does in this video:

Hammocks as an option -- in the room, not on the balcony.

A conservatory or similar room with lots and lots of real plants in it.

On most Princess ships, there are alternative pool areas. You can avoid the MUTS screen if you like.

More electrical outlets!!

Coffee makers in every room.

Dining rooms that look out onto the ocean. Not just one window over on the side somewhere.

Full-length promenade decks -- partially enclosed, maybe, but not completely.

Better lectures, absolutely. Why do only the most expensive lines offer interesting speakers? Why not get some younger, hungrier instructors or graduate students to talk about DNA, or the War of 1812, or metaphor as irony, or -- ?? They can keep the towel-animal workshops for those who want them. I know my examples are exaggerated, but you get the point.

Nothing that --like a lazy river -- belongs in an amusement park, please.

A pool area, preferably for adults only, that really was quiet. No live or recorded music. If you heard a distant movie screen, ok, but the pool area itself was just plain quiet. Peace and quiet on the water.

Fun thread!

I'd like to see an IMAX theatre (along with nearly everything else already posted)

Though the lazy rive idea is wonderful, I'm wondering how they would monitor it and keep it clean. And keep random people from accidently falling in.

I'd like a full sized 18 hole golf course (I'd settle for a 2 X 9 hole). Now they wouldn't have to add it to each and every ship. They could build a special Golf Course barge that could be towed behind the ship for the itineraries with Sea Days. It would be a nice moneymaker for the cruise lines and as an added benefit it would solve all those Chair Hog issues on Sea Days that we all hear about!:D:p

A pool area, preferably for adults only, that really was quiet. No live or recorded music. If you heard a distant movie screen, OK, but the pool area itself was just plain quiet. Peace and quiet on the water.

Princess has them. Unlike the Sanctuary next door, they are free to use. :)

I don't know how quiet that pool is, but with no kids in the area, I can't imagine it would be noisy.

Fun thread!

I'd like to see an IMAX theatre (along with nearly everything else already posted)

Though the lazy rive idea is wonderful, I'm wondering how they would monitor it and keep it clean. And keep random people from accidentally falling in.

Same way they keep pools clean, of course. It is the same kind of water used in swimming pools. They are only about three feet deep and have a strong current plus there are lots of intertubes, so drowning is much harder in a lazy river than a swimming pool. If someone does fall in, he/she must be drunk.

I would set aside smoking cabins and balcony rooms.. also make sure there is a smoking lounge with a full service bar on every ship.. :cool:

I would also have the old fashion bon voyage confetti throwing when the ship left port.. Like i saw on the old Love Boat TV series.

Edited by squeeky336

Princess has them. Unlike the Sanctuary next door, they are free to use. :)

I don't know how quiet that pool is, but with no kids in the area, I can't imagine it would be noisy.

The adult pool on the Regal Princess still had music, though not real loud, thankfully. It was real disappointing to me because the walking track was loud and the ship everywhere was loud. I wanted a quiet space so bad.

I would like the ability to book reserved seats for shows. No longer having to rush to get a good seat & then wait for the show to begin. Could arrive at my leisure and be seated just before the show begins. Would eliminate the chair hogs reserving seats for people that never show up.

I would like the ability to book reserved seats for shows. No longer having to rush to get a good seat & then wait for the show to begin. Could arrive at my leisure and be seated just before the show begins. Would eliminate the chair hogs reserving seats for people that never show up.

Sounds like a good idea, but would it actually work?

As long as the shows were still free (no cost), seat reservations wouldn't change the "chair hogging" or empty seat situation -- folks would simply reserve seats in advance even if they weren't sure they intended to see the show, because there would be no cost to them for doing so. Tickets would have to be obtained (to prove you had reserved the seats), so standing in line at a ticket counter would replace coming early to get desired seats. Otherwise, waiting "in line" on the phone to make reservations ahead of time would be required, and even then, a walk to pick up one's tickets at the proper desk would still be necessary.

As in many situations, reserved seats that had not been claimed by a certain time (15 to 30 minutes?) before the show would be released for other people to use, so you would have to be in your reserved seats ahead of time, anyway, to keep them.

For shows that are free, I suppose the cruise lines figure folks are willing to put themselves out a little to take advantage of them. I don't think seat reservations would solve the problems you mentioned, but a charge for seats certainly would.

(And ultimately, are folks who are in the theater early to save a number of seats for their family and friends really "chair hogs" if everybody in their group actually shows up to use the seats? These folks are doing their friends and family a favor by keeping the entire group from having to be there early, the very thing you don't like to have to to do yourself. "Chair hogging" is generally thought to be reserving seats -- as in deck chairs -- that the hogs never use, or only use for a short time but continue to claim.)

Edited by SeagoingMom

Cirque du Soleil, brewery, high-end cigars, golf course, IMAX, botanical garden, lectures, Bobby McFerrin -- WOW! It sounds like New York City, Las Vegas or Orlando afloat! How much are ya'll willing to pay for these cruises?

