Kids pricing for the specialty restaurants

I noticed recently that RCCL has added a reduced price option for kids in the specialty restaurants. Anyone know any of the details on this?

Pricing for children 6-12 is $8 and 5 and under is n/c. If you book in advance you will pay the full price but then it will be adjusted for the children's price as a credit on your SeaPass on board. Bookings made on board will be charged the reduced rate when booked.

I noticed recently that RCCL has added a reduced price option for kids in the specialty restaurants. Anyone know any of the details on this?

I believe it's either $6 or $8 for kids in specialty restaurants, and there are kids menus too. There are two restaurants that don't have kids menus/prices, but the names escape me at the moment. Might have been 150 Central Park and another.

I was concerned about booked prior to the cruise - as we wanted to take advantage of the 20% discount for dining on the first night - that will give us OBC for the difference in price PLUS the 20%? Nice!

The kids are 8 & 11 so they would be $8 - that's a steal!

This is a relatively new policy and we have not had taken advantage of it as our children are all adults, so I can't answer from direct experience. But in looking at the website "fine print" I'm not sure if the adjustment made for children's pricing for pre-booked reservations is an actual OBC or a credit made to the final bill.

Here is how RCI states it:

*Reserve before you sail, and prices will be adjusted for kids once you are aboard, and reflected in your final account statement.

Somewhat unclear to me how that actually is credited. Maybe someone with direct experience can confirm.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I was concerned about booked prior to the cruise - as we wanted to take advantage of the 20% discount for dining on the first night - that will give us OBC for the difference in price PLUS the 20%? Nice!

The kids are 8 & 11 so they would be $8 - that's a steal!

Found the link for the dining packages:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/dining_discount_packages.pdf

This is a relatively new policy and we have not had taken advantage of it as our children are all adults, so I can't answer from direct experience. But in looking at the website "fine print" I'm not sure if the adjustment made for children's pricing for pre-booked reservations is an actual OBC or a credit made to the final bill.

Here is how RCI states it:

*Reserve before you sail, and prices will be adjusted for kids once you are aboard, and reflected in your final account statement.

Somewhat unclear to me how that actually is credited. Maybe someone with direct experience can confirm.

Since ages of people on any booking are not required, and prices shown are for Adults, it should work the same as when you prebook a restaurant and then use a BOGO coupon for D+ and PC Members at the conclusion of the meal. You pay full price at the time of booking from home and then you are credited for one meal once on board which will show up as an OBC.

Children would be charged an adult rate, but then the difference of $6 or $8 would be subtracted from the adult rate and the difference credited back to your SeaPass card in the form of OBC which would be totally refundable at the end of your cruise.

Edited by cruisenfever

Since ages of people on any booking are not required, and prices shown are for Adults, it should work the same as when you prebook a restaurant and then use a BOGO coupon for D+ and PC Members at the conclusion of the meal. You pay full price at the time of booking from home and then you are credited for one meal once on board which will show up as an OBC.

Children would be charged an adult rate, but then the difference of $6 or $8 would be subtracted from the adult rate and the difference credited back to your SeaPass card.

All of this is totally refundable OBC.

Thanks for the clarification. It wasn't clear to me as a question of timing on the credit if it would be an OBC to use during the cruise or as a final bill adjustment.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Would the kids then need to order from a preset kids' menu?

That's how I understand it. If they want to eat off the adult menu then it's full price. I'll find out in December.

There's no way my kids will eat off the kids menu at chops. Last time there they both ate and finished the large filet.

We sailed on Freedom end of August and Carol (Merion Mom) was kind enough to check with the Chops manager about whether the $8 would mean only off the kids menu. My 12 yo wanted the small filet, but he doesn't really eat the appetizers (from either menu). She was told that they had a filet for kids.

We sailed and ate there on night 4 (they were hosting a private event the first night when we wanted to use my mom's BOGO D+ coupon). I told the waiter that he was 12, he wanted a filet, and would we be charged the adult or kids price. He charged us the $8 for him and all was good.

He really only ate the filet and the new cheesy tater tots. No appetizer or other sides. So I didn't feel badly about paying less.

If your child will eat all courses off the adult menu, I can't say what they will do.

We sailed on Freedom end of August and Carol (Merion Mom) was kind enough to check with the Chops manager about whether the $8 would mean only off the kids menu. My 12 yo wanted the small filet, but he doesn't really eat the appetizers (from either menu). She was told that they had a filet for kids.

We sailed and ate there on night 4 (they were hosting a private event the first night when we wanted to use my mom's BOGO D+ coupon). I told the waiter that he was 12, he wanted a filet, and would we be charged the adult or kids price. He charged us the $8 for him and all was good.

He really only ate the filet and the new cheesy tater tots. No appetizer or other sides. So I didn't feel badly about paying less.

If your child will eat all courses off the adult menu, I can't say what they will do.

Thanks. One just has the filet and the other has the filet and salad. Definitely worth checking. Was it the regular sized filet or a smaller one for kids?