Just off Grandeur - My thoughts

EMED2010

We sailed on Grandeur for the first time Sept 12-18 to Bermuda. This was our first time on Grandeur and on this class of ship. We previously sailed Brilliance and Explorer.

I have to say I loved the smaller ship. It was easy to get around, there was plenty to do and I really do love the Centrum area over the Promenade mall-like area. On this ship, you are always close to the sea. My problem with the promenades on the larger ships is that you are missing out seeing the ocean.

For the first time, we did not have a balcony.

We had an oceanview on Deck 2. It was not too bad and I wouldn't hesitate to book that type of room again. It was also kind of cool to be that close to the water when looking out. We were midship and right outside the elevator doors. We only had noise on the first night from the steward closet which was across the hall. After that it was quiet and very smooth. I mostly used the stairs which were right there and very convenient.

As for the smells I've read about, we did not smell anything unusual. We had no toilet problems either.

Food: We were very satisfied with the main dining room. One or two things were hit or miss but that's normal anywhere. We had My Time Dining and requested the same servers each night since we enjoyed them so much (Monoj and Vincent). The kümmelwick sandwich at Park Cafe was as yummy as everyone said it was. They also had a scrambled egg/chili wrap at breakfast which was very good. Giovanni's offered a brunch for $20/person which included a kitchen tour and all the bellinis and mimosas you could drink. It was really good and a lot of fun. The only downside was Windjammer. It was pretty much the same thing every day with slight changes and what was there was not that great. The Windjammer on Explorer was so good and had little stations with a huge variety.

My husband got the regular drink package since he is a beer drinker with wine at dinner. It worked out really well for him. I enjoy the drink of the day and then a good wine at dinner so I did not get a package. It was nice that both people did not have to have it and for us, it saved money. I brought my own bottles of wine on board and never opened them. This is the second time I've done this and I am not going to bother anymore.

Zumba! Katy offered classes on the pool deck and three of the mornings and she did a great job! I hope more ships start doing this.

Baltimore: Easy in and out - loved it

Activities/Shows- We didn't do a whole lot. Saw the aerial show which was night. Went to the Quest which was the wildest one I saw. Schooner bar- loved the violinists, they were excellent. There was a guy that sang Billy Joel every night - that got a bit old after the first time. We watched the Art Auction one day, belly flop contest, sexiest man, 70's show - all were very cute.

Bermuda was awesome! We rented scooters for two days and parked them near the ship. We went to St. George, snorkels at Tobacco Bay, got sea glass at Alexandria Battery, swam at Jobsons Cove and Horseshoe Beach, lunch at Swizzle Inn, Gibbs Lighthouse, etc.

All in all it was a great cruise and I would sail Grandeur again and sail out of Baltimore again.

Very nice review.

I wonder how many people will miss sailing on a vision class ship because it is 'too small'? Seems like most of the reviews done on these ships state how great the staff was and how the reviewer was surprised how nice a small ship can be on a cruise.

Glad you had a good time.

Craig

My husband got the regular drink package since he is a beer drinker with wine at dinner. It worked out really well for him. I enjoy the drink of the day and then a good wine at dinner so I did not get a package. It was nice that both people did not have to have it and for us, it saved money. I brought my own bottles of wine on board and never opened them. This is the second time I've done this and I am not going to bother anymore.

I'm surprised you didn't use your wine as you both drink it at dinner. I think it's nice to be able to pour yourself a nice glass of wine in your cabin and bring it to dinner.

We use the lounges so we don't usually order wine at dinner, but I often bring a glass of white to lunch.

We are looking forward to sailing on the Grandeur in November. We've only sailed on the Explorer. I'm looking forward to a smaller ship and relaxing.

Have a great time! I recognize you - I read your Explorer review when we were planning our Explorer cruise!:)

We loved Explorer! Hoping to love Grandeur just as much.

Hi Kelly,,,How are you guys doing? Is doug still driving OTR or has the relish business taken off yet? Virginia and I are doing the grandeur the end of march so you will have to let us know how you liked her.

Best Wishes,,

Tony

Hi Kelly,,,How are you guys doing? Is doug still driving OTR or has the relish business taken off yet? Virginia and I are doing the grandeur the end of march so you will have to let us know how you liked her.

Best Wishes,,

Tony

Hey Tony! Doug is still driving, but is home every other morning. He has a run up near Boston.

Thanks for the review. We're thinking of taking Grandeur in October 2015 to Florida and the Bahamas. Our cruise will have several sea days and I'm wondering what kind of activities are available during the day. On our cruise to Canada Holland America offered cooking classes, wine tastings and computer classes. Is this offered on Grandeur?