Oh yeah, it's all tongue-in-cheek...right?

Of course, the time machine and anti-scooter electromagnetic field sound a bit like NASA afloat...

I agree with the poster who had logical reasons against reserved seating for shows. The current method that Princess has (three shows each night) helps get more passengers in while if you have people reserving seats ahead of time but not necessarily showing up, there could be quite a bit of empty seats or people ticked off if the crew members start filling up the no show seats and the ticket holders show up late.

I would love to see cubbyholes be installed by the pool deck so that people can place their items there, instead of on a deck chair they don't plan to use anyway. These are often used in toddler play areas for their shoes, and I don't recall any problems.

I think the space where smoking is allowed should actually be shrinked. There are fewer and fewer (attrition, especially through death) smokers all the time. It's also less costly for the cruise line -- less space that has to be cleaned of cigarette butts, destinked, etc. We went on the Paradise when it was no-smoking and it was the cleanest ship (no carpet holes, clean smelling) of any ship we've been on, and the passengers were honestly the most nicest.

And being on some trivia teams that were tied for first, even after one or two tiebreakers....I think in those cases, the ship could give up another set of those cheap prizes to the second place teams.

More cruise ships with single cabins and common meet-up areas like NCL has.

Yes please - and don't make them more expensive than regular insides.

Why aren't NCL and RCI converting some inside cabins to singles on older ships now that they have them on new ships?

I would love for ships to have solo cabins with verandahs at something resembling less than 200% fare we now pay for any verandah cabin. I don't mind if it is small*ish* but I don't want a cabin without some sort of verandah.

Sounds like a good idea, but would it actually work?

As long as the shows were still free (no cost), seat reservations wouldn't change the "chair hogging" or empty seat situation -- folks would simply reserve seats in advance even if they weren't sure they intended to see the show, because there would be no cost to them for doing so. Tickets would have to be obtained (to prove you had reserved the seats), so standing in line at a ticket counter would replace coming early to get desired seats. Otherwise, waiting "in line" on the phone to make reservations ahead of time would be required, and even then, a walk to pick up one's tickets at the proper desk would still be necessary.

As in many situations, reserved seats that had not been claimed by a certain time (15 to 30 minutes?) before the show would be released for other people to use, so you would have to be in your reserved seats ahead of time, anyway, to keep them.

For shows that are free, I suppose the cruise lines figure folks are willing to put themselves out a little to take advantage of them. I don't think seat reservations would solve the problems you mentioned, but a charge for seats certainly would.

(And ultimately, are folks who are in the theater early to save a number of seats for their family and friends really "chair hogs" if everybody in their group actually shows up to use the seats? These folks are doing their friends and family a favor by keeping the entire group from having to be there early, the very thing you don't like to have to to do yourself. "Chair hogging" is generally thought to be reserving seats -- as in deck chairs -- that the hogs never use, or only use for a short time but continue to claim.)

I think there is enough add on up sell stuff on cruises.. everything from restaurants and pictures and booze.. entertainment is suppose to be free.. I think it is up to the cruise line to have enough seats for ppl to see the show. I think polite reminders to ppl that they CANT"t save a row of seats for ppl coming in last minute. .. Same for chairs at the pool.. If the chair is empty i would just sit in it.

Edited by squeeky336

I would like to see at least one elevator at each elevator bank restricted to wheel chair passengers and those with canes or walkers. People can be so rude.

But there are a lot of people not in a wheelchair or using canes or walkers that have mobility issues.

I spent 5 years in a wheelchair and stairs are still a big problem. How about instead we just revert to showing goof old fashioned courtesy. Believe me people in wheelchairs or with walking aids can be as rude as those without.

I would like to see at least one elevator at each elevator bank restricted to wheel chair passengers and those with canes or walkers. People can be so rude.

I don't think the 2000 ppl on a ship should have to climb 5 or 6 flights of stairs so a few ppl in Wheelchairs or walkers can have elevators to themselves.. That is nuts.. The ship would be empty.

Elevators are busy on cruise ships for everyone.. not just ppl with wheelchairs.. a little patience helps everybody..

:eek:

Edited by squeeky336

Cirque du Soleil, brewery, high-end cigars, golf course, IMAX, botanical garden, lectures, Bobby McFerrin -- WOW! It sounds like New York City, Las Vegas or Orlando afloat! How much are ya'll willing to pay for these cruises?

Oh yeah, it's all tongue-in-cheek...right?

Of course, the time machine and anti-scooter electromagnetic field sound a bit like NASA afloat...

Tongue in cheek? If I can make a five gallon batch of beer at home for $40-$60, surely the cruise lines can offer at least more than the InBev conglomerate line of beers. In fact, I believe Carnival is already planning to have an operating brewery on board a new ship. The wife knows we might have to break our loyalty to Royal for a few days. :)